C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need some help with Turn Signal Switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 09:53 AM
MrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some help with Turn Signal Switch

While driving to work this morning, I believe the turn signal switch on my '91 broke. Left signal works fine, but when I push the lever up to signal right, it's just lose. No resistance at all. The lights don't work either. I assume this is a broken switch.
Has anyone ever replaced one of these? or do I have to take it to the dealers because it looks like a big job to change it and it looks like you have to have special tools too.
If I take it to the dealers how much do you think I will have to pay to have it fixed.

Thanks for any help
Jay

Old 04-29-2003, 12:28 PM
edsalinas
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Need some help with Turn Signal Switch (MrJay)

Just did that job, and what a job it was! ! ! ! ! A real PITA. I heard that the dealer will run between $200-$350.

If I had to do it again, I pay the dealer.

Yes, some special tools are required, at least special to me, the typical wheel pullers and another puller/pusher to depress the spring loaded portion of the tilt wheel "stuff".

:smash: :smash: :smash:
Old 04-29-2003, 10:39 PM
VMAX451
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Need some help with Turn Signal Switch (MrJay)

That happened to me, one of the "ears" molded into the switch that the turn signal stalk plugs into sheared off. The "ears" are what operate the actual turn signal mechanism, even though this switch assembly doesn't contain any electrical turn signal components.

It is buried a bit in the column, you will need to disable the airbag, pull the wheel (need a puller), and use a special tool to depress the locking plate retainer ($10 at any auto parts store). I personally thought the job was a p.i.t.a., but it wasn't complicated (just a major p.i.t.a.)

Old 04-30-2003, 01:50 AM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 200 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Re: Need some help with Turn Signal Switch (Vince Ivanc)

I just IMed you back, but for the benefit of others, I had the same problem with my '92. The problem is in the wiper switch, not the turn signal switch. As others have said, a small plastic piece that actuates the turn signal switch breaks.

Get notified of new replies

To Need some help with Turn Signal Switch

Quick Reply: Need some help with Turn Signal Switch