C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Early parking shoes extinct?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 04:13 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
Default Early parking shoes extinct?!?

Replacing the rear rotors and pads for my '87, stuck on the parking shoes. I haven't found any replacements on Rockauto (well, they just put some ancient Bosch in their inventory a couple of days ago) and friends. CorvetteStoreBlah has them, for more than I paid for rotors and pads.

These shoes going down the extinct road?

Maybe I'll just stay with the old ones.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:51 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

How often are they being worn? I left my old ones on.

Last edited by xrav22; 05-24-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:44 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Check out carid.com, they show AC Delco shoes.
The following users liked this post:
Benny42 (05-25-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 09:27 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts
Default Possible brake shoe source

Give these guys a try
https://corvetteparts.com/item/shoe-...rake-1984-1987
Old 05-25-2019, 08:36 AM
Mixednuttz
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 193 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C4 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Are the linings worn past being serviceable? If that's the case, you could find a shop that re-lines brakes.I've had Brake and Equipment Warehouse in Minneapolis, MN re-line elevator brake shoes for me in the past.(I'm an elevator mechanic.) They do good work with a reasonable turnaround time. Come to think of it, they may have the shoes available as they have a storefront as well as the rebuild shop.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:58 AM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

Rockauto has the Bosch parking brake shoes for $29
Zip has them for $50 for the set of four pieces
Corvette Central has them for $70

I rebuilt my C3 with Stainless hardware and new pads 28 year ago and they are still working great. My C4 just happens to be a 1988 which uses the conventional parking brake assembly and not the internal parking brake. It sure makes it easier for me as they are a cinch to keep working.

If I had a defective parking brake I would seriously think about using the newer style Electric parking brake. My wife's VW Tiguan has a switch for the parking brakes and it works great....

Now if I could retrofit a new style Electrical Power Steering system into my C3 it would be great to get rid of the Power steering pump and hoses from under the hood area.

Best wishes with getting your shoes for your Corvette. It is important to have a good parking brake even with a manual transmission!
Old 05-25-2019, 03:21 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Rockauto Bosch shoes, like I said, they suddenly showed up, 2 sets only, about a week after I started looking.
They smell ancient, someone found them still on their shelves.
Keep in mind some of Rockauto's power is having all kinds of shops out there list their inventory with Rockauto, ship, etc. Unfortunately, as we all know, some shops suck. I once bought two wheel bearings and got two that were completely different though listed as the same part! Fast return right then!

$70 for a set is, like I said, more than I paid for rotors AND pads. I'd rather spend that on something else...like new control arm bushings.

I'm going to stick with the current, they look fine. The old adage replace-rotors-replace-pads was making me wonder. More concerned about what to do in ten years.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:31 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

Rockauto was developed to be like "Amazon" for cars. The RA Bosch parking brake shoes I saw on RA were non-asbestos material so they can't be too old. I would probably go with ZIP products as they are fast shippers with good parts. We have to keep our suppliers from closing their doors due to all the people buying on-line from RA.

I ordered a MAP sensor from RA and they sent me a package with the new AC Delco Box with a used, filthy faulty MAP sensor and when I complained they suggested that maybe I was trying to pull the wool over their eyes. I returned it to them and never heard another word about it and never got my money back either. They are on thin ice with me after that episode, I buy a lot of parts and I have given them thousands of Dollars worth of business and recommended a lot of people to buy from them.

Now I go to my faithful NAPA store where they know me and they know cars a bit better than RA. I pay more at NAPA but they stand behind their parts. My local NAPA gives me a discount rate and if I spend more I save more. I check the price at RA and if it is a huge difference I will try to get a better discount at NAPA or I will order the part online from one of lots of suppliers out there.

RA is not the solution for many people who are in a rush to get their car on the road again. It is handy when you plan your work ahead of time and gather the parts before the project starts, that is where you can save money.

It does take a LOT to wear out a set of Brake pads, you can probably get a lot more life out of them. Good Luck and enjoy this gorgeous weekend with your beautiful Corvette!
Best Regards,
Chris
Old 05-26-2019, 04:09 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Keep in mind some of Rockauto's power is having all kinds of shops out there list their inventory with Rockauto, ship, etc. Unfortunately, as we all know, some shops suck. I once bought two wheel bearings and got two that were completely different though listed as the same part! Fast return right then!
You can't trust some of those vendors. My boy was shipped NAPA parts in MOOG boxes. Rockauto blamed him for ordering the wrong parts.

The shipping address was a fly by night, buy here pay here joint in a not so good part of Cleveland Ohio.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:31 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
Rockauto was developed to be like "Amazon" for cars. The RA Bosch parking brake shoes I saw on RA were non-asbestos material so they can't be too old. I would probably go with ZIP products as they are fast shippers with good parts. We have to keep our suppliers from closing their doors due to all the people buying on-line from RA.
Zip and company need to stop trying to sell us everything at MRSP. If they don't, it really doesn't matter who I buy from except for shipping and return service. Really, they are all front ends to the actual part suppliers.

I've been lucky with Rockauto return service so far, can't complain and like to see choice instead of "we have this".

The bearings I purchased from GMB (yeah YOU GMB, those off my list!), same box, two different bearings. I went to Rockauto, they went to GMB, who said yes, those differences are fine and intended. Not to me, I got my money back from Rockauto.

Keep in mind, if any Internet vendor messes with you on your credit card purchase, you can deny payment through the CC. Those vendors have to be nice to their CC service provider or go belly up.

Get notified of new replies

To Early parking shoes extinct?!?

Quick Reply: Early parking shoes extinct?!?