Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Vibration

Old 03-13-2019, 01:38 AM
84lover

Default Vibration

When i get to around 50 or 60 it feels like a drive train vibration but if i accelerate it smooths out. My first thought is u-joints....agree or disagree?
Old 03-13-2019, 02:47 AM
95LT1ZF
CF Senior Member

I've had tires out of balance that would only vibrate at certain speeds.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:34 AM
84lover

but this doesnt fel like a tire it fels like its up the midle undewr my ***
Old 03-13-2019, 12:47 PM
ctmccloskey
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Depending on which tire and just how out of round it is the sensation of the vibration can move around. Take all four wheels off and check their balance first. On my daily driver I have a front left tire that feels out of balance until it reaches operating temperature. The fact that it goes away at other speeds means it probably is a tire doing it to you. Anything else would be constant and get worse as you accelerate. If it was a front tire that was badly out of balance the steering wheel would shake and you would be aware of it.

I have 103,000 miles on my 1988 and it has never made any vibration other than from the wheels that I could feel. Your rear wheels are not far from "under my ***") as you so aptly described. The rear wheels are more likely to be out of balance and cause the sensation under your butt. Drive shafts U-Joints make a lot of noise while they are failing naturally.
I have exploded a out half shaft u-joint but with a 550+ hp C3 it is easy to do if you are abusive to the car. I replaced the drive shaft U-joints while the engine was out of the car, it was a lot easier to do it then.

There is an important saying that I have trouble with at times. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Too often when looking for a problem we make five or six new ones while we are at it. These Corvettes were well engineered and are good reliable transportation normally. My 1988 Corvette is virtually stock with only ignition modifications on the car. It gets 30 mpg on the highway even with the Rear end "Performance Ratio" of 3.07 and the anemic L98 while cruising along at 60 with the A/C on listening to the stereo. Take some time and learn to enjoy your Corvette! We are here to help those with questions so keep us posted on what you found, how you fixed it and so on.

I wish you the very best in getting your Corvette running properly!
Chris
Old 03-13-2019, 10:18 PM
84lover

thank you for your insight...you are correct
I enjoy that car even when I have to fix something
Old 03-13-2019, 10:39 PM
81c3
CF Senior Member

A quick way to check things.....Get the car up to speed and put it in neutral.... if you still feel the vibration its tires, wheel or wheel bearing related...... If its gone then look toward the drive line related components...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 81c3 For This Useful Post:
84lover (03-15-2019), ctmccloskey (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 02:14 PM
95LT1ZF
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 81c3 View Post
A quick way to check things.....Get the car up to speed and put it in neutral.... if you still feel the vibration its tires, wheel or wheel bearing related...... If its gone then look toward the drive line related components...
Great point. I've done this many times over the years and it led to tire issues every time. Now, one of the first things I do to every car I get is purchase the lifetime alignment and balance at my local shop. Well worth the money to have an alignment check and balance on a regular basis,

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: