C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Idle problems. EGR?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 08:49 PM
86Pacecar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Idle problems. EGR? updated 4-21-03

After doing the intake gaskets on my 86 Vert I'm having problems with my idle. I have replaced plug, wires, cap, rotor and coil less than 100 miles before the intake job. Ran fine before I did this. When started from cold it fires up right away and runs rough, as it warms up it idles a little better. I have done all the idle settings and TPS checks to no avail. When I do the IAC reset, I hear the IAC clicking away for about 30 seconds so I'm assuming that it is good. I know I have a bad EGR temp sensor so I disconnected it to avoid setting the 32 code after start up. I've checked for vacuum leaks and found none.(going to try the starting fluid way to double check)
Could I have a bad EGR stuck partially open causing a rough idle. From my understanding of the EGR system the EGR should be closed at idle, if so should my EGR tube be getting warm at all during idle. I've also noticed that upon startup that the car is running rich and the plugs have a small amount of black on them. Thanks for helping out, I've read alot of archived info on this but still having problems. :confused:

[Modified by 86Pacecar, 7:42 PM 4/21/2003]
Old 04-19-2003, 09:08 PM
Hall1836
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Idle problems. EGR? (86Pacecar)

Not a response to your question, but I'm thinking of doing my intake gaskets because I have oil on the top of the manifold , both sides. How much of a job is it compared to removing a carbed manifold? What had to be removed to get to the manifold bolts? Does the fuel rails etc have to be removed? 1985 coupe. Thanks
Old 04-19-2003, 10:25 PM
Rynda
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Idle problems. EGR? (Hall1836)

According to the manual a leaking EGR can also cause cold start problems, as in the car starts then dies.
I'm also looking at this as possibly my hot restart problem, it starts and runs a few seconds, then dies and is a bear to get running again (time and patientce is all that works). I took my EGR valve off and was able to suck air through it (tatses funny), new one is on order. I don't know if it is supposed to leak at all, I would suspect not. Cleanig it did not seem to help.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:50 PM
86Pacecar
Burning Brakes

Gotta get a new temp sensor so I might as well get a new EGR and IAC as the car has 100k on it and not sure when they were replaced last if at all. Anyone else got any feedback. Thanks
Old 04-20-2003, 08:19 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I have an EGR test procedure on my site.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:00 PM
86Pacecar
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Idle problems. EGR? (65Z01)

Thanks 65Z01 I've been to your site before, very useful info. Have you ever seen a EGR partilly stuck open at idle causing problems. My EGR tube does not get very hot at idle but it does warm up some. I have pulled and plugged to vac tube going to the EGR with no improvement at idle.
Thanks for the responces guys. :)
Old 04-21-2003, 12:52 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Unfortualtely I had my EGR replaced by a Chevy dealer shortly after I got my Vette so didn't get the chance to see in in person; since then it hasn't given me any problems.

You could try pulling the EGR pipe and plugging the opening into the intake & exhaust to see if the idle settles down.

If you didn't pull the EGR valve when you had the intake off I'd go back over all the work done for the cause.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:39 PM
86Pacecar
Burning Brakes

After reading just about every post that I could find on idle problems I found my problem. TIMING! My balancer has slipped a little causing me to retard the timing on my car when I thought it was actually at 6 BTC with the timing wire disconnected. It would idle slightly better with the wire disconnected so I took a chance and set the timing by ear. (Thank you Mr. Fuller, my high school auto shop teacher. 2 hours a day sure paid off.) ;) Been a long time sice I had to do that on my old 74 Monte Carlo. It is not spot on yet but it is close. Now to replaced the balancer. Runs better now and lots of power. :party:
Old 04-21-2003, 08:59 PM
tworottiedogs
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TIMING! My balancer has slipped a little causing me to retard the timing on my car when I thought it was actually at 6 BTC with the timing wire disconnected. It would idle slightly better with the wire disconnected so I took a chance and set the timing by ear. ( Now to replaced the balancer. Runs better now and lots of power. :party:
No freakin' way, same symptoms, same car, same problem and almost all on the same day........

I have the pullies off and am trying to find a puller for the balancer. Looks like fun. Not much room to fit the puller on there with the big frame rail just in front of it. I ordered a 7" balancer but I just measured mine and it came in at 6 3/4. The shop is the one the recommended this on for the vette: http://www.carshopinc.com/product.shtml

The guy seemed to know what he was talking about but I will see soon enough. I also order the march pulley kit. I figured that while I am in there, I might as well swap them too. :withstupid:
Old 04-21-2003, 09:43 PM
86Pacecar
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Idle problems. EGR? (tworottiedogs)

Hey tworottiedogs let me know if you get a puller in there and what you run into for tricks or problems. Is yours an 86 too. Wait, I think I read some of your posts, you must have an 86. :thumbs:
Old 04-22-2003, 05:51 PM
tworottiedogs
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got it off. Not too bad but not perfect. The steering rack does indead have a loop for the puller to go through but the swaybar kept me from being able to put a socket on there. I would think that the 140kmiles has caused my motor mounts to sag which would cause that interferance problem. I was able to access the puller with a 3/4 open wrench from underneath, just between the rack and the swaybar. The other minor problem wa that the puller came with 3/8th standard thread but the balancer needed 3/8th fine. Bought those and it came off easy. I have some oil and grime behind the balancer so I might do the front main seal while I am in there.

I tried to take some pictures but the batteries were dead.

The difference between the timing mark and the center key on the balancer is about 60 degrees. Where should it have been? I have heard 10 degrees. Is that true?
good luck.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:04 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have an EGR :D :jester

Get notified of new replies

To Idle problems. EGR?

Quick Reply: Idle problems. EGR?