C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oil Leak and Electrical Issue and Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 10:10 AM
Alejandro Guerrero
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Oil Leak and Electrical Issue and Ticking

First Issue is oil leaking from the part that screws into the block and holds the oil pressure sensor. I tried putting some gasket maker on the threads to stop the oil leak and I don't know if I need to put more or what the issue is. I am 90% sure it is coming from this and not the intake manifold.

Second issue is a ticking noise coming from the engine. Cold it is somewhat random but as it heats up it becomes more consistent. Here is a video
It is kind of hard to hear between the engine and the air intake but it is a tick tick tick sound.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oPDPDP5KUe8Pox3m7

Third issue is that while I was letting it idle to warm up because I am also trying to bleed the coolant, it started to drop in rpms and then die in the course of about 10 seconds. I did press down on the throttle to give it some gas but that didn't save it. I noticed before it died that the digital part of the dash was off as well. It then refused to even make the starter tick after that. My guess is a bad ground again but the car was too hot for me to dig around in there so if anyone has any other suggestions while I wait I am open.

Looking for help on any of these, thank you!
Old 08-16-2021, 01:15 PM
DWAVette
Drifting

Received 559 Likes on 356 Posts

As far as the oil leak, did you pull the sending unit fitting and re-seal it? If so, did you inspect the threads (male and female) when it was out? Did you get a decent torque on the fitting? How much oil is leaking? Is that and old Oil Pressure Switch? Is it possibly leaking? Can you reach and thoroughly clean everything off and see the oil seepage?

The ticking noise - when I got my 1982 last year, the engine had a ticking noise. Eventually found one of the spark plug wires was not fully seated onto the distributor. I properly seated the plug and the ticking sound went away. Probably not your problem, but easy enough to check. Also check the spark plug end as well.

Good luck.
Old 08-16-2021, 03:18 PM
Alejandro Guerrero
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DWAVette
As far as the oil leak, did you pull the sending unit fitting and re-seal it? If so, did you inspect the threads (male and female) when it was out? Did you get a decent torque on the fitting? How much oil is leaking? Is that and old Oil Pressure Switch? Is it possibly leaking? Can you reach and thoroughly clean everything off and see the oil seepage?

The ticking noise - when I got my 1982 last year, the engine had a ticking noise. Eventually found one of the spark plug wires was not fully seated onto the distributor. I properly seated the plug and the ticking sound went away. Probably not your problem, but easy enough to check. Also check the spark plug end as well.

Good luck.
The oil pressure sensor is new and I can tell that the oil is coming from the part that screws directly into the block. I took it out and put some oil resistant gasket maker on the threads, I can see if I can tighten it more though.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Leak and Electrical Issue and Ticking

Quick Reply: Oil Leak and Electrical Issue and Ticking