C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ZF6 Input Bearing Question??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 06:25 PM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default ZF6 Input Bearing Question??

I think I may have a bad input shaft bearing on my ZF 6-speed. Can I remove the input shaft bearing retainer and pull the input shaft and bearing out of the transmission to check it? Or do I need to completely disassemble the transmission to check/change the bearing which probably means shipping it off for a pesky input bearing?

Some transmissions I worked on allow you to pull the input shaft/bearing out the front of the case without breaking the case down. Others will not allow this. What about the ZF6??? Has anyone out there done it?

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:03 PM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: ZF6 Input Bearing Question?? (Atok)

You probably already know it, but ask Bill. Really cool guy.
http://www.zfdoc.com/techinfo.htm

Old 04-23-2003, 10:31 AM
devilfish
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: ZF6 Input Bearing Question?? (89 Paul in Cal)

why do you think its broken?
Old 04-23-2003, 06:22 PM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: ZF6 Input Bearing Question?? (devilfish)

I have a "whirly" sound in neutral. Definitely not the release bearing. Since I'm changing the clutch I thought it would be nice to check the input shaft bearing.

I called Rockland Standard Gear (ZF recommended rebuilders) and spoke with George about it today. He told me the sound is normal, due to the "positive gear contact". I should not worry about it and just put the tranny back in. He said all ZF S6-40's whine to some degree. If it had a bad bearing it would be louder than the radio in the car. He was pretty convincing, although others have told me it's not normal??? If it is normal then so be it. If it isn't normal I would like to get it fixed now. Any tests I can do myself to determine if it's bad would be great.

Get notified of new replies

To ZF6 Input Bearing Question??

Quick Reply: ZF6 Input Bearing Question??