C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rack And pinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 02:23 AM
jtfrog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rack And pinion

Getting ready to install new rack, How2 do you make sure it is centered before hooking it up
Old 02-25-2003, 11:08 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Default Re: Rack And pinion (jtfrog)

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but these instructions are for Rack Bearing Preload: Make adjustment with front wheels raised, and steering wheel centered. Check returnability of the steering wheel to center after adjustment. Loosen adjuster plug lock nut and turn adjuster plug clockwise until it bottoms in gear assembly, then back off 50 to 70 degrees (about one flat). Then lock nut to adjuster plug.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:28 AM
jtfrog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure, i heard that when people change their rack that the steering wheel is no longer centered and to adjust the tie rod ends to fix this. also they say to center the rac i asume frome lock to lock before instalation :confused: :confused:
Old 02-25-2003, 11:40 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

The data provided was the only adjustment noted in the GM manual, and it referred to a drawing of the rack and pinion. I had hopes that the info would be more meaningful to you than it was to me. Maybe some member who has experienced this installation will prolvide some insight. My other manuals don't even mention a centering requirement.

Get notified of new replies

To Rack And pinion

Quick Reply: Rack And pinion