C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dealer says injectors aren't self cleaning... ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 08:22 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Dealer says injectors aren't self cleaning... ??

Is he lying? I was always told they are. I had the vette in for a check up because i was losing coolant and saw some hanging off of the radiator shrowd .. they didn't find anything, and then he said - oh, by the way you need to get the injectors fully cleaned on that thing. Carbon build up starts effecting the injectors around this many miles (only 48k.... ). Then he also said he recommends an engine flush to clean the piston rings... WTF???

I smell a BIG FAT LIAR HERE! I though injectors were self cleaning, my engine with 130k miles on it needed a flush, not my nice clean LT4 with 48k on it, and where the hell is my coolant going then ?? I seriously doubt there is a blown headgasket.

[Modified by GlockLT4, 7:22 PM 2/19/2003]
Old 02-19-2003, 08:29 PM
Zix
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Dealer says injectors aren't self cleaning... ?? (GlockLT4)

I've never heard of a "self-cleaning" injector :confused:
Old 02-19-2003, 08:51 PM
85vetteguy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I read somewhere that they were self cleaning after a certain year and not to put cleaner in gas. I wish I could remember where I saw it. As far as getting the piston rings flushed in your car w/48k $ound$ like a rip-off. If that oil has been changed w/ mobile one regularly, that should not be necessary. JMHO but I would not go back there. Guy
Old 02-19-2003, 08:56 PM
_freakmonkeydogboy_
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where did you take it? :confused:
Old 02-19-2003, 09:30 PM
93LT1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the dealer is trying to meet his quota using your walet. I've heard
the later C4 injectors were designed not to clog. Never heard about it being self cleaning. I would focus on cleaning the throttle body.
Hank
Old 02-19-2003, 09:44 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

run a can of BG Products 44K through the tank. life will be grand.

as for carbon build up? I have heard of that as being a problem in newer motors. however, carbon is a result combustion, so, with the injector outside the combustion chamber, how does it get carboned up? sounds like a crock to me.

their idea of an engine flush is seafoam.

And I would bet money the leak is a weapy hose.

[Modified by bogus, 9:45 PM 2/19/2003]
Old 02-19-2003, 10:35 PM
ZAD54
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Dealer says injectors aren't self cleaning... ?? (bogus)

Let see if I can remember this right. They changed from Bosch to Multec injectors in 1989 I believe because the pintle on the earlier injectors would get carbon build up and cause the inj. to stay open and leak. The newer injectors have a disc that rotates and isn't as likely to get carbon build up and thus self cleaning when it opens and closes. And I've also heard that since the coil is inside on the newer inj; and since it used the fuel to cool the coil, that cleaner is a no-no because it can break down the coil.

[Modified by ZAD54, 11:18 PM 2/20/2003]
Old 02-19-2003, 10:53 PM
kittmaster
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would just throw some stuff in the tank yourself. I used a full bottle of red line fuel injector cleaner with a full tank of gas from pep boys and that will last for 100k miles. Save the money for other mods.

Kitt
Old 02-19-2003, 11:04 PM
GusBustamanteJr
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Dealer says injectors aren't self cleaning... ?? (kittmaster)

GM Top End cleaner.

Spray it through your TB with the engine running. Let it idle for around 20 minutes. Then go out and run it.

Works great.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:24 PM
grapeknutz
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

If the engine idle is smooth I wouldn't worry, the repair shop seem to think you are a easy mark. It's easy labor and high profit return.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:32 AM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

When I took mine to the dealer right after purchase for a last check before to warranty ran out they gave me the induction cleaning lecture. They hook the car up to some machine and run some cleaner through it with the engine running for 90 min and then change the oil ($130). I went for it cause my wifes' accord had to have the ports in her plenum reamed out from being clogged completely. Check engine light came on. After it was done, there was no real difference in the way either car ran. BTW her car had 140k, mine 40k at the time. I was likeley taken for $130 in the end.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:07 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Default Re: Dealer says injectors aren't self cleaning... ?? (bogus)

as for carbon build up? I have heard of that as being a problem in newer motors. however, carbon is a result combustion, so, with the injector outside the combustion chamber, how does it get carboned up? sounds like a crock to me.

their idea of an engine flush is seafoam.

And I would bet money the leak is a weapy hose.

[Modified by bogus, 9:45 PM 2/19/2003]
Yeah, no combustion carbon will get into the injectors considering where they are ... :crazy:

yep, flush is probably sea foam. I think i'll take my chances without it! If the '94 lasted 134k miles, that's fine with me... this one should last as long - and i will have torn it down by then anyway hahah. :D
Old 02-20-2003, 02:08 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

I would just throw some stuff in the tank yourself. I used a full bottle of red line fuel injector cleaner with a full tank of gas from pep boys and that will last for 100k miles. Save the money for other mods.

Kitt
I only use Chevron Techron ... :D
Old 02-20-2003, 02:09 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Default Re: Dealer says injectors aren't self cleaning... ?? (GusBustamanteJr)

GM Top End cleaner.

Spray it through your TB with the engine running. Let it idle for around 20 minutes. Then go out and run it.

