C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Opinions on Best Shocks & Struts

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 03:18 PM
carsofchaos
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Opinions on Best Shocks & Struts

Hi All,
I know this has been covered in the past, but I thought perhaps a more recent update to this subject is in order with newer/fresher opinions.
My 1988 came with the Z52 package and Bilstein shocks. At some unknown point in the past, the previous owner installed KYB Gas-A-Just front and rear.
At this point the KYBs look kinda tired. On one hand I'd like to go back to the Bilstein as that's what the car originally came with. I like the look/have heard good things about the QA1's (not looking at the adjustable ones, though).
Can anyone with actual experience chime in on what they prefer between these three types of shocks & struts? Just curious to get some feedback on what people liked best.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:23 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by carsofchaos
Hi All,
I know this has been covered in the past, but I thought perhaps a more recent update to this subject is in order with newer/fresher opinions.
My 1988 came with the Z52 package and Bilstein shocks. At some unknown point in the past, the previous owner installed KYB Gas-A-Just front and rear.
At this point the KYBs look kinda tired. On one hand I'd like to go back to the Bilstein as that's what the car originally came with. I like the look/have heard good things about the QA1's (not looking at the adjustable ones, though).
Can anyone with actual experience chime in on what they prefer between these three types of shocks & struts? Just curious to get some feedback on what people liked best.
I may be able to give you some advice, I replaced the Bilsteins (Z51 suspension) on my GrandSport with another new set of Bilsteins to correct a handling issue I was having which came from the installation of Polyurethane bushings in the rear suspension (and then switched to full Banski Heim Rods which made the handling slightly worst).
The new Bilsteins made absolutely no difference in correcting my problem.
I then purchased 4 QA1 double adjustable shocks from Summit Racing. First I had a mounting issue on the rear shock eyelet. I called QA1 (terrible customer service at least for me) they said they knew nothing about this and suggested I add some spacers!
I machined two spacers to fit the mounts perfectly. Went for a ride and the car was bouncing and oscillating like I had a horse and carriage for a vehicle. I tried adjusting per instructions, then I called customer service at QA1 yet again and got no where.
Called Summit Racing and told them the situation and they said they would give me full credit towards a new set of shocks. I asked them what they recommended for my 96 Z51 Vette. They told me that the Ridetech shocks are excellent, they are only a single adjustable (rebound) but should work really well.
So I swapped them out. Now to be fair the QA1 shocks after removal were leaking at the piston on two of the four shocks (mind you I never put 4 miles on the shocks) maybe they were defective? Don't know!
But the Ridetechs are really well made (made in collaboration with FOX), the minute I put them on what a difference in handling. I settled on a firm setting but you can make them smoother then the Bilsteins if that is what you prefer. It is all just a **** click away. And the ***** are easy to access and the fitment was dead on (order the Corvette Set of four so they send you the correct application because you can order them front or rear only but those are universal and may have the wrong mounting hardware).
In my opinion Ridetechs are fantastic shocks and they warranty them for a million and one miles.
Goodluck with your choice!
The following users liked this post:
carsofchaos (03-08-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 07:27 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

I agree with grandspt about the Ridetechs.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:19 AM
carsofchaos
Advanced

Great info on the Ridetechs I had not considered them before. Sounds like a miserable experience with the Q1's...perhaps yours were defective but sounds like the customer service experience alone is bad enough to make me shy away from them.
My ride is pretty much stock as I have not done any crazy mods to it other than Borla exhaust. In the past (and on a couple different cars) I've had mixed feelings about the KYBs which is why I am looking to possibly ditch the current KYBs in my Vette. While I can handle a stiff ride fairly well the condition of New Jersey roads are not kind to a car with extremely stiff suspension. So I am looking for a happy medium.
I have had a couple people tell me they noticed no difference between the performance of the Bilsteins and the KYBs, so I'm a bit clueless as to why people would pay 2x as much for the Bilstein setup as the KYBs if there is little to no difference in ride. Maybe people like the yellow color?
Old 03-08-2019, 08:54 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by carsofchaos
I have had a couple people tell me they noticed no difference between the performance of the Bilsteins and the KYBs, so I'm a bit clueless as to why people would pay 2x as much for the Bilstein setup as the KYBs if there is little to no difference in ride. Maybe people like the yellow color?
There's a big, big difference between the KYBs and Bilsteins or Ridetechs. The KYBs are a twin-tube design with very simple valving that provides too much damping force over high (suspension) speed bumps and not nearly enough low-speed damping force to manage body roll in transitions. They will fade in high performance driving due to heat and foam buildup. They are also not very long-lasting. The Bilsteins are a monotube design with a good valve body. I tend to not like the way they come valved off the shelf in the cars I've tried them on. But they do last, and they won't fade in high performance driving. They can be custom-valved for a wide range of damping forces and damping curves, but then you're into real money. The Ridetechs have all the advantages of Bilsteins, as far as I can see, but they add rebound adjustability. They also add a million-mile (effectively lifetime) warranty. That they can do all of that for ~$700 makes them a bargain.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:03 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I currently have Z51 Bilsteins (B8) on one car and KYB's on another car. I have also had the base Bilsteins (B6) on a couple. The Bilsteins are better shocks.

The KYB is the softest street ride of the three.

My preference is the Z51 (B8) shock (even on a base suspension car). They are firmer, but still not harsh. My experience with the Bilstein shocks on a bunch of cars is that they last very well. Basically they may be the last shock you need to buy for your car.

I have heard a lot of reports where the KYB do not last very well. So far mine are fine, but I bought the car with them on it and don't have many miles on it yet.

About 25 or 30 years ago, KYB was the oem supplier to the car manufacturer I was an engineer for. They had problems. I worked at their plant quite a few times over several months trying to make improvements. At that time even when improvements were made, their management had problems that they could not control their processes. I repeatedly found problems at their plant and many times it was the same problem that they had before. They were a very poor manufacturer. I hope they have improved since then, but I will never buy their shocks because of the experience that I had with them.

Good luck.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:54 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

KYB is a shock for someone who just cruises. I definitely recommend Bilstein.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:23 PM
carsofchaos
Advanced

Thanks guys all this info is very helpful and what I was looking for: reports from people who've had experience. I am definitely ready to ditch the KYB setup.
For about 3 seconds I was happy to find a full set of Ridetech's on Ebay for $490 that were almost new (mounted one time according to the seller) but sadly these are for 89 and up Vettes but thought I'd mention it in case someone is interested. Here's the link for those: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ridetech-HQ...e3a0%7Ciid%3A1
Really wish I could use them on my 1988!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on Best Shocks & Struts

Quick Reply: Opinions on Best Shocks & Struts