C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Absolute cheapest shocks???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 10:38 PM
Raistlin
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Absolute cheapest shocks???

i'm getting ready to have my fx3 shocks rebuilt and i was wondering if anyone had ideas on where i can get the cheapest shocks to keep my car rolling while the originals are being repaired.

edit:
does anyone have opinions on the rebuild? the morocco valving was recommended before. and does anyone have a contact at bilstein?

[Modified by Raistlin, 10:49 PM 2/18/2003]
Old 02-18-2003, 10:51 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Absolute cheapest shocks??? (Raistlin)

i think ecklers sells a set of kybs for around $150.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:06 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: Absolute cheapest shocks??? (VetteNoob)

http://www.tirerack.com

129.00 a set for KYB's.

I have them. They ain't bad at all.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:06 AM
tuband
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran

:iagree:

I put a set of KYBs on my '94 almost 3 years ago (with plans to have the Bilsteins revalved). Needless to say I'm still running the KYBs including track time at Road Atlanta and they've been a pretty good "bang for the buck".

I believe I got mine from Summit for $30 each.

Old 02-19-2003, 02:47 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm getting ready to have my fx3 shocks rebuilt and i was wondering if anyone had ideas on where i can get the cheapest shocks to keep my car rolling while the originals are being repaired.

edit:
does anyone have opinions on the rebuild? the morocco valving was recommended before. and does anyone have a contact at bilstein?
Just go to autozone buy some shocks and return them in the 30 day windw or whatever :skep:

As far as shipping the shocks to Bilstein

Bilstein Repair Dept.
14102 Stowe Dr
Poway, CA 92064

Make sure you enclose your contact info so they can get ahold of you to verify what you need done and also charges incurred durring the repair.

Go ahead and get hte Morocca revalve, I've done it and have recomended it to others and htey have been satisfied as well.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:15 AM
gtsyellow
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Absolute cheapest shocks??? (Jeffvette)

edit:

Just go to autozone buy some shocks and return them in the 30 day windw or whatever :skep:

As far as shipping the shocks to Bilstein

Bilstein Repair Dept.
14102 Stowe Dr
Poway, CA 92064

Make sure you enclose your contact info so they can get ahold of you to verify what you need done and also charges incurred durring the repair.

Go ahead and get the Morocca revalve, I've done it and have recomended it to others and they have been satisfied as well.
:withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid:
Old 02-19-2003, 07:59 AM
NUckINg FuTS
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Absolute cheapest shocks??? (gtsyellow)

Go to autozone. They have Red Ryder gas shocks for your car for $9.99 each, no kidding! :eek: :eek:
Old 02-19-2003, 09:26 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Contact Bilstein at 1-800-537-1085 Talk to Bill Hindorf. I think the morocco valving is an autocross/track setup. I would think that would make them pretty stiff especially if you are thinking about changing the controller too. The standard revalve should only take a few weeks to do and the price is good at around $55 each.

Let us know how they turn out. :steering:
Old 02-19-2003, 01:08 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Default Re: Absolute cheapest shocks??? (c4cruiser)

Contact Bilstein at 1-800-537-1085 Talk to Bill Hindorf. I think the morocco valving is an autocross/track setup. I would think that would make them pretty stiff especially if you are thinking about changing the controller too. The standard revalve should only take a few weeks to do and the price is good at around $55 each.

Let us know how they turn out. :steering:

THe controller is a worhtless upgrade, unless you do alot of track events, auto-X and drag racing. It gets expensive getting programed chips to work.

Problem with the standard rebuild is usually you have one or two shocks that have blown rods, and then the charge goes to 100 per shock.

And contacting Bill is not necessary. It's Jack French who is in charge of the rebuild and Raul who does the work.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:32 PM
Raistlin
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Absolute cheapest shocks??? (Jeffvette)

JeffVette, yes, you were the one who originally reccomended the morocco valving to me.

NuckingFuts, thanks for the heads up. $10 is what I was looking for!!

Everyone, thanks for your input. I plan on using my vette for track events, which is why i want the stiffer valving. I figure i can make the most of my FX3, as now i just leave it in the stiffest setting. I've read the re-valve will make the new softest setting like the old hardest setting, sounds right to me. Also there is a set for sale off a 96 grand sport. their description (no brake dive) sounds like what i'm looking for.

thanks,
steve
Old 03-04-2003, 05:21 PM
Davemc1963-87conv
Racer

Raistlin, If you get the $10 shocks fitted, care to tell us if they are any good or not ? Might be the biggest bargain of the century :hurray: :steering:
Old 03-04-2003, 06:10 PM
Mervz
Race Director

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: Absolute cheapest shocks??? (Davemc1963-87conv)

I talked to Jack, and he was really nice! :cheers:

He did make 100% sure that i knew what i was getting myself into when i said i wanted the Morrocca valving though. He described it as "it will rattle your teeth on the performance setting". SOUNDS GOOD TO ME! :cheers: :D
Old 03-04-2003, 07:34 PM
Raistlin
Burning Brakes

Raistlin, If you get the $10 shocks fitted, care to tell us if they are any good or not ? Might be the biggest bargain of the century :hurray: :steering:
I would love to, but fortunately I'm now in the position to be able to have my car sit undriveable for however long it takes Bilstein to fix my shocks. While it's down I'm also going to lower it, add the full poly-urethane bushing kit, and fix my intake leak / port the intake.

