C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Corvette LS/ 6-speed swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 09:19 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

My wife and I had fun putting some break-in miles on the car today. Will be fixing all the 'teething' problems tomorrow evening hopefully.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 04-11-2021 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:52 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

So my friend came by tonight to do the 'warranty work', replacing the battery fixed the low voltage issue. The new Rad cap solved the minir coolant leak.

We replaced the WB AFR guage sensor and it functions correctly now.

We replaced the coolant temp sensor for the dash and it is still pegged/jumoing around. He tested and its the wiring. Was to big of a job to do tonight so i'll schedule another time to have him fix that.

The horn contact inside the steering coloum is broken, so he bring the specalty tools next time and take it all apart and repair it.

Finally we worked on the intermittent high idle and determined although we optimized the throttle blade position we still had the issue. We determined what's going on is when the car rolls to a stop (no engine braking/ no load) the IAC is not returning from the 30% open driving position to the 10-15% idle position. My friend said he'll do some research and let me know what he finds.

So 3 of 6 problems are fixed and 3 remain. Given it's such a fresh build, i'm very happy that its only having minor 'teething' problems.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 04-12-2021 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:10 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Ok guys, so I've made a decision in regards to the paint.

I've booked the car in to get repainted on May 3, It will be gone for a month as they are going to do a full disassembally, strip and repaint. I'm going to take the seats out and have the new seat covers, foam etc... installed at the same time so that at least a lot will get done while the car is off the road.

I decided to go with the brand new 2021 C8 Corvette 'Red Mist Metallic Tint-Coat'. It expensive to say the least but i've ways wanted a red corvette!

Here's a picture of the color.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:54 PM
Will Speed
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you seen that color in person? I would say that it is one of my favorite shades of red on any vehicle I have ever seen. You will be more than happy with the results.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:30 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Will Speed
Have you seen that color in person? I would say that it is one of my favorite shades of red on any vehicle I have ever seen. You will be more than happy with the results.
Kind of, I scouted out a Red Mist C8 at the local delaership that was behind a fence with a 'sold sign' on it. I couldn't get very close due to the fence but from 30 feet away it looked pretty fantastic as do all the pictures I've seen.

I'm trying to decide if I should also have them paint on some grey gransport 'hash marks' on the driver's side fender similar color to my argent gray Z06 wheels so it all ties in. also considering having the mirrors and 'roll hoop' painted black. What do you guys think are either of those ideas any good or should I leave it just solid red?

Last edited by DMITTZ; 04-13-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:37 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Also after talking with the body shop I ordwred all new body mouldings, since i'm sure the old ones will likely break when removed. Hope they arrive before may 3rd!
Old 04-14-2021, 11:41 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

I got the car out again today for lots of driving as we are having fantastic weather. Brought my son along again as he just loves cruising with me.

I'm almost done the break-in period and aside from the few teething problems mentioned before everything is operating well.

It was a little warm in the sun today so I tried out the A/C and it works great.

The cars going in to get an alignment on Friday afternoon and I've got all the fluids ready for doing the first engine oil/filter change and transmission oil change to complete the break in this weekend.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:15 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

For anyone considering LED tailights for the early C4's here's a few pictures of how they look in the evening.

Old 04-17-2021, 07:10 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Ok guys, the first post break-in maintance is now complete.

-Changed the engine oil/filter
-Changed the Trans oil
-Greased the suspension
-Cleaned the air filter(s)

Also took the wheels off and cleaned them.

So I think the car should be offically broken in now. Time to have some fun driving it!

The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (03-02-2023)
Old 04-17-2021, 11:51 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

So I tried a few full throttle runs. And the car is pretty insane. Much faster than I expected! Almost a little too fast...but i'm sure I will get used to it over time. I couldn't be happier with how the car has turned out.

The only problem I have is the stock tach lags really badly at WOT and the amount of lag is different in each gear (and if the tires are spinning a bit) due to how fast the RPM's rise so its difficult not to hit the 7200rpm limiter and the engine seems to just keep pulling hard right to the limiter. I might have to raise the limiter to 7500rpm.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 04-17-2021 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:52 PM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2016 C4 of the Year Finalist

Looks great! I love the current dark gray paint/Speedline wheel combination but the red mist is going to look awesome. It reminds me of that Mazda Soul Red
Old 04-20-2021, 12:42 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by junkyard_dog72
Looks great! I love the current dark gray paint/Speedline wheel combination but the red mist is going to look awesome. It reminds me of that Mazda Soul Red
Thanks! yes, I've always wanted a red car so i'm stoked.

Ok friends, my friend came by tonight and we did some driveability tuning and we have this thing driving just fantastic. It very mild mannered until you step on the gas. We also bumped the limiter up a little and now its about perfect and the extra revs make it easier to not bounce of the limiter.

So I've now put a lot on miles on the car and we have it running great so I think its finally time to bring this thread to a close.

Like with most project cars the work will continue, but the LS swap is now fully complete. I promise i'll post some new threads regarding the paint, interior and dyno tuning as those things are completed.

Thanks for reading my thread everyone!
Old 04-22-2021, 03:33 AM
FelixP
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

That must sound fantastic at those revs!
The following users liked this post:
DMITTZ (04-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 11:16 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FelixP
That must sound fantastic at those revs!
Yes, the LS engine at over 7K sounds just amazing!

Quick Reply: C4 Corvette LS/ 6-speed swap