C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

700r4: No 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 12:37 PM
chkansas
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 700r4: No 2nd gear

Hi everyone!
So my car started to miss 2nd gear. Every other gear works, and 2nd sometimes works. Doesn't matter if I have the shifter in Drive or 2nd, it feels that its in neutral when it should shift, but if I reev it a little it engages.
It feels like if I have the throttle between 40% and 60% it engages. If I down shift its the same, for example if I'm in 4th (OD) and shift to 3rd (D) it shifts fine, then move to 2nd it doesn't appear to do anything, if i start reeving its like its in neutral (free reeving) if I reev it more, it engages the 2nd. 2nd to 1st works fine.
I've been reading the service manual, but automatic transmissions are way too complicated.
I love fixing my cars, but automatic transmissions are a nightmare. It doesn't seem to be 2-4 band because 4th works just fine (unless the clutch its engaging, but again, I dont even know how to detect if its the clutch or not, its some kind of sorcery to me).

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2019, 04:15 PM
Scott442
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rebuild time. I don't know your location but Frank Cahall (CPT) is a supporting vendor on here and ships all over the US.

https://cahallperformancetrans.com/7...ds-%26-pricing
Old 07-22-2019, 08:07 PM
chkansas
Heel & Toe

Yeah well, I prefer to fix it without rebuilding. The fact that it sometimes shifts, and that it shifts into 4th gear perfectly gives me some hope of a not that bad problem.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:57 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by chris05123
Yeah well, I prefer to fix it without rebuilding. The fact that it sometimes shifts, and that it shifts into 4th gear perfectly gives me some hope of a not that bad problem.

You may have a 2nd gear piston seal leak(2nd and 4th use different pistons). This can be checked relatively easy by removing the servo. No need to remove the transmission for this.
The following users liked this post:
knikula (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 11:20 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

I would pull pan and check for debris. A 1/4 teaspoon of fine particles or less normal a repair maybe possible. A lot or "wheaties" in pan just pull it, because overhaul is required.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:39 PM
chkansas
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the help, so first I want to disable the tcc, to see if the 4th gear I feel is the band applying or just the clutch. I the 4th gear works, then the problem being only the 2nd gear shouldnt be that bad of a fix. The servo probably, or the acumulator.
So if the 4th gear works, I'll attach a pressure line to the second oil and check if it drops, i might even compare it to the 4th oil and the line pressure (but it seems easier when I write it than when I have to actually do it), or I can just check the servo.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:02 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the help, so first I want to disable the tcc, to see if the 4th gear I feel is the band applying or just the clutch. I the 4th gear works, then the problem being only the 2nd gear shouldnt be that bad of a fix. The servo probably, or the acumulator.
So if the 4th gear works, I'll attach a pressure line to the second oil and check if it drops, i might even compare it to the 4th oil and the line pressure (but it seems easier when I write it than when I have to actually do it), or I can just check the servo.

Please explain the process you will follow to do this. In your first post, you say autos are a mystery to you and some sort of "Sorcery" . Now you are talking testing and comparing pressures. Which one is it? Methinks you are reading internet articles and trying to display your newfound "knowledge" here.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:10 PM
chkansas
Heel & Toe

Yes well, but checking pressures is easy, comparing pressures also (math).
The service manual shows the pressures, so that would be easy.
Disabling the clutch also, either pressing the brake a little or disconnecting the wiring of the solenoid altogether.
Checking the servo I can do it in car also, pretty simple.
But after that, if something else is wrong then I wouldn't take it apart myself, get me?
"Knowledge" yes, maybe I dont know stuff, but I learn. Nice fella you are, I thought forum where to share knowledge, but nice.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:01 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Yes well, but checking pressures is easy, comparing pressures also (math).
The service manual shows the pressures, so that would be easy.
Disabling the clutch also, either pressing the brake a little or disconnecting the wiring of the solenoid altogether.
Checking the servo I can do it in car also, pretty simple.
But after that, if something else is wrong then I wouldn't take it apart myself, get me?
"Knowledge" yes, maybe I dont know stuff, but I learn. Nice fella you are, I thought forum where to share knowledge, but nice.

