C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to test for bad spark plug wires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 11:30 AM
XTwinTurbo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to test for bad spark plug wires?

Still trying to diagnois my miss / hesitation at over 2500 rpm. So far I've swapped out the plugs and coil, rewired my ignition box and sealed up boost leaks.

Next I'm thinking my plug wires may be bad, but they're only about a year old (Taylor 8mm). Anyway I can test for spark arcing or misfiring on one of the cylinders?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2002, 11:40 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: How to test for bad spark plug wires? (XTwinTurbo)

Unplug both ends of each plug wire one at a time and measure the resistance. Resistance plug wires are normally 5000 ohms per foot. You may have wires that use a coil of wire as the conductor, if so, the wire resistance would be very low. Look for very high resistance, or an open circuit wire.
Old 12-04-2002, 12:55 PM
James94LT1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to test for bad spark plug wires? (jfb)

Heres a trick that might work for ya. If you have a timing light around hook it to each wire and watch it flash, should be a rythmic flash if you find one that is out of sync examine that wire. I found a burnt wire doing this once when the dealer told me they had no idea what was wrong with my car.

Old 12-04-2002, 11:30 PM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: How to test for bad spark plug wires? (XTwinTurbo)

Iv'e found bad a bad one by misting the wires with water (from old spray bottle) and running the engine in the dark. If you see little arcing bolts around the wires they are definately bad. But they may not arc at all and still be bad, so take it for what it's worth... :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To How to test for bad spark plug wires?

Quick Reply: How to test for bad spark plug wires?