C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

crossfire injection conversion help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 05:43 PM
427t-top
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default crossfire injection conversion help please

I,m converting a crossfire to carb and need some advice from some one who has done this conversion. Anyone out there willing to help. TIA, Roy
Old 12-15-2002, 10:16 PM
john25
Pro

Default Re: crossfire injection conversion help please (427t-top)

I converted my '84 to a carb along with a whole lotta other mods. I can help you out.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:58 AM
MCAF84
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: crossfire injection conversion help please (john25)

I changed mine over several years ago and have been very happy with it
I just ran a new best time of 11.64 @ 118.9 :D
Old 12-16-2002, 12:36 PM
427t-top
Pro

Default Re: crossfire injection conversion help please (MCAF84)

lsthanks for the response guys. I am having problems with hood clearance using the performer RPM intake and Holley 750 mechanical carb. The engine is a 385 with edelbrock performer rpm angle plug heads. I have found my fuel pump wire but am unsure which circuit to tie to for reliability. I see several igniton acc on slots on the fuse block and am thinking that I can tie in there(under the dash)and run a remote 20amp fuse to a switched wire but am not sure which one will carry the amperage required for the fuel pump. And finally, my check engine light stays on unless I unplug the fuse that says ECM on the fuse block. All my digital gauges seem to still work with this unplugged, do you know of any problems I'll encounter if I just leave it unplugged? Also, what did you do to get the tach working with a standard HEI ignition, do I just plug it in without the lfilter? Thanks for all your help, I,m looking forward to driving this with a real performance system in place. :steering:
Old 12-16-2002, 12:41 PM
427t-top
Pro

By the way, Micheal, great times on that 383. I was hoping for low 12's with my setup. 700r4, 2300 stall, 3.73 gears. Hope to keep the AC and sub 200F engine temp. :cheers:
Old 12-16-2002, 03:20 PM
MCAF84
Instructor

I powered my fuel pump with the wire going to the fuel pump in the tank and mounted the new fuel pump on the crossmember just in front of the gas tank ( I don't have a spare)

I pulled the bulb out of the check engine lite

The tach should work if you remove the filter I have a monster tach mounted in front of the dash tach (which is not real accurate) and I run my RPM up to 6500

I installed a 2.5" cowl hood scoop to fit the RPM Airgap and a 1" spacer. I ran a weiand stealth intake before with no hood clearance problems

Old 12-16-2002, 04:43 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: crossfire injection conversion help please (MCAF84)

Hey MCAF84,
Since you use a 750CARB, how does your computer react to the change? WHat about your injector wires, did you just leave them there hanging? Also is it street legal and does your vette still carry smog equipment and even pass smog test?
Old 12-16-2002, 07:08 PM
427t-top
Pro

Default Re: crossfire injection conversion help please (Light84vette)

Thanks for the reply Michael. I,m going to stay with the in tank pump(it puts out 18 lbs of pressure)if I don't have a volume problem. Did you leave the old pump in place? How did you get the wire to go hot without the computer activated through the throttle bodies?. Where did you get your cowl induction hood scoop? Any pictures?
Old 12-17-2002, 01:08 AM
john25
Pro

I used the stock fuel pump with a Mallory ,adjustable fuel pressure regulator, part # 4309, set at 7 psi. This regulator has a return port for the fuel return line. I didn't need to hook up any additional wiring. As for the tach, just hook it up like it was before with the tach filter. Mine works fine. For the check engine light I just pulled the bulb. For the crossfire wires & connections I bundled them up with electrical tape and zip ties and routed them out of the way. I didn't cut anything in case I ever decide to go back to crossfire someday. I too have hood clearance issues. I'm using a Weiand #8000 intake right now with a Holley 750 cfm carb with a 3" air filter element on a droped base. My hood hits the air filter/carb setup and I cracked the paint. I bought a 3" raised hood scoop in the stock shape that I need to have installed. Once it's on, I'll put on a Edelbrock Air Gap intake.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:57 AM
MCAF84
Instructor

