Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Using c4 chassis for electric buggy

Old 05-20-2019, 08:42 PM
jeff katzman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Using c4 chassis for electric buggy

Coilover shocks have been done a lot on this forum, so one of you may have an answer. The problem is weight...I donít have any. The whole car is so light as an electric buggy and no fiberglass that the original 1984 front leaf spring feels like a go kart(no suspension). 84s were stout but Iím missing 800lbs up front. If I delete the spring, are there coilovers that will be light enough to make it driveable? Or just an adjustable shock that is strong enough without a coil?
Old 05-21-2019, 06:50 AM
JCrock
CF Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

One advantage of coilovers is that you can use a spring of whatever spring rate you want. So yes, that could solve your problem.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:40 AM
RocketSled
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jeff katzman View Post
Coilover shocks have been done a lot on this forum, so one of you may have an answer. The problem is weight...I donít have any. The whole car is so light as an electric buggy and no fiberglass that the original 1984 front leaf spring feels like a go kart(no suspension). 84s were stout but Iím missing 800lbs up front. If I delete the spring, are there coilovers that will be light enough to make it driveable? Or just an adjustable shock that is strong enough without a coil?
A Shock is just a dampener...making sure your nomenclature is correct. A coilover Shock includes a spring and would do what you want so long as you can set the spring pre-load low enough...Four of them go on a vehicle they expect to weigh 3400 lbs or so....or 850 lbs per corner. If your buggy weighs 1200, can you adjust the coilover to handle 300 lbs a corner? Dunno...that's a call to the spring manufacturer. What I would NOT do is just blindly by 'coilover shocks for a C4 Corvette' as there's a better than average chance you'll have a bad time.

Further, you currently have fiberglass springs that are expecting 3000+ lbs, and a chassis that doesn't have a Roof or doors...that's gonna mess up all kinds of handling. Will it kill ya? Probably not. Mess up your back? Hard to say. Make you competitive in Solo 2? Absolutely not!
Old 05-21-2019, 09:02 AM
bosshog8
CF Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

There are load bearing shocks like these that might work.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:28 PM
JoeNova
CF Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Use OEM motorcycle coilovers. Grab some used ones on Ebay, you should be able to get a full set under $200.

They work great.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:01 PM
jeff katzman

Default Load bearing shocks/motorcycle coilovers

These are good suggestions,Iíll see if I can find a ride height that will work with those.
The issue is two fold: 1)most coilovers are meant for double or triple the spring rate I need. 2) the shock cradle in 1984 was crazy small.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:10 AM
qwiketz
CF Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I used qa1 and there were tons of spring options. I started off too soft but I don't remember the rate off hand. It's been 12 or 13 years.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:22 AM
383vett
CF Senior Member

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

These are good suggestions,Iíll see if I can find a ride height that will work with those.
The issue is two fold: 1)most coilovers are meant for double or triple the spring rate I need. 2) the shock cradle in 1984 was crazy small.
Coilovers are available with an almost infinite number of spring rates. I have coilovers on my C4 (rear). I have changed springs 3 times to get the spring that works well which happens to be a 170 lb spring. A rough rule is to figure out how much the spring is compressed when in use. For instance, a 14" spring rated at 170 if compressed 4" will support a weight of 680lbs. The spring height is easily adjustable with a coilover. In my case, a spring with a lower rating ended up working the best. I tried a 190 and a 210 spring and the rear of the car was too stiff and the tires wouldn't plant on launch. You are right, the front shock cradle in an 84 is small. A few member here have worked around that problem. Do a search.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:40 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own either a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 206 Likes on 170 Posts

Cut it and reweld it. I suspect the resale value impact due to that mod will be small.

(Just FYI: I'm not being a smartass. I just redid the coilover mounts on my '69 w/C4 suspension.)
Old 05-24-2019, 03:54 PM
cardo0
CF Senior Member

Received 220 Likes on 210 Posts

Electric conversion sounds pretty cool. How bout a battery pack from a Prius to cover the engine? Electric motors don't need much maintenance.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:37 AM
jeff katzman

The battery is 20x Nissan Leaf modules in a series. 168V max. Prius cells would have worked as well.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:59 PM
rblakeney
CF Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm finding the whole "vette cart" thing wildly entertaining and this is a point even more off the curve. What a friggin hoot.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:38 PM
JoeNova
CF Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It doesn't seem like fabrication is much of an issue for you.

I'd still go motorcycle shocks. Cut off the upper shock cradle completely and make your own, or do remove mounted shocks (way easier than it sounds).
Old 06-11-2019, 10:49 PM
jeff katzman

Default Done...

Motorcycle coilovers. 270/345 progressive. Thank you to all that chimed in!
The following users liked this post:
RocketSled (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 08:47 AM
jayjones
CF Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you documenting this project somewhere? I'd be interested in seeing your progress
Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM
cardo0
CF Senior Member

Received 220 Likes on 210 Posts

Yes I'm curious also. Why a corvette? I would expect a small pickup truck would be a better platform. What motor? How does it bolt up? Is it a car for transportation or just a buggy/cart for a local shuttle?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Using c4 chassis for electric buggy

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: