C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1986: Fuel pressure goes to 35-40psi, then drops to 0 immediately.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 09:23 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 1986: Fuel pressure goes to 35-40psi, then drops to 0 immediately.

I can't get the car started, and have tried many diagnostic angles. The most obvious issue to me, is that the fuel pressure goes to 35-40psi when I put the ignition on, then drops to 0 rapidly. It does not increase at all when cranking. I could not find this particular issue anywhere. Most deal with having pressure or not, but haven't found anything where there is initial pressure that drops off immediately. Can anyone point me in the right direction with diagnosing?

Thank you...
Old 08-21-2022, 11:12 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 318 Likes on 272 Posts

When you turn the key on, the fuel pump primes for 2 seconds. It only does it once. After that the ECM needs to see pulses from the distributor to power the pump again. The dropping back to zero quickly may be a bad injector, fuel pressure regulator, or pump check valve. While this indicates a problem, it's probably not what's keeping it from running. Check for spark and fuel injector pulses.
Old 08-21-2022, 11:27 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

It might be a good idea to take off the hose to the fpr and check for gas in the line. And check the oil for gas. Someone might help with diagnostics for the pressure dropping rapidly I think you just pinch off the return hose fp hose and the one to the fuel rail one at a time the pressure has to be lost somewhere.

Old 08-26-2022, 07:45 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jv9999
When you turn the key on, the fuel pump primes for 2 seconds. It only does it once. After that the ECM needs to see pulses from the distributor to power the pump again. The dropping back to zero quickly may be a bad injector, fuel pressure regulator, or pump check valve. While this indicates a problem, it's probably not what's keeping it from running. Check for spark and fuel injector pulses.
Hello.

I don't get any spark either. Can you tell me how I can check for injector pulses?

Thank you.
Old 08-26-2022, 07:47 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ToniJ1960
It might be a good idea to take off the hose to the fpr and check for gas in the line. And check the oil for gas. Someone might help with diagnostics for the pressure dropping rapidly I think you just pinch off the return hose fp hose and the one to the fuel rail one at a time the pressure has to be lost somewhere.
Hello.

I remember doing that fuel line pinch test another time when it wouldn't start. Can anyone direct me to where I can find a step by step instructional for that?

Thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To 1986: Fuel pressure goes to 35-40psi, then drops to 0 immediately.

Quick Reply: 1986: Fuel pressure goes to 35-40psi, then drops to 0 immediately.