C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

‘94 LT1 overheat issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 11:43 PM
Michael.parker1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ‘94 LT1 overheat issue

I’ve got a 94 lt1 and it overheats while sitting at stoplights or just idling, I’ve got a 160 thermostat in it and a brand new water pump and the coolant has been fully flushed. At stoplights it’s gotten as high as 236 on me, without running into any sort of traffic it will sit around 180 while cruising but as soon as I hit a light or just let it idle it will go up. I can hear both fans kick on right around 226-230ish and they help when it’s just idling to bring it back down to 220ish but at stoplights while I’m driving it doesn’t seem to help as much. I’ve seen the kits online to kick the fan on around 185 instead so I’m considering getting one to see if it’ll help any. Has anyone experienced a similar issue or have a good idea for a fix?
Old 06-19-2019, 12:05 AM
RicardoG
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Has your PCM tune been modified?
In stock form the fans are set from the factory to turn on at 219F (primary) and 228 (secondary).
So, while idling at a stop light the temperature can go as high as 228-230 easily.
Easiest way to lower your coolant temp is by reprogramming the PCM if you already have a 160 deg thermostat.

Last edited by RicardoG; 06-19-2019 at 01:28 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:07 AM
Michael.parker1
Advanced

Originally Posted by RicardoG
Has your PCM tune been modified?
In stock form the fans are set from the factory to turn on at 219F (low speed) and 228 (high speed).
So, while idling at a stop light the temperature can go as high as 228-230 easily.
Easiest way to lower your coolant temp is by reprogramming the PCM if you already have a 160 deg thermostat.
I have not had it modified, I heard even with tuning it lower there’s only a certain limit that they can be turned down to I can’t remember the exact temp I had read though
Old 06-19-2019, 01:41 AM
RicardoG
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You can set them to turn on as low as you want.
I have mine set up to turn the primary fan on at 200 deg and the secondary at 209 with a 160 deg thermostat .
Hysteresis set at 8 degrees.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:28 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael.parker1
I’ve got a 94 lt1 and it overheats while sitting at stoplights or just idling, I’ve got a 160 thermostat in it and a brand new water pump and the coolant has been fully flushed. At stoplights it’s gotten as high as 236 on me, without running into any sort of traffic it will sit around 180 while cruising but as soon as I hit a light or just let it idle it will go up. I can hear both fans kick on right around 226-230ish and they help when it’s just idling to bring it back down to 220ish but at stoplights while I’m driving it doesn’t seem to help as much. I’ve seen the kits online to kick the fan on around 185 instead so I’m considering getting one to see if it’ll help any. Has anyone experienced a similar issue or have a good idea for a fix?
Read this: Corvettes, Summer, and High Coolant Temperatures
Your car sounds normal to me. The thermostat only determines the temperature when coolant begins to flow -- when it's open, it's open, and it has no ability to increase the circulation of coolant. The cooling capacity of the cooling system is determined by the size and efficiency (rows) of the radiator, the water pump speed, and (most important) the airflow across the radiator. So when you are at low speeds or stopped (little airflow), the temps will naturally climb. The LT1 is programmed to kick on the cooling fans at 228F (low speed) and 235F (high speed). These temperatures are higher than "normal" but it's just how the car is designed -- the higher temps help efficiency and lower emissions.
You can tweak the computer to trigger fans at lower temps, many people have done this with success. I don't care for the high temps either so I just turn on the AC whenever the temp hits 222F, this forces the cooling fans on and brings down the temps quickly (for me too, LOL). Once in a while I will let it get up to trigger temp 228F just to be sure everything is working properly.
I say don't worry about it too much. But if you see 240F, then you can start worrying.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:45 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I agree with DGXR your LT1 sounds like it is performing as it should
The following users liked this post:
GM5778 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 09:39 PM
MarkyMark.
Cruising

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this problem on my 94 coupe.....It's a simple fix. The OEM single core radiator did not provide sufficient heat exchange. Not to mentioned is is old and most likely having some restrictions. I bought a new one straight from DeWitt.....a double core upgraded radiator. Cost of radiator in 2012 was $535.00. Drops right in with a slight modification to the radiator shroud. Problem gone. Good luck.

Last edited by MarkyMark.; 06-20-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:56 PM
Michael.parker1
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1994MLC
I had this problem on my 94 coupe.....It's a simple fix. The OEM single core radiator did not provide sufficient heat exchange. Not to mentioned is is old and most likely having some restrictions. I bought a new one straight from DeWitt.....a double core upgraded radiator. Cost of radiator in 2012 was $535.00. Drops right in with a slight modification to the radiator shroud. Problem gone. Good luck.
this was the option i was hoping not to hear... i was thinking in the back of my mind that it could be partially because of radiator but it seems the only ones worth buying that will fix the issue are 4-600$ which is just more money i was hoping to use on upgrading other parts of the car, im probably going to try and tune it to kick on fans earlier and if that doesn't help much ill probably get a new rad. thanks
Old 06-20-2019, 10:01 PM
MarkyMark.
Cruising

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Running at elevated operating temperatures is not good for the engine....$400-$600 for a radiator. What does it cost to replace an engine?

Get notified of new replies

To ‘94 LT1 overheat issue

Quick Reply: ‘94 LT1 overheat issue