C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Major water leak! See picture - have you seen this & can you help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 10:18 PM
rideklein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Major water leak! See picture - have you seen this & can you help?

This has been going on for too long now... I do have on order from Ecklers the book on Fixing Water Leaks in Corvettes (the title is something like that).

First I thought it was the roof front weatherstrip b/c it looked like heck and had tears and holes in it. So I tried GM's weatherstrip conditioner. No improvement. Then I tried patching the trouble areas with weatherstrip adhesive. No improvement. Finally I replaced the weatherstrip (from Corvette Rubber). Honestly, I think I did a good job, but it still leaks! I do want to stay away from the silicon-based lubes b/c I've heard through too many sources that you don't want silicon on your paint.

Anyway, have any of you had this same problem? I'm not just talking a little bit of water; I'm talking a lot! Help!

Old 11-06-2002, 10:22 PM
black_89_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Major water leak! See picture - have you seen this & can you help? (Seattle 6spd)

I have the same issue. It arose when I replaced the windshield and it has leaked ever since. The rubber around the windshield is completely new and it leaks exactly where your arrows are. Im interested in a solution here too.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:28 PM
rideklein
Instructor

Default Re: Major water leak! See picture - have you seen this & can you help? (black_89_vette)

I bought this car in January '02, so it's leaked this way ever since I've had it. Luckily, there's no mildew smell yet! WOOD:smash:

Really, my first thought (back in Jan/Feb) was that the water was getting in at the window/window channel interface. But that wouldn't explain the water on the seats. Would it?
Old 11-06-2002, 11:42 PM
Storz
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Major water leak! See picture - have you seen this & can you help? (Seattle 6spd)

My '87 does the exact same thing :confused:
Old 11-06-2002, 11:56 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

mine leaks there during HEAVY rain.

but only a dribble... nothing heavy.

It eases when I spray the seals down with silicone lube.

you may want to adjust your door window. do you get a wind whistle? if so, that could be the culpret.

***EDIT***

A thought about the window adjustment. Mine got worse after replacing the power window motor. That is because you can never quiet reaim the window 100% the same. I would almost bet your window motors were replaced...

[Modified by bogus, 10:58 PM 11/6/2002]
Old 11-07-2002, 12:29 AM
rideklein
Instructor

Default Re: Major water leak! See picture - have you seen this & can you help? (bogus)

Bogus,

To answer your ?'s...

1) No wind whistle. Of course, I haven't had the car above 100mph yet.
2) Not likely the window motors were replaced; the car has 36,000 miles on it.

You have hit on one hot area. I think the passenger side door window does need to be adjusted for more rake. It doesn't seem to press hard against my new weatherstrip. The driver-side door window does though -- and it leakes more. :confused:
Old 11-07-2002, 01:14 AM
2012 coupe
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is what I found on my 1992 Coupe.
1. The metal strip that holds the weatherstriping on needs to be sealed on the back of it.
2. Easy fix. Take the top off. Loosen and put back the weatherstripping all the way back to the Targa top bolt plate. Remove the screws that hold the metal plate on and remove the plate. From the factory they have a glue backing that dries out over time. Put some silicon sealer down the length of the metal piece and put some on the section of the windshield just above where the metal strip screws to the window frame. You will see a small hole there where the trip fits onto the window frame. Re-attach the metal weatherstrip strip and replace the 4 screws. Put the weatherstrip back on. Do not for get the two plastic pins that go into the frame.
3. That fixed my water problem both times I had the windshield replaces.
I never took pic's when I last did it. I should of.
I hope this helps.
:flag

[Modified by Danah92LT-1, 11:17 PM 11/6/2002]
Old 11-07-2002, 01:35 AM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Major water leak! See picture - have you seen this & can you help? (Danah92LT-1)

my car does this too, but my window to door glass weatherstrip is good, i am starting to lean towards the windshied leaking too.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:40 AM
carson
Racer

Might the leak be coming from the front of the top to windshield frame? Water might be getting in and running down the pillar cover.

I used silicone grease where the top meets the frame and also in the corners tohelp seal it. Wiped off any that oozed out.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:05 AM
rideklein
Instructor

Default Re: Major water leak! See picture - have you seen this & can you help? (Danah92LT-1)

Danah92LT-1,

Thanks. I was wondering about this interface when I replaced the weatherstrip. Of course I didn't remove the track the w/s fits in (which you're talking about).

I'm thinking if I end up taking off this new weatherstripping again I might risk tearing it. :eek: If I end up going that far, why not just take the car to a glass shop and let them reset the window (just to be sure this interface isn't the culprit either)? Decisions, decisions...

Keep the input coming. Thanks for the input and support so far -- nice to know I'm not the only guy out there with this problem.

And further fuel for my fire: Dad had a '62 and '72. He swears ALL Corvettes leak and that's that. I want to beat this and prove him wrong! :blueangel:
Old 11-07-2002, 02:07 AM
rideklein
Instructor

Default Re: Major water leak! See picture - have you seen this & can you help? (carson)

Carson,

This is a long shot, but I see your Vette is a '90 6spd and you have ~100 posts to the forum. Did you buy your car this year? I saw the same model for sell in B.C. in January. I know there aren't too many 6spd's available in this region...