Mervz, I can't wait to "rattle my teeth" around Watkins Glen in May!!
Old 03-05-2003, 02:05 AM
skidmark
Instructor

I just replaced my origional non fx3 Bilsteins (42,000 mi) on my 89 coupe. You can have them if you want them. I did a little damage to the top of the fronts with vice grips but they should be ok.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:37 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Default Re: Absolute cheapest shocks??? (skidmark)

I just replaced my origional non fx3 Bilsteins (42,000 mi) on my 89 coupe. You can have them if you want them. I did a little damage to the top of the fronts with vice grips but they should be ok.
Guys we ought to put these shocks in permament rotation. Bilstein will take 3-4 weeks for the repai, including shipping time. If you need your vehicle, just pay shipping for these shocks, and when the nxt person needs them, just ship them out to them and so on.

Old 03-05-2003, 05:30 AM
jtfrog
Racer

Napa you can get their sensa track gas shock for 27.95
Old 03-05-2003, 08:32 AM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why would you want to skimp on the performance of the car? While I agree that they are fairly expensive to rebuild $400 if rods need rebuilding, why do things the cheap way? That's like trying to find parts for the vette at job lot. :nonod: :confused: I ADDED the system to my car and it enhanced the entire ride of the car. You driving a technically advanced car for performance and now you want to give it a handicap? A solution long term if you keep the car is find a complete set of shocks as spares (salvage yard usually lets them go very cheap especially in poor condition) and have them rebuilt so when its time have they can replace the worn ones on the car. Send the olds ones to be rebuilt for $50, chances are you won't blow the rods every time. This way you'll always have the best of the best at hand. JMHO

Kitt

Get notified of new replies

To Absolute cheapest shocks???

Old 03-05-2003, 06:53 PM
Davemc1963-87conv
Racer

Default Re: Absolute cheapest shocks??? (kittmaster)

Kittmaster, The old addage "You get what you pay for" is usually a pretty good guide. However, sometimes a product comes up that is cheap, works great and is manufactured by a company that mass produces things.
I thought that this could be one of those products. Just because some thing is cheap, dosn't always mean it is junk!
A lot of corvette only products are overpriced mainly due to it being a niche market, others because some people will pay silly prices for a brandname(Edelbrock shocks @ over $500 a set spring to mind)
The other side of the coin is that not everyone has the $$$ to buy the best or most expensive product on the market. There are a lot of Corvette enthusiasts who have to balance their budget to keep their cars on the road,
I fancy the Edelbrock shocks, but quite frankly I am not prepared to pay over $500 for four shocks. However if the $10 shocks proved to be a good performer and a bargain, I wouldn't hesitate to give them a try, "cheap" Brandname or not. They can't be much worse than the AC Delcos fitted at the moment.
:seeya
Old 03-05-2003, 07:20 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While your point is valid, I must ask, if you bought a corvette and can't support it properly for maintainance then why bother owning a vette. And I don't mean you personally I'm talking in general. Its like buying a house, big deal if you buy one, if you can't support fixing it, taxes, whatever, then you don't have any business buying one same holds true for a vette. VETTES are not NECESSITIES, they are toys and nothing more. You can get a realiable car A LOT cheaper than even a POS vette any day of the week. $400 for adjustable shocks is not a big deal when you compare what those same people will spend in mods. The word cheap and vette don't belong in the same sentence JMHO. Others may agree or disagree but this is position on this topic. :cheers:

Kitt
Old 03-06-2003, 12:58 AM
Raistlin
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Absolute cheapest shocks??? (kittmaster)

Cheap was the point of my topic. I guess you didn't read any of the posts, because I was looking for a cheap shock to fit for maybe FOUR WEEKS. Why should I spend $130+ for shocks that are only going to be on my car while my FX3's are at Bilstein being revalved? $40 is the price I was looking for. I would have made my own out of pcv tubing if I thought I could do it cheaper. Again, this was only TEMPORARY to keep my car drivable while my shocks are being revalved.

Yes, the $9350 I spent on my car could have bought me a something newer, something more reliable. Or, I could have spent my student loans on maintaining my '91 Eagle Talon TSI AWD. But I didn't. I wanted a sports car I can beat on everyday and take to the track on the weekends. Yes, I'm very hard on car. Every day. Upshift/downshift with out the clutch? Why not! Free rev and dump the clutch for some 40mph burnouts? You bet! Making a turn? Give it half throttle in second gear to get the tail out, counter steer and drift through it. Seems to run bettter before fully warming up? Then full throttle through 4 gears is called for.

No, I don't have enough money to maintain my car. I just graduated and have not found a job (which is why I don't need to drive my car while the shocks are being done). I make do with what I have and I qualify my repairs by priority. Some things can wait till I have more money in my pocket. But you know what? I own a very reliable Corvette with 120+k miles on it. I've been beating on it for almost 2 years now, and I can tell you it's built like a tank. Also... it's a Corvette, the roof comes off, it's a Corvette, it's got a small block chevy, it's a Corvette, it does kissing awesome burnouts!, it's a Corvette, it's at home equally on the street, the dragstrip and the race course, and, oh yeah, it's a Corvette!!

:rant:

[Modified by Raistlin, 1:08 AM 3/6/2003]

Quick Reply: Absolute cheapest shocks???