C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Belt tensioner not releasing belt

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 02:42 PM
eawatling
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Belt tensioner not releasing belt

I read the service manual, looked up everything. My 1994s belt tensioner just won't let up. Which bolt do I use and which direction am I supposed to turn it? Are there any alternatives? I just seems like I keep turning it and it keeps doing absolutely nothing.

I have tried both bolts in both directions. Both as in the one on the tensioner and tensioner pulley. Neither do anything. Could it be stuck?

Last edited by eawatling; 01-06-2024 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-06-2024, 04:04 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 449 Likes on 409 Posts

Ok what is the objective, are you trying to to change the belt or tensioner. Either way start with releasing the belt. The bolt even with the tension/ idler put a wrench of and push or pull which will release the belt and slide off of one of the accessories and release wrench slowly.
If you want the tensioner off with the belt now off go to the bolt going through the spring turn counterclockwise unbolt and remove
Old 01-07-2024, 02:01 PM
eawatling
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turns out it was just really really stuck. I had to put an extension on my breaker bar, but once it let up it worked. Didn’t break anything thank god, works perfectly now. Thanks for the information, everything online was really confusing

Get notified of new replies

To Belt tensioner not releasing belt

Quick Reply: Belt tensioner not releasing belt