C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Do you use a "water wetter"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 03:46 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I know a lot of guys (myself included) mix STP with ATF to install lip seals and molded parts, because it's just about the slickest thing imaginable. To such a degree it can even be difficult to hold on to parts coated with it.

Not sure it benefits your bearings, but it definitely earned a place in the shop anyway.

It absolutely does something.

Last edited by confab; 03-27-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:59 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
THe "german airplanes" story doesn't jibe with WIKI's report; STP started in 1953.

An interesting quote from the article:
"In 1976, STP faced a consumer protection order that required it to have scientific backing for certain statements and prohibited making false claims. In 1978, it paid a $500,000 civil penalty over claims. In 1995, STP paid $888,000 to settle Federal Trade Commission charges of false advertising"

I'm suing Goering
Old 03-27-2019, 04:28 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

My friends and I used to drag race every Friday night out at Maryland International Raceway in our 94-96 impalas, which have the same LT1 engine as the C4. We never saw any consistent results from Water Wetter - some guys thought it made a difference, some guys didn't. I think a lot of the guys who saw a difference saw what they wanted to see. You're better off using the minimum amount of anti-freeze for your climate. Or better yet, run 100% water with a corrosion protection additive like Prestone makes and either drain the cooling system for the winter or replace some of the water with antifreeze.

Like others have posted, make sure your cooling system is working at 100%. Have your coolant tank cap tested, and make sure your fans are working correctly. The electric fans in our impalas had a habit of running more and more slowly, instead of failing completely. Pull the relays in the underhood fuse box that run the fans and see if the plastic next to the prongs looks scorched. If it does, I'd suggest replacing the fan motors and the relays as well. You used to could buy just the refurbished motors at the auto parts store for about $45 apiece, don't know what the price would be these days.

The best mod there is for traffic, assuming your fans are working correctly, is an electric water pump. They have two versions - a model that replaces the mechanical pump, and one that operates as a supplement to the mechanical water pump. The replacement pump is cheaper, but you will need to buy two because if the unit fails with no spare you will be stuck vs. replacing it in about 10 minutes and just needing a gallon of water to get back on the road. The supplemental pump is more fail safe in that if it fails you still have the mechanical pump. Both versions help in traffic because they flow 100% all the time no matter what rpm the engine is running at.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:16 PM
woodcrest
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello, are you familiar with part number 40372 from Corvette America? I am trying to hook it up, but am having trouble locating the relay for the main engine fan, they are in the underhood fuse box? But I cannot locate a fuse box under the hood. Also, where would I get an electric pump that supplements the mechanical pump? Thanks
Old 04-03-2019, 08:00 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by woodcrest
Hello, are you familiar with part number 40372 from Corvette America? I am trying to hook it up, but am having trouble locating the relay for the main engine fan, they are in the underhood fuse box? But I cannot locate a fuse box under the hood. Also, where would I get an electric pump that supplements the mechanical pump? Thanks
For the supplemental pump, try Stewart Components. They make all kinds of high performance water pumps, btw, not just electric ones. Also check out their faq. Lots of good stuff.

On the location of the underhood fuse box, I've never owned a C4. On my impala it was in the engine bay closest to the passenger door. My suggestion, if you can't find a diagram online, is to follow your battery's positive cable. It will lead you to the fuse box.

Quick Reply: Do you use a "water wetter"?