C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Belt tensioner pully question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 02:48 AM
MaineJim
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Belt tensioner pully question

Hi all,i need to replace the belt tensioner pulley on my 1992 LT1 and have a question.
Is the bolt that holds the pulley a left handed thread? as in to loosen it turn clockwise ? or is it counterclockwise?
Thank you in advance.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:30 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Left hand thread for pulley bolt, it probably has blue loc tite on it also. Clockwise to loosen. Counter clock wise to tighten and release tension on belt.
The following users liked this post:
MaineJim (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 01:41 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
Left hand thread for pulley bolt, it probably has blue loc tite on it also. Clockwise to loosen. Counter clock wise to tighten and release tension on belt.
I don't remember this being the case... but its been about 9 months since I replaced mine. Look at how it is installed on the car. If you put a wrench or socket on it to push it over for the belt install/removal that will be the direction that tightens it. Opposite will remove it.

I had to pull mine out to replace the pulley. This required I remove the power steering pulley with a puller to get in there.
MaineJim (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 06:03 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by KyleF
I don't remember this being the case... but its been about 9 months since I replaced mine. Look at how it is installed on the car. If you put a wrench or socket on it to push it over for the belt install/removal that will be the direction that tightens it. Opposite will remove it.
I agree. To add to this, the FSM for my 96 doesn't have any notes about it being left-hand threaded. You'd think they would say something if it were.
MaineJim (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 09:58 PM
MaineJim
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok guys thank you for your input,my FSM doesn't mention a left handed thread either.

Get notified of new replies

To Belt tensioner pully question

Quick Reply: Belt tensioner pully question