C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Project C4 Exhaust upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 01:31 PM
project C4
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Project C4 Exhaust upgrade...

Finally got around to fixing something on my car that's been bugging me for a long time. I installed Hooker headers 10 years ago and when I did I just connected to the old exhaust pipes. The old pipes where crap as you can see.

The following 3 users liked this post by project C4:
Benny42 (07-04-2019), cardo0 (07-04-2019), ctmccloskey (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 03:26 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

Imo, put an x-pipe or an H-pipe in there for some efficiency and drone control.

Here is mine, i had serious drone.
The dual x-pipes are rare but it really helped me out, and the car screams like a v12 Ferrari

The following 2 users liked this post by Gibbles:
dizwiz24 (07-04-2019), MsEllie (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 03:53 PM
project C4
Pro

Thank you but I have never been a fan of the sound of the X-pipe or H crossover. That is why I did not put one in. The company that makes the pipes I used makes a great X-pipe to go with them for people that want them.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:15 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

I tried no x-pipe on my car, the drone was painful.
I also lacked some power at high revs.

With the xpipes in place, the engine is super hungry and has a 2stroke dirtbike like powerband.
It just want's fuel at those higher revs...

If you're happy with it, run it!

Last edited by Gibbles; 07-04-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:15 PM
project C4
Pro

Originally Posted by Gibbles
I tried no x-pipe on my car, the drone was painful.
I also lacked some power at high revs.

With the xpipes in place, the engine is super hungry and has a 2stroke dirtbike like powerband.
It just want's fuel at those higher revs...

If you're happy with it, run it!

No Biggie.... I have been all over the map on different types of exhaust systems on my cars and customers cars. The no crossover Flowmaster exhaust is definitely the sound I prefer. I have never been able to tell a difference in power although I have never had a car on a dyno. My only dyno was the drag strip. Also, my car does not have overdrive so my revs are up pretty good going down the road. That may be why I have never had the dreaded drone problem.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:11 AM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Looks awesome, I also did the Hooker ceramic coated headers. I had also got a complete cat back Borla system to install when I did Headers which was piping, mufflers and resonator, all stainless. so what I did was cut the drivers side off because it was for short cat side, then I took that same piece and used it on the passenger side as extender. my only problem was that dam inward bend of DS collector. (cussed Hooker) so right now it's a bit hoakie. so what I need is those extension pies you got there. where did you get them? and where they available in stainless? mine is a bit too quiet for my taste and it still drones some. so I may as well pull of the resonator anyway and just extend the pipes straight. thanks for post. it helped me a lot. love to hear it. what mufflers?
Old 07-05-2019, 10:45 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

Gotta love how pretty the coated headers are when new.

On mine, I did flow master 40's with a 3in inlets and dual 2.5in outlets.

Low rpm it still has the muscle car rumble, sounds like an old ww2 airplane when crusing @2k rpm on the freeway.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:00 AM
project C4
Pro

Originally Posted by BLKMAMBA
Looks awesome, I also did the Hooker ceramic coated headers. I had also got a complete cat back Borla system to install when I did Headers which was piping, mufflers and resonator, all stainless. so what I did was cut the drivers side off because it was for short cat side, then I took that same piece and used it on the passenger side as extender. my only problem was that dam inward bend of DS collector. (cussed Hooker) so right now it's a bit hoakie. so what I need is those extension pies you got there. where did you get them? and where they available in stainless? mine is a bit too quiet for my taste and it still drones some. so I may as well pull of the resonator anyway and just extend the pipes straight. thanks for post. it helped me a lot. love to hear it. what mufflers?
LOL... I feel you pain for sure ! You can see the funky stuff I had to do on that side to get the old system connected. I got the header connectors from Melrose. Their standard pipes for their own headers. They are almost a perfect fit. I trimmed 4.5" off of one side and adjusted for the slight differences in angles at the flanges with Kooks weld on flanges.
I do not think they offer stainless pipes but I am not real sure.
The mufflers are 50 series Flowmasters and sound awesome.
If I can help any more let me know. always glad to help.

Last edited by project C4; 07-06-2019 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:32 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,452 Posts

Gibbles......i understand the scavanging and “streamlining or slipstreaming “ of the exhaust pulses when you X each bank using a crossover as close to the collector as possible...b

but this is the first time ive seen the second crossover used. what purpose does it serve? what happens to drone in like 4th gear at 1700rpm on highway with double xover? does it dissapate drone by somehow colliding or mixing the two exhaust streams again?

Imo, put an x-pipe or an H-pipe in there for some efficiency and drone control.

Here is mine, i had serious drone.
The dual x-pipes are rare but it really helped me out, and the car screams like a v12 Ferrari

Old 07-06-2019, 01:39 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
Gibbles......i understand the scavanging and “streamlining or slipstreaming “ of the exhaust pulses when you X each bank using a crossover as close to the collector as possible...b

but this is the first time ive seen the second crossover used. what purpose does it serve? what happens to drone in like 4th gear at 1700rpm on highway with double xover? does it dissapate drone by somehow colliding or mixing the two exhaust streams again?
It was actually a suggestion i was given by someone that did it before.

Without it it, pressure would build in the car to the point i needed to roll down the window to keep my head from exploding...

It also took out the remaining raspy exhaust note thst the exhaust had.

Drone was much improved to the point that i love the drone that's left over.
And i love how the car screams at high rpm.
X pipes are not cheap, that second one i ordered from melrose to mate up with the orignal they sent with the system.
I think it was something like $120 shipped, but it's been a few years now.

And yes, that's pretty much how it works.
I was told there is no extra exhaust scavenging, but it does smooth out the exhaust pulses even further.

Last edited by Gibbles; 07-06-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:55 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,375 Likes on 1,063 Posts

It was actually a suggestion i was given by someone that did it before.

Without it it, pressure would build in the car to the point i needed to roll down the window to keep my head from exploding...

It also took out the remaining raspy exhaust note thst the exhaust had.

Drone was much improved to the point that i love the drone that's left over.
And i love how the car screams at high rpm.
X pipes are not cheap, that second one i ordered from melrose to mate up with the orignal they sent with the system.
I think it was something like $120 shipped, but it's been a few years now.

And yes, that's pretty much how it works.
I was told there is no extra exhaust scavenging, but it does smooth out the exhaust pulses even further.
I would guess that it acts as a resonator too. Being the X's are pretty close together.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:37 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
Gibbles......i understand the scavanging and “streamlining or slipstreaming “ of the exhaust pulses when you X each bank using a crossover as close to the collector as possible...

Here is a picture of a Corsa double helix I used on my C7Z06. It was actually a tenth of a second slower than the Borla single x-pipe I am currently going with.

Originally Posted by Luis Orozco
$250 obo
Old 07-06-2019, 03:51 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Yeah, i heard that about the double xpipe.
Slight loss in performance.

Get notified of new replies

To Project C4 Exhaust upgrade...

Quick Reply: Project C4 Exhaust upgrade...