C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Could cold start injector be causing idle problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 03:42 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Could cold start injector be causing idle problems?

After giving up and just "living with" an intermittent freaky idle on my '86, I'm wondering about the cold start injector. If the injector opens intermittently and bleeds fuel into the combustion chamber, wouldn't that cause a higher than normal idle? Could I bypass the cold start injector somehow? Unplugging it would probably only work if it is somehow getting a false signal due to a bad sensor or ECM. Yes, I have checked all of the usual causes such as vaccum leaks, AIC ant TPS sensor voltages, TB bushings, etc, etc. I also tried replacing the TB and its sensors with a known good one from another car with no improvement. Sometimes the car idles smoothly at 700 RPM and other times it stays at 1300 or 1000 or 8-900. there are no codes or "check engine" light. Am I troubleshooting in the right direction or is there a reason why the cold start would not be suspected of causing these problems?
Old 02-25-2003, 04:13 PM
mk842766
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Could cold start injector be causing idle problems? (vetracer)

Sounds more like a vaccum leak to me....but I have my cold start blocked off at the fuel rail, and disconnected...seems to start fine...BTW I have an 85... :grouphug:
Old 02-25-2003, 05:38 PM
mash557
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Could cold start injector be causing idle problems? (vetracer)

The cold start injector has no input from the ECM. The only control for it is a switch in the front of the intake manifold that activates the CSI for a set period if the engine coolant temp is below a set temperature. That said, it could still be leaking.

Get notified of new replies

To Could cold start injector be causing idle problems?

Quick Reply: Could cold start injector be causing idle problems?