Light84vette THe only thing I lost on the change was the instant mph counter the stock fuel pump worked fine in the begining but as I increased HP I needed more fuel volume. the stock pump is still in the tank as a helper pump to the Holley blue pump that I run. I'm not sure what all the computer runs an the car It has to be only for engine management because every thing still works.
I thought long and hard about swapping to a carb and the possibility of going back to the crossfire some day and it came down to ALL or nothing
So I cut the TB wire harness at the fire wall and removed as much as I could It has no smog stuff and it is street legal ( we don't have smog check here) But I seriously doubt it will pass :rolleyes: That is not a concern this is MY toy
I hope this all helps
Sorry for being long winded thats not like me
But then again I like talking about my car
Good luck
Mike
Old 12-17-2002, 04:01 PM
427t-top
Pro

Default Re: crossfire injection conversion help please (john25)

John, where did you buy you hoodscoop? I did a startup last night and everything is ok so far except that the carb/aircleaner does hit the hood. Neither of you had to rewire for your in tank fuel pump? Mine won't engage unless I run switched fuse wiring to it. Did I miss something? Micheal, I got you instant message on the spal fans, can you tell me a source for them? Do you overheat at speed with the stock radiator? What kind of temps should I expect? Thanks, you guys are a great help and Micheal, you cn't ever get too long-winded about your corvette, I enjoy hearing about the project and it is certainly something to be proud of. thanks again :flag
Old 12-17-2002, 05:29 PM
MCAF84
Instructor

I got the fans at Racer Parts Wholesale
1.800.397.7815 or http://www.racepartswholesale.com

No I did not over heat but it did run at 180* with a 160* thermostat in traffic
I cooled off when I started running at speed (more air thru the radiator)

Never had a problem getting the fuel pump to run that was one thing I didn't have to worry about

Good luck on your project
Mike

I just reread the question about the hood scoop
I got it at unlimited products http://www.up22.com
it is for a late model mustang. my wife works at a body shop, I had them put it on I will email you pictures tomorrow from work. I don't have anywere to post them
Mike

[Modified by MCAF84, 4:39 PM 12/17/2002]

[Modified by MCAF84, 4:40 PM 12/17/2002]
Old 12-17-2002, 06:10 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

i changed to a carb & love it!! email me a fax # & ill fax you a detailed article on how to do the conversion. :cheers:
Old 12-17-2002, 06:14 PM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

John, where did you buy you hoodscoop? I did a startup last night and everything is ok so far except that the carb/aircleaner does hit the hood.
if you mill the airhorn the hood will not hit! ill email you a picture of my setup. :cheers:
Old 12-17-2002, 07:27 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: crossfire injection conversion help please (yoslambo1@cs.com)

How much power can the stock 84 Corvette with an auto drivetrain take till it breaks. I plan on going to 425Fly HP first then change the Trans and rear axel. But will the stock drivetrain hold up untill then?
Old 12-18-2002, 09:25 AM
yoslambo1@cs.com
Safety Car

How much power can the stock 84 Corvette with an auto drivetrain take till it breaks. I plan on going to 425Fly HP first then change the Trans and rear axel. But will the stock drivetrain hold up untill then?
i suggest a tranny rebuild! im on my 3rd! this one was beefed up & so far so good. good luck! :cheers:
Old 12-18-2002, 06:40 PM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: crossfire injection conversion help please (yoslambo1@cs.com)

Thanks, I think I'm going to need it, No pretty sure I'm going to need that. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To crossfire injection conversion help please

Old 12-18-2002, 10:32 PM
john25
Pro

I bought the raised hood scoop on Ebay. It has the stock C4 hood shape but with a 3"-4" raised center like the Z28 cowl induction hoods. I placed it on top of my stock hood and it's the same width and length too. It looks like it'll be a "cut and paste" type of thing for a body shop. I've seen one or two on auction since I bought mine. I don't know what company makes it since I bought it from a private party and he didn't know either. :(
Old 01-17-2015, 09:05 AM
Tony Cic
Heel & Toe

Default 84 to carb

Originally Posted by john25
I converted my '84 to a carb along with a whole lotta other mods. I can help you out.
building a 383 stroker and have a 4+3 trans. Getting a lot of conflicting info on converting to carb. Also considering EFI ...would love your input
Old 01-17-2015, 11:48 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Cic
building a 383 stroker and have a 4+3 trans. Getting a lot of conflicting info on converting to carb. Also considering EFI ...would love your input
He posted that 13 years ago. I don't think he's going to see your comment.

Quick Reply: crossfire injection conversion help please