C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone ever rebuild.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 04:34 PM
Bruthish
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

Default Anyone ever rebuild.......

Has anyone ever had any luck rebuilding your own 700r4 Tranny? Mine is finally out and I have found some rebuild kits and was wondering if it is something I could do myself. I am mechanically inclined.... :confused: :)
Old 11-10-2002, 04:43 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,404 Likes on 1,019 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Anyone ever rebuild....... (Bruthish)

Rebuilding an automatic is best fit for a pro, its not for a rookie. Your hands must be perfectly clean and you cant get dirt inside an automatic, plus if you havent messed with one before you can get confused easy.

Id let a pro do that one. Do anything else yourself, but not rebuilding an A4.
Old 11-10-2002, 06:42 PM
69shark
Melting Slicks

Location: Godspeed Mikey Hogsmak Invitational Spring Skyline Drive Corvette Cruise
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Anyone ever rebuild....... (vader86)

Rebuilding an automatic is best fit for a pro, its not for a rookie. Your hands must be perfectly clean and you cant get dirt inside an automatic, plus if you havent messed with one before you can get confused easy.

Id let a pro do that one. Do anything else yourself, but not rebuilding an A4.
I agree, I rebuilt a trubo 400 twice back in 82 because I kissed it up the first time :eek: :cry :reddevil :nopity
Old 11-10-2002, 09:40 PM
LaVidaLoca
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just had mine rebuilt by a shop other Vette owners recommended. Glad I did. Total cost with replacing the torque converter was under $1200. Got an upgraded pump and upgraded valve assembly.

I am fairly good mechanically, but I am not set up to remove a tranny properly. So, if I messed up a rebuild, it would really be a major effort to pull it again.

As it is now everything is working great and if it messes up I will let the shop take care of it under warranty. :yesnod:
Old 11-10-2002, 11:54 PM
corvette1990
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Anyone ever rebuild....... (LaVidaLoca)

I would agree with previous posts. First you need all sorts of special tools, Then you need to know how to assemble all those many many parts just right, with the proper spacings, etc. Even a good shop can mess up a 700R4. If your determined, I know that pat at http://www.levelten.com sells an instruction manual and a video tape. Your case for your tranny is very valuable, I had trouble locating a donor case when mine went south last year. thats my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:00 AM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 700R4 was the first trans I ever rebuilt. :) ( yes, it worked too...)

I then got a job as a trans mechanic and built many more. Even worked for Dodge as a trans mechanic as well.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:05 AM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Anyone ever rebuild....... (BBA)

BTW: The only special tools you really need are a seal resizer and a reverse piston removal tool ( I improvised both of those from common garage stuff ).

The seals can be resized with a hose clamp and shim stock, and the reverse piston can be removed with a threaded rod, a round steel plate with a hole in it and a couple of nuts.

Other than that, read an ATSG techtran manual ( actually, there are 2 for the 700R4, one is an update book ). Anyone mechanically skilled can do it...and if you run into problems, a real trans tech is always willing to help a person trying to learn...well, almost any...there are some jerks out there.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever rebuild.......

Quick Reply: Anyone ever rebuild.......