C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need help with half shaft information

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 07:17 AM
dentalfloss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Need help with half shaft information

I have been having a problem with my 1990 shaking while driving. I believe I narrowed it down to the left half shaft/ hub asssemble. I have it in jack stands with the rear suspension loaded. While running it in gear the right hub assemble is smooth but the left is shaking. I removed the shaft and replaced the u-joints with spicer and the shaft looks good physically but still shakes. I want to replace the shaft with another but am having a problem finding one with pn 10154277. Are there other shafts that are compatable. I see lots of half shafts for sale with different pn #'s and am confused.

All the bushings attached to the hub are good and tight and the wheel bearing as well. What do you think is causing the shaking. Thank you all

Old 05-01-2024, 08:43 AM
Phobos84
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 371 Posts

I could be wrong but I doubt the issue is with the shaft itself. Being these are so short balancing is usually not an issue. This is according to the machine shop that made me a set of steel shafts anyway. But any driveshaft shop can check the balance for you and even correct it if there is an issue. The exception to this of course is if your shaft is somehow bent....(The 12 year old in my head is giggling after typing that lol)

I would really look at the yoke on the dif on that side and also the spindle for any damage. How old is the wheel bearing?

But if you do need a new half shaft the part numbers don't matter. All the non ZR1 shafts were the same. If you want to have a new set made I can give you the info of the place that made mine. They do incredible work for a very good price.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:46 AM
Jud Chapin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 418 Likes on 289 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by dentalfloss
I have been having a problem with my 1990 shaking while driving. I believe I narrowed it down to the left half shaft/ hub asssemble. I have it in jack stands with the rear suspension loaded. While running it in gear the right hub assemble is smooth but the left is shaking. I removed the shaft and replaced the u-joints with spicer and the shaft looks good physically but still shakes. I want to replace the shaft with another but am having a problem finding one with pn 10154277. Are there other shafts that are compatable. I see lots of half shafts for sale with different pn #'s and am confused.

All the bushings attached to the hub are good and tight and the wheel bearing as well. What do you think is causing the shaking. Thank you all
There are shops that balance shafts.
Old 05-01-2024, 01:38 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,328 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by Phobos84
All the non ZR1 shafts were the same.
Nothing special about the ZR-1 shaft. Only difference is in 90, the first 600-650 had steel. After that, they went to aluminum.
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 01:43 PM
Phobos84
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
Nothing special about the ZR-1 shaft. Only difference is in 90, the first 600-650 had steel. After that, they went to aluminum.
I didn't realize that any of the ZR1 shafts were aluminum. Huh I learned something new today.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:06 PM
dentalfloss
Racer

Originally Posted by Phobos84
I could be wrong but I doubt the issue is with the shaft itself. Being these are so short balancing is usually not an issue. This is according to the machine shop that made me a set of steel shafts anyway. But any driveshaft shop can check the balance for you and even correct it if there is an issue. The exception to this of course is if your shaft is somehow bent....(The 12 year old in my head is giggling after typing that lol)

I would really look at the yoke on the dif on that side and also the spindle for any damage. How old is the wheel bearing?

But if you do need a new half shaft the part numbers don't matter. All the non ZR1 shafts were the same. If you want to have a new set made I can give you the info of the place that made mine. They do incredible work for a very good price.
So this morning I started it left it at idle and put it in gear and I watched the hub moving in and out slowly. I removed the shaft and removed the new spicer joints and could not see anything wrong. I checked the diff yoke and it was solid with no movement to mention. I also started it again in gear to watch the yoke without out the shaft attached and all seemd fine. I ordered what looked to be a very clean unmarked shaft with an attached spindle with 41k miles and cost $130 and will go from there. Thank you for responding.

Old 05-01-2024, 03:31 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Don't discount the fact that you 'could have' an issue that's internal to the differential. Swap the half-shafts side to side and see if the issue follows the half-shaft.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:06 AM
dentalfloss
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Don't discount the fact that you 'could have' an issue that's internal to the differential. Swap the half-shafts side to side and see if the issue follows the half-shaft.
I thought about that. What could cause this inside the differential? As I mentioned the yoke to the shaft is tight, in, out and back and forth. I would hate to go through all the work and expense to find the problem is the diff. More work more money!
Old 05-02-2024, 07:31 AM
Phobos84
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dentalfloss
I thought about that. What could cause this inside the differential? As I mentioned the yoke to the shaft is tight, in, out and back and forth. I would hate to go through all the work and expense to find the problem is the diff. More work more money!
Like WVZR-1 said, swap the shaft from the other side and retest. Does the problem follow that shaft or does it continue on that side? This will answer all of your questions.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:06 AM
dentalfloss
Racer

Here is a very good post I just read on drive line vibration. You should read down further in it. http://www.corvetteforum.guru/module...post_id=202339

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with half shaft information

Quick Reply: Need help with half shaft information