C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Astro Tops Targa Bar (AFB Targa Bar) Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 09:14 AM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Astro Tops Targa Bar (AFB Targa Bar) Install

Current price for the bar is $575 plus shipping from Astro tops. Not much to say about what it does, it bolts into the top locations when your top is out and ties the mounting points together. Yes, first drive after, I could tell a difference. More so in less squeaks and rattles than normally with the top out. I don’t have any serious track time to prove anything with times, but if you know the additional flex you feel with the top out versus in, you will notice that feeling is gone with this bar.

Tools Used:

½” Thin Open End Wrench

The Cars own top’s T40-Torx wrench

T-30 Torx bit

Bit adapter

¼” Drive ratchet

Now for installation, obviously your car’s top must be out. Not a whole lot to speak on safety here as there are no power tools or lifting of the car. The brace as well is pretty light weight. Just be mindful of your surroundings, take your time, and make sure any tool you use is in good working order.

Un-box and inspect your new bar. You will notice it also came with hardware. Mine was even marked inside the box “adjust mounting brackets as needed”. So, remove the bolts for the rear so they are not protruding out, and set the bar near the mounting locations. Each location has a cup on the car and a cone on the top. You will see they don’t line up, well maybe yours will but mine didn’t

So I took it back off and loosened each of the two T30 bolts on the rear mounting locations and same for the 4 hex heads in the front. Put it back on the car aligning the rear first. I was able to just lightly wiggle the bar until the cones moved into their cups. I got the rear bolts started by 4 or 5turns, just enough to hold it in place but not enough to have it tight. Then I moved to the front and did the same. Just get the bolts started
Now all the cones are in their cups, mounting threads are started and it is looking pretty cool. Walk around the car and check it out, but look for how centered you are. I think my bar could move about ¼” side to side. Move it until you are happy with its position. Then I snugged up the rear T30 bolts to retain their relative position. Next did the same with the hex head bolts in the front. I was able to reach these with a thin ½” open end wrench.

Now do one last check to make sure the bar is centered. If you are happy with its position, tighten the T40 mounting bolts and you are done. If you are not happy with the position, loosen the T30 and Hex Head bolts and adjust, then re-tighten them. Keep repeating until you are happy with its position then lock the T40 mounting bolts down and you are done.

Last edited by KyleF; 05-26-2021 at 08:43 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by KyleF:
CF-105 (06-06-2020), corvette95 (06-06-2020), digiengineer (06-06-2020), scotth48 (06-28-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 03:24 PM
rblakeney
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Have you tried reinstalling the top now that it's adjusted for the bar?

Looks cool and I'm pleased to hear that you feel a difference.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:57 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Originally Posted by rblakeney
Have you tried reinstalling the top now that it's adjusted for the bar?
Funny you should ask because yes I did. I had to fit a new top as well today. basically following the same procedure, but it was a little bit more difficult since the glass was in it and you could only work hunched over under it unlike on the bar. However, yes... unbolted all 4 bolts, wiglled and out it came. I then fitted the new top and took it for a ride. Then switched it back for summer driving. It just bolted right in. I do need to hold the front down until the threads start, but pulls in with no issue.

Just to be clear, you are adjusting the top(s) to the car.

Last edited by KyleF; 06-06-2020 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:21 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It looks pretty well made and looks good in your Vette
Old 06-06-2020, 09:03 PM
rblakeney
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by KyleF
Funny you should ask because yes I did. I had to fit a new top as well today. basically following the same procedure, but it was a little bit more difficult since the glass was in it and you could only work hunched over under it unlike on the bar. However, yes... unbolted all 4 bolts, wiglled and out it came. I then fitted the new top and took it for a ride. Then switched it back for summer driving. It just bolted right in. I do need to hold the front down until the threads start, but pulls in with no issue.

Just to be clear, you are adjusting the top(s) to the car.
Ah, that's it. I had to go have a look at my 89. Adjustments on the bar and top, not the car.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:43 AM
KyleF
Drifting

Originally Posted by rblakeney
Ah, that's it. I had to go have a look at my 89. Adjustments on the bar and top, not the car.
Actually, if you pull the trim back there should be some adjustment in the car. You shouldn't need it though.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:55 AM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Is that the same as the Ohio guy(Tom??)? Does he resell through Astrotops?
Old 06-26-2020, 12:30 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Originally Posted by vette196
Is that the same as the Ohio guy(Tom??)? Does he resell through Astrotops?
Yes there was a thread on this some time back. It was found that Astro Tops sells them now. It is identical to the older bars. Did Tom sell them the design, does he only sell through them, or do they pay him a royalty? I am not sure, but I am very happy with the fit and finish. Also, the lady at Astro Tops was an absolute sweetheart to deal with to get my orders placed.

Last edited by KyleF; 06-26-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:33 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

I was hoping to get a blue tint targa roof, but there are strong review for this product and its got me thinking
Old 06-26-2020, 12:39 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Originally Posted by vette196
I was hoping to get a blue tint targa roof, but there are strong review for this product and its got me thinking
The bar goes in when you take the roof out. The car still feels and sounds the same roof in or out.

Astro Tops offers blue tops. I am actually sending mine in as a core. I switched to a smoke grey for mine because I tinted my windows and inside the car felt weird with blue glass up top and smoked windows out the side and back. They replace the acrylic, but use factory frames as cores. Mine still had its OEM stickers on the frame when I received it. I had to do some adjustment to the hardware, but was easy enough as shown above.

Last edited by KyleF; 06-26-2020 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:48 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

The bar goes in when you take the roof out. The car still feels and sounds the same roof in or out.

Astro Tops offers blue tops. I am actually sending mine in as a core. I switched to a smoke grey for mine because I tinted my windows and inside the car felt weird with blue glass up top and smoked windows out the side and back. They replace the acrylic, but use factory frames as cores. Mine still had its OEM stickers on the frame when I received it. I had to do some adjustment to the hardware, but was easy enough as shown above.
I don't have a clear targa top only the painted one. When I was driving it, it would never have a top on. The only time I got in trouble was when I went to pick up my kid at school(1hr+ away). Weatherman said 15% chance of rain...hey 85% no rain is a good bet....No. So here I'm driving up I-95 with a light rain, its not too bad. When I got there I had a wool army blanket to cover while parked. That is my only hesitation......
Old 06-26-2020, 01:11 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

I changed the bolts on mine to Allen , just don't like the looks of hex bolts. Also capped the hole.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:12 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Originally Posted by FASTAZU
I changed the bolts on mine to Allen , just don't like the looks of hex bolts. Also capped the hole.
Nice, did you trim a hex key to get in there for adjustments or complete your adjustments with the hex and replace them after one at a time?

I like that look better too. Might just have to follow suit.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:07 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Nice, did you trim a hex key to get in there for adjustments or complete your adjustments with the hex and replace them after one at a time?

I like that look better too. Might just have to follow suit.
In red .. Just did not like that you could see the bolt head.
The following users liked this post:
KyleF (06-26-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Astro Tops Targa Bar (AFB Targa Bar) Install

Quick Reply: Astro Tops Targa Bar (AFB Targa Bar) Install