That's exactly what I tried to do in my first reply to you - try and help you out with your problem. But I guess you decided to ignore my attempt at helping you and decided instead to try and dazzle with BS. You still didn't elaborate on your procedure to test "4th oil and 2nd oil" .
Old 07-23-2019, 09:06 PM
chkansas
Heel & Toe

But I said Im gonna test the servo, like you told me, isnt it there where the 2nd gear piston seal is? By testing I mean taking it out and looking at it.
The pressure thing is just beacause the manual says i have to remove the exhaust to remove the servo, and if thats the case and the pressure lines are easier to access, I might just hook the gauge and see if it measures a pressure close to the 235 psi (if i recall correctly) the manual says, while driving of course and in manual second gear.

Last edited by chkansas; 07-23-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:16 PM
chkansas
Heel & Toe

I thought about messuring the pressure because if the seal leaks (and sometimes if i rev it enough it seems to engage 2nd) the pressure would drop in the 2nd oil right?
Makes sense to me. But if its easier to take the servo off then ill do that first, I dont have a lift and such, thats the problem.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:16 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

But I said Im gonna test the servo, like you told me, isnt it there where the 2nd gear piston seal is? By testing I mean taking it out and looking at it.
The pressure thing is just beacause the manual says i have to remove the exhaust to remove the servo, and if thats the case and the pressure lines are easier to access, I might just hook the gauge and see if it measures a pressure close to the 235 psi (if i recall correctly) the manual says, while driving of course and in manual second gear.

Guess you got 'er under control then.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:52 PM
chkansas
Heel & Toe

And I thought I would never meet a mean Canadian in my life.
Life is full of surprises, I love it.

Last edited by chkansas; 07-23-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:04 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

And I thought I would never meet a mean Canadian in my life.
Life is full of surprises, I love it.
Some of you snowflakes on this forum are lucky you weren't here a few years ago when CFI-EFI was around. He didn't put up with BS and your *** would be so sore from him chewin' on it, you wouldn't sit down for a week.
Fiberbundle (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 02:00 AM
chkansas
Heel & Toe

God help your kids if they ever try to question your opinion in anything.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:37 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

God help your kids if they ever try to question your opinion in anything.

Give it up already! It was fun for awhile but this is a tech forum. How old are you anyways? 12? If you want to, start a thread in off topic titled "My hurt feelings" and I will engage with you there. As far as this forum, I am done with your nonsense.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:55 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Arbee, why does it seem like every time you try to help a member, thing get messy?
The following 2 users liked this post by 383vett:
IHBD (07-24-2019), Mayor111 (07-30-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To 700r4: No 2nd gear

Old 07-24-2019, 08:06 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 383vett
Arbee, why does it seem like every time you try to help a member, thing get messy?

I guess I'm(and always have been and no intentions of changing) a straight forward, tell it like it is guy. My ways have taken me to the top of my field. Duking it out in construction production meetings with clients like major oil companies makes you take on a certain personna. In those meetings it is attack or be attacked. I never subscribed to the "turn the other cheek" mantra. If I detect BS then I will call it out. Those that can't except that, then they have a choice. Don't read my posts or respond. Can't get much simpler than that can it. If there is only one player, no game. Everyone uses internet forums in different ways. Some think of it as their "family" and can't bear to be away too long. Myself, I treat it as a learning tool and possibly pass on my knowledge. I am not here to be friends. Have lots of those in real life, not faceless words on a computer screen from people I will never meet or have any desire to do so unless it involves some sort of transaction. I have a right to my opinion like anyone else. To reiterate, those that don't like it have a choice.
Fiberbundle (07-24-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 12:50 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by arbee
I guess I'm(and always have been and no intentions of changing) a straight forward, tell it like it is guy. My ways have taken me to the top of my field. Duking it out in construction production meetings with clients like major oil companies makes you take on a certain personna. In those meetings it is attack or be attacked. I never subscribed to the "turn the other cheek" mantra. If I detect BS then I will call it out. Those that can't except that, then they have a choice. Don't read my posts or respond. Can't get much simpler than that can it. If there is only one player, no game. Everyone uses internet forums in different ways. Some think of it as their "family" and can't bear to be away too long. Myself, I treat it as a learning tool and possibly pass on my knowledge. I am not here to be friends. Have lots of those in real life, not faceless words on a computer screen from people I will never meet or have any desire to do so unless it involves some sort of transaction. I have a right to my opinion like anyone else. To reiterate, those that don't like it have a choice.
Darn, I was going to ask you if you wanted to be my bff.
vette196 (07-25-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 02:10 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,955 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Cause an ******* is an ******* - no way of getting around it. Seems like there are a few folks who share my opinion of you Randy...

Actually I was going to say he's a typical canadian...

Quick Reply: 700r4: No 2nd gear