C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ostrich 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 01:51 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Ostrich 2.0

Will the Ostrich 2.0 work with my 1991 base, Auto, For tuning? Does it need any additional parts?
appreciate the feedback if anyone has experience with it.

TIA
Old 05-12-2019, 06:42 AM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

I have used it on my 90, You need the memcal adapter that connects to the ribbon cable and I had to use the short ribbon cable to get it to work, also none of the bins I got off the internet would work with the ostrich, The only bin that would work with the ostrich is the bin from my original memcal
Old 05-12-2019, 06:58 AM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I have used the ostrich for over two years on my 89 and love it. I had the longer ribbon cable but it was causing problems. I went back to standard length cable included with the kit, and everything is back to normal and working great

Last edited by mlm0; 05-13-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:19 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Absolutely !!! TunerCat or TunerPro needed along with G1 adapter card. Get it with a 6" ribbon cable. Longer ribbon cables can cause issues.

Last edited by BlowerWorks; 05-12-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:54 PM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Thanks all for the feedback I appreciate it.
It can be connected all the time right?

Doesn’t the ribbon and the connectors comes in the box as a package? From Moates?

TIA
Old 05-12-2019, 04:11 PM
mlm0
Drifting

In all comes in the package. You have to leave it connected all the time unless you burn a chip once you make all the changes you want. I just leave mine connected because I am learning and making changes as I learn
Old 05-13-2019, 07:34 PM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZEROVETTE7
Thanks all for the feedback I appreciate it.
It can be connected all the time right?

Doesn’t the ribbon and the connectors comes in the box as a package? From Moates?

TIA
The ribbon cable that comes with it is to long and may cause problems on your 91, you want to also order the short 6 inche cable
Old 05-13-2019, 08:15 PM
mlm0
Drifting

To use the ostrich, you have to leave it connected ALL the time, because once you disconnect it, all the changes you made will go away. In simple terms, the ostrich takes the place of your mem cal in your computer ecu, which the car needs to operate. What you are really doing is piggy backing on your cars ome mem cal, by using a Moates g2 adapter.
I am using tuner pro rt with my ostrich. With the ostrich you can make changes as you are operating your car. This allows you to see how your car reacts to the changes real time. Once you are happy with your changes, you can drive your car with the ostrich plugged in, or you can save the changes to a tuner pro file and burn a chip to replace the ostrich in your ecu and plug it into your g2 adapter to replace the ostrich . I have been very basic with what you have to do, but there are a lot more things you can do with tuner pro. If you make changes, be sure you understand as best you can, what the changes will do or cause before you do them. The best thing is none of the changes are permanent. Just unplug the ostrich, the g2 adapter and re install your ome mem cal back in you ecu. Back to stock. There are people on this forum who know a lot more then I do about tuner pro or the ostrich, and I’m sure you will be able to get help. Be advise there is a learning curve to this process, so be prepared to spend some time on researching what you want to do. I have made changes to my fan temperature settings as to when I want them to come on and go off, idle rpm, egr delete, disabled vats, and tuned my air fuel settings at idle. I do not have a wide band 02 yet. Good luck

Mike

Last edited by mlm0; 05-13-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:30 PM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Thanks mlm0 very informative. I really appreciate all the info guys. Actually this time I won’t be doing the tune myself an expert will come with his laptop and softwares and I have to arrange for the hardwares and parts... I’ll be learning from him to do it myself in the future ...
so the shopping list is
-Ostrich 2.0
-6” ribbon (just Incase)
- G1 adapter card? (Is it required)
am I missing anything?

TIA
Old 05-13-2019, 11:59 PM
mlm0
Drifting

I said G2, but you are correct, G1. Maybe buy some chips to burn your program to. If you buy chips then you need burner. I bought burn2. It works great, but there are other options on Moates web site

is your programmer going to use your ostrich to tune your car? Is so, I would burn his final tune to a chip as well as save on a file in whatever program you use. Better to be safe, especially if you are paying for the tune. Be sure to read support files on Moates site to make sure you get what you need and that it is Correct
Old 05-14-2019, 11:56 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Originally Posted by mlm0
I said G2, but you are correct, G1. Maybe buy some chips to burn your program to. If you buy chips then you need burner. I bought burn2. It works great, but there are other options on Moates web site

is your programmer going to use your ostrich to tune your car? Is so, I would burn his final tune to a chip as well as save on a file in whatever program you use. Better to be safe, especially if you are paying for the tune. Be sure to read support files on Moates site to make sure you get what you need and that it is Correct
Yes he requested I buy the hardware (the Ostrich 2.0) and he will do the tuning/programming...

It will be a learning session for me as I never did a tune/program before. That’s why I’m asking for the required parts (beside the Ostrich 2.0) I need to do it myself later in the future.

Updated shopping list:
-Ostrich 2.0
-6” ribbon
-Burn2
-GP1 kit (comes with GM adapter and 2 chips)

Old 05-14-2019, 12:38 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Looks like you are ready to go. You just need to decide on your tuning software To buy or download

good luck and let us know how it went

Mike
Old 05-14-2019, 02:15 PM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Originally Posted by mlm0
Looks like you are ready to go. You just need to decide on your tuning software To buy or download

good luck and let us know how it went

Mike
Sure thanks Mike, I guess I’ll go with tunerpro rt, but we’ll see ...

Old 06-03-2019, 03:59 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Updates:
Just received the parts as shown in pics... (hope I didn’t miss anything)

And Quality looks awesome 👍🏻
So the guy will come probably next week for the programming and will be replacing some old wiring also while there... things I’m looking to program/tune
- Fans
- Egr delete
-Vats delete
- idle
Any other suggestions while there; since I’ll be installing headers and cat back system in the near future and maybe a First intake?

As mentioned before I’ll be learning from this guy about programming/tuning so as to be able to do that myself in the future (your advise and help will be needed then ).. can it be done using iPad Pro? Or only works with laptops and windows?

Old 06-03-2019, 06:56 AM
mlm0
Drifting

Looks like you have everything. I think it only works with windows but not positive
Old 06-06-2019, 05:45 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEROVETTE7
can it be done using iPad Pro? Or only works with laptops and windows?
I'm unaware of any non-Windows options for programming that generation. I have the first generation Ostrich in my '87 and love it. Don't forget to save the file to disk somewhere safe if you plan to simply run the ostrich in the car all the time. Crack the Ostrich open every now and then to check the battery condition. I don't know what the current gen uses, but the 1st gen is a AAA battery. Mine got a bit crusty after a few years of the same battery being in it so I removed the battery, cleaned the terminals, and reprogrammed it.
The following users liked this post:
eutu1984 (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 06:42 PM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

I have never done it but I am pretty sure you can run the ostrich with ALDLDroid under android.

Get notified of new replies

To Ostrich 2.0

Quick Reply: Ostrich 2.0