C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone had to replace rack & pinion steering unit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 12:55 PM
Darrell G
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone had to replace rack & pinion steering unit?

I have an 89 with only 37k miles. I have had it to several alignment shop to try to improve the handling on roads with grooves or ridges. It follows every line in the road, including the white stripe.

The most recent suspension guy, has checked everything and done a four wheel alignment. It's a little better, but still is not great. I know there is a bit if that tendancy on some C4's but he says, about the only thing left is change out the rack & pinion unit. He says it's a gamble whether it will fix the problem.

What are the symptoms of this unit giving trouble?
Old 01-07-2003, 03:15 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Anyone had to replace rack & pinion steering unit? (Darrell G)

haven't heard of a rack and pinion making a difference one way or another as far as tracking the road goes.....if the rack goes, you will get what they call morning sickness......when the fluid is cold it is quite hard to steer one direction, and terrible the other (can't remember which)
the job is a PITA, i had to do mine TWICE in a week! but i had help the first time (thanks Bill Reid) and i did the second one with a little phone support!
just make sure if you do it to go and buy an 18mm tubing wrench to remove the pressure line (i think) from the rack!
Old 01-07-2003, 03:51 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Anyone had to replace rack & pinion steering unit?

John G 92 installed two rack&pinions on my '90. One was defective, so it was taken out and replaced with a re-man(Original one was a re-man also). My power steering pump was also replaced. The original one started leaking so we killed two birds with one stone! I still remember that day! It must have been 100 degrees. :reddevil

:cheers:
Old 01-07-2003, 03:54 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Anyone had to replace rack & pinion steering unit? (85_togo)

put as much castor in it as you can. Mine used to track everything in the road too. It was not very much fun to drive on the highway cause you couldn't take your eyes off the road for a second or you might be in another lane when you looked up. I finally gave up on the stock alignment specs and used a set of specs recommended by Rippie (alignment shops hate this). Anyway, it was night and day. The stock castor on my 85 was 3 degrees. I told to shop to put in as much castor as possible and they got about 6 1/2 deg in it. Huge difference :)
Old 01-07-2003, 04:24 PM
Rick92
Pro

I would suspect front wheel bearings instead of steering, not cheap but easy to replace, It cured mine wandering I had about 36,000 mi. at the time. :cheers:
Old 01-07-2003, 04:51 PM
snaketr
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone had to replace rack & pinion steering unit? (Rick92)

This is a common problem with Corvettes. One of the reasons it does this is because of the tire size, it actually stradles the gooves in the payment and make it want to wonder.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:46 AM
flyersfan1088
Melting Slicks

As far as morning sickness goes, I actually found an additive that works. Lucas Power Steering Fluid made a HUGE difference in my steering. I can actually turn the wheel with one hand now! If steering grabs, buy this stuff, it works.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone had to replace rack & pinion steering unit?

Quick Reply: Anyone had to replace rack & pinion steering unit?