C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1987 Stalling while idling, SES Code 34

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 07:20 PM
AC00719
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Stalling while idling, SES Code 34

Just wanted to start off by saying that I am definitely a beginner when it comes to cars, though i purchased this vehicle a year ago with the intention to learn. At this point I am feeling that this issue may be slightly out of my league, but I am hoping to at least get the car running so I can avoid having to pay for a tow to my mechanic. I will try to list any relevant information, and hopefully someone may have an idea as to what I may be dealing with. Currently the vehicle will start, but is misfiring and dies within a few seconds while idling. I have tried giving a little gas as well but that does not help at all. Here's a timeline of recent events, hopefully this provides some insight.

1- A few weeks back while the car was warming up in the driveway I came outside to find it overheated. I found the issue to be a bad cooling fan relay. This was replaced, the old coolant was flushed and replaced and car was running fine. No issues or symptoms of a blown head gasket over the following weeks, although the vehicle is only driven occasionally throughout the week.

2-First thing i noticed that seemed off a few weeks later was the digital display reading for oil temp . With the car running for approximately 10 minutes i would still have my oil temp reading LO even with coolant temp reading 200F. Eventually the temperature would creep up and get to proper operating range, but the amount of time it took just seemed off, especially when the coolant was at temperature.

3- Shortly after I noticed the car having a rough idle or misfire for the first time. SES threw a code 34 for the MAF. After some research my first steps were replacing the 2 MAF relays, and checking/cleaning the MAF with proper MAF cleaner spray and allowing it to dry thoroughly before reinstall. I also cleared the code 34 to see if it would register again. Took the car out for a short ride but could still notice the misfiring ,but no codes or SES light. At this point the car is capable of being driven, but there is a noticeable issue. Next step was disconnecting the MAF sensor as I believe that should throw a code 33 if the ECM is operating properly. Started the car and noticed a significantly rougher idle, and borderline stalling. Engine RPMs reading about 800 at first start, then leveling off around 500 RPMs. The SES did come up, but the error code was not being stored when i put the car into diagnostics mode. I decided to call it quits for the time being to do more research, and reconnected the MAF sensor. I tried starting the vehicle again but now it is running worse than ever. I cannot get it started long enough to get it out of my driveway, nonetheless to my mechanic.

4- I've tried disconnecting the MAF again, disconnecting the battery to clear any codes or "Limp Mode", but nothing seems to get the car running properly. Basically since I initially pulled the plug on the MAF to test a code 33 the car is now undriveable and in need of tow as it stands.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am capable although outside of a multi meter I dont have all the diagnostic tools or means of lifting the car, ultimately if i can get this thing to mechanic that would be a win for me. Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: 1987 Stalling while idling, SES Code 34