C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Keys locked in car, battery dead. Course of action?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 01:43 AM
The Example
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Keys locked in car, battery dead. Course of action?

Okay, so as I was getting ready for work I asked if I could take my dads van because it was snowing and I didn't want to have to wash the Vette when I got back home. He said fine "but leave me the keys to your car in case I want to go to the store." I said, "What the hell? The whole reason I don't want to take my car is because I dont want it to get dirty!" After a heated argument I decided to leave the keys in the ignition for him, thinking "it can't lock with the keys in it", right? Wrong.

I came back from work and my dad was fuming at me, saying I hid the keys from him. I said, "no they were in the car the whole time, see?" as I reached for the door. Locked. Crap.

I tried shaking the car to no avail. Manufacturing another of my patented C4 lock openers out of a brass pole, I pried the drivers window out from the moulding and flipped the power unlock switch. Nothing.

I then took the pole and jabbed at the keys which swung mockingly from the ignition. Nothing. Dead butt battery.

Now I am befuddled. It is pretty difficult to hit the manual unlock switch; I don't know of anything I have in the garage strong enough to manipulate it.

I have AAA, but I don't trust them with my car. Is it possible to go to a Chevy dealer with my VIN number and have them cut a door key (and an ignition key for that matter, I could use an extra set)?
Old 12-04-2002, 02:18 AM
Hamert
Racer

Default Re: Keys locked in car, battery dead. Course of action? (stormy652)

Sounds like a dead battery for sure, if you shook the car with the keys in the ignition, it should make the PKE work. I was doubtful of this until I tried it myself. I put the window down and the keys inside the car and waited until the light went out. Then I shook the car with the keys inside and it tried to cycle the locks and turned the interior light on....cool. I would say get a emergency hood release thing, and change out the battery and see if that does it...
Old 12-04-2002, 08:01 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Yes, you can go to a dealer with your VIN and have a new door key made.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:06 AM
Steel Blue 91
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer is one route. I think they can cut a door key from the VIN. In the mean time, if you can find something long and stiff (just leave that statement alone) you can try the "cross-cabin unlock. Pry the window away from the weatherstrip at the rear, insert the long rod (broom handle, etc.) through the space and across to the opposite door. You should be able to push the manual lock to the unlock position. Worked for a friend with a 90 coupe.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:27 AM
PTz-92-LT1
Racer

Default Re: Keys locked in car, battery dead. Course of action? (Steel Blue 91)

1) Use you Hide-A-Key (bet you will get one now!)
2) Get your hood release tool and pop the hood then replace the battery, they use the keyless entry.
3) A SlimJim in the hands of a knowledgeable person will not harm the car.
4) See the dealer with your VIN.
5) Do the cross-cabin pole routine by wedging the glass away from the weather stripping.

Old 12-04-2002, 12:37 PM
The Example
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

The battery is nearly brand-new, so it is not so much faulty as dead...Why, I am not sure. It did sit for a couple days and I left the AC adapters plugged in. That and there's still power lights on for the plug-in accessories. I dont know what is going on there.

The second thing was that the alarm set itself while the keys were in the ignition (and within range for that matter) which raises both eyebrows.

I'm going to go to the Chevy dealer with my VIN and a receipt for repairs that I had done over the summer and get a new set of keys made on my parents dime...They lost my extra set. :mad
Old 12-04-2002, 12:43 PM
Chief Muktar
Racer

just get someone to use a slimjim, I got my BCAA to use one on my car when I thought I left my keys in the car. It took the guy all of 10 seconds to unlock the door for me. I turned out I hadn't left the keys in the car anyways ..... :bb
Old 12-04-2002, 01:01 PM
dppeaden
Racer

BIG HAMMER :jester, Call a lock smith. He/She can make a key. About $75. You can try this, Have some one pull out on the top of the door glass, while he i pulling on the glass slide a arm in and unlock the door. The glass will give quite a bit before breaking.

:jester
Old 12-04-2002, 04:27 PM
The Example
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Keys locked in car, battery dead. Course of action? (dppeaden)

I'm not about to stick my hand in there, thats a little too far!

I called Chevy and it turns out they only keep the key codes off of the VIN for seven years. Seeing how it is a 94, I'm SOL there.

I don't have any suitable materials for a cross-cabin unlock, so I guess I'll just have to call AAA and get a locksmith. Sigh....
Old 12-04-2002, 04:39 PM
hngacurv
Race Director

I keep hearing of everyone pulling back their glass. Seems like that would wear something out or possibly break it. If anyone can get in the car with the window trick, why not just keep the magnet hide a key box and keep a door key in it?
Old 12-04-2002, 05:16 PM
superlund
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Keys locked in car, battery dead. Course of action? (castivers)

I had the same thing happen the weekend I bought the car. I tried to shake it & it wouldn't re-activate the PKE. Just called the local "Pop a Lock" took the guy about 30 seconds W/ the car setting in my garage, and it only cost me $35 (one of the least costly mistake's I've made). :D
Old 12-04-2002, 06:41 PM
The Example
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Keys locked in car, battery dead. Course of action? (superlund)

Success!

I called AAA, they sent out a guy for me. About an hour later he showed up. He had a small square air bladder about 4x4. He slipped it between the window and the rear weatherstripping and then pumped it up, creating a gap without scratching the glass by a screwdriver/other means.

He then took a 4 foot long metal rod with a T handle on one end and a small hook on the other. He had a little difficulty locating the manual lock switch until I stepped in with my trusty flashlight.

10 seconds later the car was opened. The battery was absolutely dead. I'm not sure what in the hell is causing that; maybe I have a short somewhere...

Either way, I finally unlocked the car and it didn't cost me a dime! Thats the third time AAA has saved my butt! Once after my clutch exploded and I had to be flatbedded, once after my moms van broke down, and now this.

The guy who unlocked it stuck around for a few minutes to take a look at our litter of lab puppies; he may buy one!

A spot of sunshine in an otherwise cloudy day...

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:10 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

brick..... :jester

Get notified of new replies

To Keys locked in car, battery dead. Course of action?

Quick Reply: Keys locked in car, battery dead. Course of action?