C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Building a sub-5s 0-60 L98

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 09:01 AM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

I bought my less than 80000 mile LQ9, with a brand new C6 accessories kit (including AC compressor) for $1200 four years ago, so you can find them. Came with ECM and truck exhaust. I'm pretty sure that the LS truck intake will fit under the hood, the area near the throttle body would be close though. Originally I thought the engine was a core and needed to be rebuilt.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:03 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Hey Mike, If you could post what mods and what obstacles you ran into putting the LQ9 in your vette, I sure would like to read about it. If you already have, could you supply a link?

FWIW, IMO I think its great to see LS conversions, BBC conversions, LT1-4 builds, and SBC builds. Variety is hot rodding at its best.

There are advantages and disadvantages to all of the above combos. I can fairly accurately post what it has taken to get my LT1 to run low 11's and if I can get time to get back to the track, I think I will be in the 10's with my converter change. (3000 to a 4400)

The LS conversions hold a lot of interest for me, Heck I even looked at putting one in my 87 dakota, (yes they even make mounts for that!!) But could not come up with a decent 5 speed, 4wd setup. I just dont want an automatic in that truck.

Again, hopefully you will give details. I would love to read them.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:17 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

I own a 85 vette. I thought the swap was pretty easy. I originally was going to see how everything works, then rip it all apart again but with a built engine, but honestly it has worked better than expected. My most of my dash works (doesn't calculate fuel mileage), cruise works and I could have installed AC, but I'm lazy.

2005 LQ9 6.0L 2005 C5 accessory kit, 10:1 compression, 71cc 317 heads, ebay LS engine mount plates (I reused my stock L98 engine mounts), ebay special shorty headers, china 102mm throttle body (drive by cable), fast EZ LS efi, aftermarket intake, LS3 injectors. I reused the LQ9 flex plate and still using the stock radiator/fuel pump. I moved my engine ahead 0.5in and everything fits like its suppose to. I tig welded my C beam as I moved the engine forward. C6 Z51 brakes and wheels, quick steer rack, home made 3in dual exhaust. Cheap ebay efi fuel regulator.

Took me about a week to install and get running. I'm thinking about LS swap my 2001 dodge ram 1500 to a LS 6L and 6L80 transmission/Tcase. Way easier to do that swap than hot rod the stock dodge engine.

Quick Reply: Building a sub-5s 0-60 L98