C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hood alingment

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 02:15 PM
Growth 3
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Hood alingment

HELP! To start I am not a body man. I have tried everything to get the hood aligned on my 89 and need help. Is there any body men that could tell me how to get a good gap on my hood? The engine compartment is empty so I have access to everything. Any tricks would be helpful. And if anybody is in the South Carolina area and could make a house call I would gladly pay it!

Old 07-02-2022, 03:29 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

From what I've read in the past .......... the first thing you want to do is make sure that the rear of the doors are in alignment with the rear of the body. This insures that there is no sag in the door hinges that might need to be adjusted first.
Once the rear of the door are in alignment then its time to align the rear portion of the hood with the front of the doors.
Once that is done then the front of the hood gets aligned with the front bumper cover.

There are several good hints at how to get the hood aligned with the front of the doors in this thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nt-1986-a.html

and also in this thread : https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-to-door.html

Old 07-02-2022, 10:14 PM
Growth 3
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

That's some good info. I was wondering is anybody had any tips on where to put shims to straighten out the hood if one corner is too close to the doors or not high enough.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:10 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I'd think you'd want to put a shim under the passenger side of the hinge-to-frame junction. That's going to raise the passenger side up, get the hood-to-door "seam" more parallel, and probably lower the driver's side as well. (You can see a shim peaking out in the first pic of the "pointers on hood alignment" link above.) Based on the amount of "tilt" you have, it might need to be a fairly thick shim. FWIW, you may want to remove any shims that are one the driver's side of the hood-to-body hinge(s). If any are over there.

Get notified of new replies

To Hood alingment

Quick Reply: Hood alingment