C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Finally the B&M governor recalibration kit is on my hands...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 11:57 AM
conv90
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Finally the B&M governor recalibration kit is on my hands...

I read all the governor related post on the C4 tech performance forum and 90% of the knowledge necessary is in my head now…. I read the instructions provided in the kit and I can say that they are very poor.
I know I need to try and try and try… try try and try (trial and error…) to go with the desired WOT shift points. (my goal is a real 5000-5100 1-2 and 4900- 5000 2-3 at WOT)
I have also a new 3 3/8” tach to read correct rpm (my tach is off 2000 or so…:eek: ).
Now the questions:
To have access to the governor cap (in order to extract it) I have to disassemble the exhaust system?
The recalibration kit has 6 different color coded springs and 6 different inner weights, not couples of different springs and weights!!! . If the governor assembly is symmetrical (as I think) I need at least some different COUPLES of springs / weights. I’m right? I will start with the change of only 1 lighter inner weight (the one or the other one?? :boxing...) while mantaining stock springs. Doing this is there not the danger to unbalance the governor?
Maybe when I will be with the governor on my hands all will be clear ….I hope…
Your experience with governor and B&M recalibration kit is welcome.
Thanks in advance –Beppe-
Old 02-11-2003, 06:47 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Finally the B&M governor recalibration kit is on my hands... (conv90)

I don't think you need to drop the exhaust but send an IM to Vic'89; he has worked his governor.

Get a digital postal scale, weigh your stock weights and the B&M weights and then go lighter by one notch.

You should be ok by having slightly more weight on one side as the small weights are a small percentage of the total weight.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:35 PM
Vic'89
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Finally the B&M governor recalibration kit is on my hands... (65Z01)

I got your IM's.

First , I only changed the weights and not the springs.

You will need a small scale to measure the weights.

I was making 1 gram changes at a time on the weights.
Also, I did grind the weights to get the perfect shift point.
You could have a 15 gram weight and the next size could be 11 grams. In order to get a 13 gram weight, you will have to grind the 15 gram weight down.

It doesn't take that much work, but I must have made maybe 5 or 6 attempts.

Vic

[Modified by Vic'89, 5:36 PM 2/12/2003]
Old 02-12-2003, 06:24 PM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

Default Re: Finally the B&M governor recalibration kit is on my hands... (Vic'89)

How hard is it to get the govenor cover on and off in wile the tranny is in the car?
Old 02-13-2003, 07:37 AM
Vic'89
Safety Car

Default Re: Finally the B&M governor recalibration kit is on my hands... (dgoodhue)

How hard is it to get the govenor cover on and off in wile the tranny is in the car?
Very easy.

Vic
Old 02-13-2003, 03:33 PM
conv90
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Finally the B&M governor recalibration kit is on my hands... (Vic'89)

Thank you Vic! the week end will be the time to try the mod...
I will let you know the result.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:58 PM
ELEVENS
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Finally the B&M governor recalibration kit is on my hands... (conv90)

I have to remove my exhaust, but I have full headers. The governor cover on my car is practically impossible to R&R without lowering the tranny. My experience is with two different 1990 transmissions, and maybe 4 or 5 different R&Rs. You might be able to get the cover off OK, but then to get it back on without ruining it, well, good luck. There's just no room between the tunnel and the cover to work. Others have reported having an easier time, so I guess it varies between cars.

Good luck, hope it goes well for you.
:cheers:
Old 02-13-2003, 10:30 PM
VetNutJim
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Question boys and girls:

I'm needing to do this to my 700R4 Raptor.

Do the governor springs and weights affect the part ttrottle shift points?

Having to drop the tranny just to experiment with the springs and weights sounds like a real PITA.

Old 02-14-2003, 02:00 AM
drive it
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

Since you have a conv with an x-brace it's a little more fun.....I've added the x-brace to mine plus it has 3 inch front y-pipe.....but it's still doable-try a long bolt from the opposite side slipped in between things to knock the cover off; getting it back on tight when you're all done takes a small pry bar to angle it onto the cover and knock it back on.....using the above I didn't have to drop anything. But I did do some cussin"..... :smash:
Old 02-14-2003, 09:40 AM
Vic'89
Safety Car

Default Re: Finally the B&M governor recalibration kit is on my hands... (VetNutJim)

All,

I never had to drop, remove, or lower anything on my car to pull the governor out. I am running an aftermarket Y-pipe with no precats.

Maybe headers and a big Ypipe might make it more difficult.

Vic
Old 02-14-2003, 12:23 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Finally the B&M governor recalibration kit is on my hands...

That is the one and only good thing I have to say about my former Rossler done 700R4. The thing shifted in "D" at 5800. Don't get me wrong, I like my current tranny...it just kinda sucks shifting(WOT in "D" only shifts at 4400) manually. I'd like to mat it and have it shift itself.

Vic, I might have to get one of those governors and see you sometime.

JD

Get notified of new replies

To Finally the B&M governor recalibration kit is on my hands...

Quick Reply: Finally the B&M governor recalibration kit is on my hands...