C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cooling Fan Relay

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 11:50 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 540 Likes on 348 Posts

Default Cooling Fan Relay

Hello to everyone. This is my first post and my first Corvette, so please bear with me. I am restoring a 1987 coupe and have just completed the engine. I have replaced all sensors and have tried to get the cooling fan relay to turn on by grounding the wire on the sensor behind the dipstick on the right head. According to Haynes book, this wire is a temperature override to the ECM. The fan does come on by the ECM. This wire is shown as tapped into the green-white stripe wire going from the ECM to the fan relay. Does anyone know the actual location where this wire is spliced in? Any help much appreicated.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:07 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Cooling Fan Relay (arbee)

The sensor on the right side of the engine is the temperature sender for the cluster temperature gauge only. On the left side of the engine between cylinders 1 and 3 is a thermostatic switch that grounds at 238 F and if you ground the wire on it, the auxiliary fan in front of the radiator will turn on.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:17 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Cooling Fan Relay (jfb)

Thanks for the reply JFB but my car has no aux. cooling fan and there is no sensor between the 1 and 3. According to my manual, the temperature unit for the cluster is in front of the intake manifold beside the cold start sensor and the water supply pipe to the throttle body.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:23 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The temperature sensor on the front of the engine under the MAF supplies coolant temperature info only to the ECM and the ECM turns on the fan at 228 F. You can force the fan on by putting a toggle switch on the green/white wire on the fan relay to ground. When grounding the grn/wh wire , the fan relay coil comes on and the fan runs. My 87 has the aux fan.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:31 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Cooling Fan Relay (jfb)

Thanks for the info JFB. The manual switch was my next question. I don't like the thought of those high temps in stop and go traffic. Don't know why my car never had the aux. fan. Production date maybe(Sept. '86)
Old 02-25-2003, 06:59 PM
flyersfan1088
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a separate option. Also came standard with Z51 optioned cars

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling Fan Relay

Quick Reply: Cooling Fan Relay