C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone use an ACTRON ALDL Adapter Cable and ACTRON CP9145 Scanner on their C4 ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 10:22 AM
76C3forme
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Anyone use an ACTRON ALDL Adapter Cable and ACTRON CP9145 Scanner on their C4 ??

I have an Actron CP9145 Scanner (OBD-2 and OBD-1 capable with proper cable).... like this one:

Does anyone use this same scanner along with the available OBD-1 adapter cable on their C4 ?

I know that data is pretty basic but was wondering what info is available with this setup.
(Anything more than just jumping the pins in the connector under the dash)? I've been debating picking one up. Just curious if anyone else has this scanner.

Actron uses a proprietary serial to OBD-2 connector which is removable to attach other cables for some other older GM , Ford, Chrysler etc connectors as well as the standard OBD-2 that works on pretty much any OBD-2 car.

A few years back, I actually picked up a cheap generic serial to OBD-1 cable hoping to make a custom cable, but the serial data pin(s) on that generic cable don't seem to be "wired" (at all)! The few pins that are wired on the generic cable are not the ones used for transmitting data. (which is odd since it's a ALDL cable adapter. You'd think the serial data pins would actually be wired) ! Only 2-3 are actually wired, and they don't correspond to the data pins on pretty much any ALDL that I've ever seen. They seem to be just random. I'm sure I could cut it up and rewire it, (if I had a diagram for the Actron Scanner cable wiring - which I don't.

Wondering if anyone uses this setup. My gut kind of says the adapter cable isn't really worth it (if it only provides codes), but if engine temp, TPS sensor voltage and other data is provided, it could possibly be more appealing.

Last edited by 76C3forme; 03-16-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:52 AM
Nomake Wan
Drifting

Received 597 Likes on 447 Posts

Absolutely not worth it. Much better to get a cable for your computer and use TunerPro RT (or EEHack for 94-95).
Old 03-16-2021, 12:12 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,428 Likes on 1,035 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I dont use that particular Actron model, I think mine is a 93xx that displays more, but I do have that setup with the OBD1 cable adapter. It is useful to read off the instantaneous data when making a quick adjustment or quick diagnosis.

If I need to log data or really dig more then I use the laptop and Tunerpro.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:23 PM
Nomake Wan
Drifting

To be more clear, the manual for this scanner claims it can read all the PIDs in the GM ALDL datastream. What PIDs are available depends on what year car you have. If you post what you have, I can tell you what your computer broadcasts.

A laptop computer with a cable is more useful since you can log data, graph data, and share data with people so they can help you diagnose things. But as vader86 said, if all you want is to glance at a single data parameter, the Actron can do it.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:20 PM
76C3forme
Racer

Thanks for all of the comments. That's pretty much what I was thinking as well. I just "dug out" my last '87 Silver Biege Metallic that I had in storage. I think Tuner Pro obviously is the way to go. I was just curious to see what was read by the Actron. This car is pretty much a driver. Mild Edelbrock cam and slight port job is pretty much it. All of my fun cars are manual , but I love the Silver Biege "non-2 tone" C4's and picked this up as a cruiser even though it was an Automatic. (Which is why it's pretty un-touched).

I did have some info bookmarked for Tuner Pro and appropriate cable / adapters etc. I'll have to do some research on that.

Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
To be more clear, the manual for this scanner claims it can read all the PIDs in the GM ALDL datastream. What PIDs are available depends on what year car you have. If you post what you have, I can tell you what your computer broadcasts.

A laptop computer with a cable is more useful since you can log data, graph data, and share data with people so they can help you diagnose things. But as vader86 said, if all you want is to glance at a single data parameter, the Actron can do it.

Last edited by 76C3forme; 03-16-2021 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:46 PM
Nomake Wan
Drifting

Originally Posted by 76C3forme
Thanks for all of the comments. That's pretty much what I was thinking as well. I just "dug out" my last '87 Silver Biege Metallic that I had in storage. I think Tuner Pro obviously is the way to go. I was just curious to see what was read by the Actron. This car is pretty much a driver. Mild Edelbrock cam and slight port job is pretty much it. All of my fun cars are manual , but I love the Silver Biege "non-2 tone" C4's and picked this up as a cruiser even though it was an Automatic. (Which is why it's pretty un-touched).

I did have some info bookmarked for Tuner Pro and appropriate cable / adapters etc. I'll have to do some research on that.
Your '87 Corvette uses definition A28 ( http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead...f/aldl/A028.DS ) and as such, you have the following data available to read:

160 Baud Mode
Coolant Temp, Vehicle Speed, RPM, Throttle Position, EGR Duty Cycle, O2 Voltage, Closed Loop Correction Factor, Manifold Air Temperature, Airflow, Injector Pulse Width

8192 Baud Mode
Coolant Temp, Startup Coolant Temp, Vehicle Speed, RPM, Throttle Position, EGR Duty Cycle, O2 Voltage, BLM Cell, Integrator, IAC Step, Idle Set Command, Desired Idle RPM, Manifold Absolute Pressure, Manifold Air Temperature, CCP Purge Duty Cycle, Cooling Fan Duty Cycle, Battery Voltage, Airflow, Spark Advance, ESC Output, Injector Pulse Width, Total Fuel Delivered, Total Distance Traveled, Engine Running Time

And of course error codes. I'm not sure if the Actron knows how to enter 8192 mode on an '87, but it might.

Last edited by Nomake Wan; 03-16-2021 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:01 PM
CorvetteRules
Drifting

Received 337 Likes on 236 Posts

I have an Actron 9650 which can be used on both I and II. While I had my 91 it worked well and was able to log. Also have used on my 95 and a couple of my current II with good results.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:25 PM
76C3forme
Racer

Hey thanks for the detailed info Nomake Wan,
I guess it could be helpful to know things like coolant temp, TPS, MAP, (and a bunch of items in the 8192 section if it was able to).

In the end I guess the proper cable and tuner pro would be better. I'll have to do some research on that...

Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
Your '87 Corvette uses definition A28 ( http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead...f/aldl/A028.DS ) and as such, you have the following data available to read:

160 Baud Mode
Coolant Temp, Vehicle Speed, RPM, Throttle Position, EGR Duty Cycle, O2 Voltage, Closed Loop Correction Factor, Manifold Air Temperature, Airflow, Injector Pulse Width

8192 Baud Mode
Coolant Temp, Startup Coolant Temp, Vehicle Speed, RPM, Throttle Position, EGR Duty Cycle, O2 Voltage, BLM Cell, Integrator, IAC Step, Idle Set Command, Desired Idle RPM, Manifold Absolute Pressure, Manifold Air Temperature, CCP Purge Duty Cycle, Cooling Fan Duty Cycle, Battery Voltage, Airflow, Spark Advance, ESC Output, Injector Pulse Width, Total Fuel Delivered, Total Distance Traveled, Engine Running Time

And of course error codes. I'm not sure if the Actron knows how to enter 8192 mode on an '87, but it might.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone use an ACTRON ALDL Adapter Cable and ACTRON CP9145 Scanner on their C4 ??

Quick Reply: Anyone use an ACTRON ALDL Adapter Cable and ACTRON CP9145 Scanner on their C4 ??