Just curious. :cheers:
Old 11-07-2002, 02:47 AM
RTTN 1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same problem on my '93. the car leaked in nearly every spot you pointed out. i bought my kit at ZIP and haven't had a leak since it was installed. one major issue we( me and the installer) noticed is that the amount of weatherstrip that is visible on the seam of the windshield and roof. on the right side you can see up to 1/2" of rubber. but over the driver you will see less than 1/4". the rear pillar and roof seam is a perfect 1/4". upon further investigation, and nearly tearing apart every panel on the car, Kevin ( the installer ) found evidence that the windsheild had been replaced at some point. the goof ball that did the install did not pay enough attention to allignment. i opted not to do the windsheild adjustment at this time primarily do to $. this may be something you might want to consider.

feel free to call Kev at the shop. ( listed below ). i'm sure he can help steer you in the right direction.

[Modified by RTTN 1, 12:50 AM 11/7/2002]
Old 11-07-2002, 08:53 AM
Steel Blue 91
Le Mans Master

Same leaks on my 91. I have found that it leaks down the sides of the dash (both sides) out of the ends of the A pillar moldings. I have resealed the windshield and adjusted the top, however the leak remains. Next move is to remove and reinstall the targa weatherstrip (both sides).

[Modified by Steel Blue 91, 7:54 AM 11/7/2002]
Old 11-07-2002, 11:29 AM
jsaunde2
Racer

Default Re: Major water leak! See picture - have you seen this & can you help? (Steel Blue 91)

I don't really think that this is your problem but maybe it will help. My car had a mystery leak when it was new that turned out to be the seal at the corner of the firewall, the area that looks like it had a sealer put on with a paintbrush. This is just inboard of the hood latch plate.

Also, have you tried holding a hose on supected problem areas to try and pinpoint the leak.

Good luck.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:40 AM
rideklein
Instructor

Default Re: Major water leak! See picture - have you seen this & can you help? (jsaunde2)

I did a hose check... I sat in the car with my hand stuffed up in the trouble area, and a buddy slowly moved the stream of water up the side of the windshield. I did this on both sides. Didn't seem to be any trouble until he positioned the stream on the corner where the roof meets the window meets the door glass. I think this area leaves a lot to be desired... So I concentrated on that seal and replaced it.

It could be that I did a 1/2-butt job on the hose test and should've tested more areas. :sleep:

Edit: That's funny -- I didn't type in "butt." :lol:

[Modified by Seattle 6spd, 7:41 AM 11/7/2002]
Old 11-07-2002, 01:09 PM
VetBoy89
Burning Brakes

Have you checked the area where your hood spring/latches are in front of the windshield. They sometimes fill with water and overflow into the cockpit. Somebody here has a fix of, I think, drilling holes in the channel or something. I think it was VettMech, you may want to IM him or do a search. I read a post about this recently. :cheers:

[EDIT]
I found the thread... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=426065

[Modified by VetBoy89, 9:12 AM 11/7/2002]
Old 11-07-2002, 01:44 PM
rideklein
Instructor

Default Re: Major water leak! See picture - have you seen this & can you help? (VetBoy89)

VetBoy89,

Well I just went outside and popped the hood -- there is water in the latch boxes. Maybe this is part of the problem. But that wouldn't expain the water on the seats. :confused: Nevertheless, thanks for pointing this out. I'd heard of this trouble area, but had never looked at it.

Anyone try these rain gutters? http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?d...N0SM2EP3SW2CRF Not the slickest looking accessory, but if they work...

Get notified of new replies

To Major water leak! See picture - have you seen this & can you help?

Old 11-07-2002, 06:10 PM
2012 coupe
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

The metal strip has really nothing to do with the windshield. The windshield is glued in place. This strip was added by Chevey to hold the weatherstrip in place down the piller.
No glue is used to hold the weatherstrip in place around the windshield at all.
It just fits into the groves in the metal piece. There are 4 little plastic pins that hold the weatherstripping in place. Two, one in each coner of the windshield and two more at the bottom of the weatherstripping near the bottom of the piller.
I hope this helps a bit.
Make sure you use Chevey OEM weatherstripping. Most of the after market weatherstripping is way to hard and does not seal right.
My vette does not leak at all now, even when I am washing it with a garden hose.
Not all Corvettes "leak".
:flag
Old 11-07-2002, 07:52 PM
carson
Racer

Purchased the vette one year ago at Wilsonville Chevrolet located a little south of Portland, OR.

It did take awhile to find a 6-speed i liked, it was worth the effort though.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:26 PM
kawboy5792
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Major water leak! See picture - have you seen this & can you help? (carson)

my car does the exact same thing you indicated in that picture, except that my outer door sill is the one that gets really wet. my seals look fine and yet in heavy rain, it drips on in...

Quick Reply: Major water leak! See picture - have you seen this & can you help?