Works great.
yeah, that'll clean the tb, intake, etc.... but the heads are spotless - doesn't need it. This guy is full of BS at the dealer.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:10 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Default Re: Dealer says injectors aren't self cleaning... ?? (grapeknutz)

If the engine idle is smooth I wouldn't worry, the repair shop seem to think you are a easy mark. It's easy labor and high profit return.
yeah, i mentioned that i had a warranty when it came to the radiator.. so i bet they were trying to play on that - plus i'm young (21) so they figured i didn't know much .... i think after I told the guy i rebuilt my '94 into a 383 stroker doing all my own programming and everything he started to shut up :D :lol: :lol:
Old 02-20-2003, 02:11 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Default Re: Dealer says injectors aren't self cleaning... ?? (C4DC)

When I took mine to the dealer right after purchase for a last check before to warranty ran out they gave me the induction cleaning lecture. They hook the car up to some machine and run some cleaner through it with the engine running for 90 min and then change the oil ($130). I went for it cause my wifes' accord had to have the ports in her plenum reamed out from being clogged completely. Check engine light came on. After it was done, there was no real difference in the way either car ran. BTW her car had 140k, mine 40k at the time. I was likeley taken for $130 in the end.
yup, cuz my '94 with 130k on it ran fine until i wore down a piston skirt :(
Old 02-20-2003, 09:20 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Kitt
I wouldn't do that.

General Motors issued a technical service bulletin (#913126E) cautioning service technicians not to clean its "Multec" fuel injectors. The GM bulletin said cleaners containing methanol or other strong solvents may damage the injector’s coil wire insulation and accelerate wear in the injector ball and seat. The bulletin also said cleaning is usually no value with this style of injector

The original Multec 1 injector was used from 1985 through 1999. In this injector design, the electrical coil was exposed to the fuel that passed through the injector. The fuel acted as a coolant for the coil. Some high alcohol content fuels and cleaners could erode the insulation on the coils, leading to a failure.To address the condition, the Multec 2 injector was introduced in1999. Its design is much different from the Multec 1 in that the internal coil is separated from the fuel that is passing through the injector. This eliminates coil shorting due to insulation erosion.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer says injectors aren't self cleaning... ??

Old 02-20-2003, 10:21 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Dealer says injectors aren't self cleaning... ?? (ZAD54)

Let see if I can remember this right. They changed from Bosch to Motec injectors in 1989 I believe because the pittle on the earlier injectors would get carbon build up and cause the inj. to stay open and leak. The newer injectors have a disc that rotates and isn't as likely to get carbon build up and thus self cleaning when it opens and closes. And I've also heard that since the coil is inside on the newer inj; and since it used the fuel to cool the coil, that cleaner is a no-no because it can break down the coil.
This is what I have read too.

However, it should be pointed out, that the screen/filter on where the fuel enters the top of the injector can become plugged.
With the Multec injectors, the manual says not to put any additives in the fuel, because this can cause a breakdown of the coil insulation.

I had an '86 Ford Ranger with the "pintle" style injectors and they definitely formed deposits on the pintle -- made a big difference when I replaced them.
However, the disc style Multec injectors are supposed to stay clean due to the disc rotating and the fact that they are recessed into the injector away from the intake gasses.

Tom Piper
Old 02-20-2003, 10:47 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Default Re: Dealer says injectors aren't self cleaning... ?? (Tom Piper)

Let see if I can remember this right. They changed from Bosch to Motec injectors in 1989 I believe because the pittle on the earlier injectors would get carbon build up and cause the inj. to stay open and leak. The newer injectors have a disc that rotates and isn't as likely to get carbon build up and thus self cleaning when it opens and closes. And I've also heard that since the coil is inside on the newer inj; and since it used the fuel to cool the coil, that cleaner is a no-no because it can break down the coil.

This is what I have read too.

However, it should be pointed out, that the screen/filter on where the fuel enters the top of the injector can become plugged.
With the Multec injectors, the manual says not to put any additives in the fuel, because this can cause a breakdown of the coil insulation.

I had an '86 Ford Ranger with the "pintle" style injectors and they definitely formed deposits on the pintle -- made a big difference when I replaced them.
However, the disc style Multec injectors are supposed to stay clean due to the disc rotating and the fact that they are recessed into the injector away from the intake gasses.

Tom Piper
haha, i called the dealer again and talked with the guy i spoke with and asked what style injectors - he hesitated and then gave a little chuckle and said i don't know for sure - all i know is injectors spray fuel into the combustion chamber, you'll have to talk to the parts guy to find out.

Ok- TWO things wrong there. First, he doesn't know the vehicle. If you don't know the vehicle, you have a set of service manuals for every GM car at every dealer.... GO LOOK IT UP! It's obvious that i know corvettes.

Second, injectors don't spray fuel into the combustion chamber - they atomize fuel into the air in the intake which then goes into the cylinder after passing through the valves..... i don't like this guy - not going back to him. Something about me being half his age and knowing multiples x's the knowledge about cars doesn't seem right considering he works at a dealer.... :rolleyes:

[Modified by GlockLT4, 9:48 AM 2/20/2003]
Old 02-20-2003, 12:32 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Default Re: Injector cleaner??? (lani's 93)

I don't think you have anything to worry about right off... with more useage you will wear them down more... so if you've used cleaner a few times, don't worry about it, just stop doing so. Chevron Techron is ok to use if you insist on using something.

Quick Reply: Dealer says injectors aren't self cleaning... ??