C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 Stock Exhaust Limits

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 03:04 PM
hockeyhead019
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 92 Stock Exhaust Limits

Hey guys,

Curious if anybody has experience with the stock exhaust and headers and where it starts to choke off engine modifications. To give an idea I would like to throw in an LT4 hot cam and some new heads on the engine (still deciding which ones) but just want to make sure that fuel delivery and exhaust won't hide any HP from the mods. Fuel delivery sounds like it'll be fine from some preliminary research but I couldn't find anything on the exhaust and whether or not it was necessary to open it up more. Key word is necessary.

Cheers
Old 05-14-2019, 03:54 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If it did its not worth the money just do headers. An Ultraflow and tossing the cats/resonators may help some but again is it worth your time?
Last LT4 I screwed around with had ported heads, hotcam dougs shorie headers stock exh..ported intake stock TB. Deep in the 12s in Ca air, passed smog. It would have slaughtered my ZR1 which couldnt get out of the 13s.
With 2 guys it would light the tires up...good enough? An AFR head would have been even better. 392rhwp...tune was a hair lean and dyno has a rep for being generous...time slip doesnt lie though
The following users liked this post:
hockeyhead019 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 04:05 PM
hockeyhead019
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

@cuisinartvette this is exactly the type of response I was looking for thanks! How about the stock headers? I know you mentioned that you were messing around with a car with shortie headers on there. Any reason to absolutely do this mod? I'm not trying to cut corners but also don't want to bother with anything that isn't an immediate road block.

Good to hear that the car with those mods was way quick! I'm knee deep in head research looking for the best bang for the buck. I don't have a target HP or timeslip so I know that question is impossible to answer currently

Last edited by hockeyhead019; 05-14-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:04 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by hockeyhead019
Hey guys,

Curious if anybody has experience with the stock exhaust and headers and where it starts to choke off engine modifications. To give an idea I would like to throw in an LT4 hot cam and some new heads on the engine (still deciding which ones) but just want to make sure that fuel delivery and exhaust won't hide any HP from the mods. Fuel delivery sounds like it'll be fine from some preliminary research but I couldn't find anything on the exhaust and whether or not it was necessary to open it up more. Key word is necessary.

Cheers
I never like to have to guess about things, so I try to measure stuff when it's feasible. Years ago I bought a Magnehelic differential pressure gauge (0-40" H2O or about 1.5psi) that I use to measure exhaust system backpressure or intake system pressure drops. IIRC the gauge was about 50-60 bucks at the time. Well worth the money to get me the info I need.

Get notified of new replies

To 92 Stock Exhaust Limits

Quick Reply: 92 Stock Exhaust Limits