C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Pics of my Centerforce dual friction. Is it O.K.?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 11:05 PM
sturtzy85L98
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of my Centerforce dual friction. Is it O.K.?

I pulled my cluth apart today. It has 450 miles on it now, and it started making a very loud howling noise. The flywheel was shimmed because the place that did the work said there was not enough material left after resurfacing it. It was quiet for the first 350-400 miles and then began to make a constant howling sound when the car was moving.

The flywheel appears to have small burn marks all around it. The holding surface on the press plate looks similar to the flywheel. The clutch has spots that appear to be glazed, but not too bad.

1) How do I find out if the shim behind the flywheel allowed for the proper thickness for the flywheel?

2) If the flywheel was not thick enough, would the clutch slip causing the burn marks and glazing of the clutch?

3) Do my parts look O.K.? Should I just get a new flywheel? If so, what kind?

4) How do I tell if I need a 168 or 153 tooth flywheel? (other than counting)

Pics are not great, but you can see what I'm talking about.

The Clutch

The Flywheel

Pressure Plate

Sturtzy

[Modified by sturtzy85L98, 10:10 PM 4/6/2003]
Old 04-06-2003, 11:13 PM
Ray383
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Pics of my Centerforce dual friction. Is it O.K.? (sturtzy85L98)

That clutch disk is done. I hope you weren't thinking about using it. The pressure plate can be resurfaced (I use scotch brite pads on a drill) You should only have to skuff it to a dull finish. I would also get a new flywheel. They are pretty cheap. As for the teeth, I'm not sure.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:14 PM
The Green Rocket
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Constant howling noise when moving, and I would presume when in neutral with your foot off the clutch pedal as well? - then I would suspect the t/o bearing. If on the other hand it makes no noise when not moving, regardless of your foot being on the clutch pedal or not, then that would mean your transmission is damaged. While doing burnouts and drag racing did you ever miss a shift badly?

Good luck, from the pics it all looks toasted.

Thomas
Old 04-06-2003, 11:30 PM
sturtzy85L98
Advanced

Default Re: Pics of my Centerforce dual friction. Is it O.K.? (The Green Rocket)

What would cause this to happen? The disk and press plate are Centerforce dual friction and only have 450 miles on them. The throwout bearing is also Centerforce and bought new at the same time.

I am afraid that the flywheel was not thick enough causing the disk and other parts to be burnt by not fully engaging the clutch. Is this possible? How do I measure the flywheel to check for correct thickness?

Sturtzy
Old 04-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Ray383
Racer

Default Re: Pics of my Centerforce dual friction. Is it O.K.? (The Green Rocket)

Constant howling noise when moving, and I would presume when in neutral with your foot off the clutch pedal as well? - then I would suspect the t/o bearing. If on the other hand it makes no noise when not moving, regardless of your foot being on the clutch pedal or not, then that would mean your transmission is damaged. While doing burnouts and drag racing did you ever miss a shift badly?

Good luck, from the pics it all looks toasted.

Thomas
I don't think the tranny or the Throw out were the problem. The clutch was slipping badly enough to cause those heat marks in 450 miles, and I'm sure it didn't happen silently. I have and 85 with the mods in my sign. Last year I replaced the clutch with a stock unit and had the flywheel resurfaced. 750 miles later the clutch was so bad the car wouldn't move. My pressure plate, disk, and flywheel were much worse than the ones in the pics. I replaced the clutch with a centerforce df unit and a new flywheel (flywheel was $150 from jegs I think) I beat the hell out of my car and the clutch grabs great.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:34 PM
sturtzy85L98
Advanced

Default Re: Pics of my Centerforce dual friction. Is it O.K.? (Ray383)

These pics are of a Centerforce dual friction clutch and pressure plate. What might cause this?

Sturtzy
Old 04-06-2003, 11:39 PM
Ray383
Racer

Don't forget a new pilot bearing when you put it back together. I wouldn't bother to measure the flywheel. At $150 a new one is good insurance. You'll probably have to spend $50-$75 to resurface the old one AGAIN anyway. IMHO its not worth saving $75-$100 and take the chance of redoing it again in another 450 miles. Unless you enjoy it that much! :lolg:
Old 04-06-2003, 11:47 PM
Ray383
Racer

Is that the warranty in the first pic? ( the orange paper in the bottom left corner)
Old 04-06-2003, 11:50 PM
sturtzy85L98
Advanced

I think I will replace it Ray. Do you think the old flywheel is the problem. The only reason I care is because I paid AAMCO trans. to put in the new clutch and they warranty their work. When I first picked up the car about a month ago, the pilot bushing fell out within 5 miles. Then they had my car for another week to press in a new one.

Then when I got the car home the check engine light came on. I chased probs and changed sensors for a week or so to find out that the idiots did not put 2 ground wires back on the bellhousing.

I did not want these idiots tearing it apart again, so I did it myself. If the flywheel which they resurfaced and shimmed is the prob, I will go above the manager's head and try to get some of my money back.

They charged me nearly $400 and ruined my new clutch.

So it sounds like I need to buy a new disk, flywheel and clean up the press plate.

Sturtzy

Don't take your car to AAMCO transmissions!!!!
Old 04-06-2003, 11:55 PM
sturtzy85L98
Advanced

The orange paper is the instructions for the throwout bearing.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:04 AM
Ray383
Racer

Like I said, I replaced my flywheel and the problem went away. Who knows how many times the previous owner/owners have resurfaced it. Get a new one, cheaper to do it right than to do it again. I hope I've helped
Old 04-07-2003, 12:14 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

How much material did they take off of the flywheel originally? I had a shop resurface mine for $35 and then I installed the same clutch. 13k miles later I still love it and its been quiet and smooth since day one.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:30 AM
sturtzy85L98
Advanced

Default Re: Pics of my Centerforce dual friction. Is it O.K.? (scorp508)

They never told me Scorp. When I picked up the car they told me they had to shim it.

How many teeth on my 85's flywheel?
What brand should I get?

Thanks

Sturtzy
Old 04-07-2003, 01:52 AM
sturtzy85L98
Advanced

Well I just ordered a new dual friction press plate and disk as they do not sell the dual friction disk seperately per Jegs. I also ordered a new Hayes steel flywheel. $555 down the drain.

Wish me luck.

Sturtzy
Old 04-07-2003, 08:18 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

153 tooth flywheel

Get notified of new replies

To Pics of my Centerforce dual friction. Is it O.K.?

Quick Reply: Pics of my Centerforce dual friction. Is it O.K.?