C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Replacing antenna mast in '88 model...have question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 03:55 PM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
-'24

Default Replacing antenna mast in '88 model...have question

Like a moron I bent my antenna mast on my '88 35th Anniv. Ed. So now I have to replace it. :bb :mad

I can't even order a new mast until I find out if it's a Harada or Ac/Delco electric antenna. My question is, how the heck do I get to the electric antenna motor to replace the mast? Do I go through the back of the hatch from the inside? I've had it stripped before but never noticed access to the antenna motor. How do I get to the motor? :confused:

TIA for any help here. :seeya
Old 12-13-2002, 05:31 PM
mpennabe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Replacing antenna mast in '88 model...have question (The^Nomad)

Here ya go - quoted straight from Chiltons for 1984 - 88 models - not real explicit, but a place to start. I have a 1990, and did not have to do this - yet, but since I had the book laying here, thought it might help. You might find some threads from others who managed to remove the antenna from underneath - check the archives. Good luck!

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Open the hatch, then remove the rear trim panel.
3. Disconnect the power antenna lead from the relay.
4. Remove the left side trim.
5. If equipped, remove the luggage shade.
6. Remove the left side carpet trim, then pull the carpet back.
7. Remove the left side trim panel.
8. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
9. Remove the inner fender screws and brace open for access.
10. Remove the antenna ground strap.
11. Unfasten the plastic nut at the top of the mast.
12. Remove the antenna bracket nuts.
13. Remove the power and antenna leads by pulling them through the body.
14. Remove the antenna from the vehicle. If replacing the antenna, transfer the bracket and ground strap.
15. Installation is the reverse of removal.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:24 PM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
-'24

Default Re: Replacing antenna mast in '88 model...have question (mpennabe)

Great, I have to pull the car apart....again! Gotta love the C4. :lol: :rolleyes:

Old 12-14-2002, 12:29 AM
hngacurv
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have long thin arms you can reach the antenna bezel and remove everything from underneath the car. I don't have mufflers in the way of mine and can see everything fine, but can't reach it. I had to remove the rear tire and fender well.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:28 PM
gbody5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Replacing antenna mast in '88 model...have question (castivers)

I did all of mine, except for the wiring of course, from under the car, without removing the fender well. Now that I think of it, that may have made it much easier, but I do have long skinny arms, so I managed quite well. If you do it this way, just be sure to wear safety glasses to keep all that dirt that is caught in the antenna motor assy out of your eyes. Mid-America had the entire motor for the 88's on sale for $99 last time I looked.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:02 AM
dawgs55
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 88 and it was fairly easy. Take loose the inside rear and left covers and speaker grill. Unplug the plug from the relay and unplug the antenna wire from connection(should be close to that location. From underneath: Take out bolts from bottom of antenna(see previous thread on eye protection) reach up and pull grommet out and wires from inside car. Clean up antenna before disassembling. Take antenna apart and replace mast. It's been a while since I did it but if you need details on mast replacement I try to help.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:00 PM
brookman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did mine completly from underneath the car. I even disassembled and reassembled the gear assembly without disconnecting it. It wasn't easy but it can be done.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:02 PM
brookman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one more thing. you shouldn't have to dissamble any thing if it isn't broken. undo the nut on the top and turn the radio on - the antenna will pop out. catch it or it could scratch the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing antenna mast in '88 model...have question

Quick Reply: Replacing antenna mast in '88 model...have question