C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 turn signal switch replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 03:52 PM
curtise
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 turn signal switch replacement.

The turn signal switch on my 92 won't cancel from the left position. I would like to replace the switch. How difficult is it to replace this switch? Is there any thing I should know about removing the air bag?

Any help would be appreciated
Old 06-02-2003, 04:03 PM
milehighvette
Advanced

Default Re: 92 turn signal switch replacement. (curtise)

If you have a steering wheel puller and a lock plate remover access to the switch shouldnt be to bad however it is a tedious job. To remove the airbag you need to first disconnect the battery. Then you need to remove the fuse from the panel on the passenger side of the dash. After that the airbag can be removed by removing both of the TX20 or TX-25 (I cant remember which one for sure) screws from the back of the airbag. Here are a couple websites to help with the steering column access.
http://home.t-online.de/home/O_Scholz/steering.html
http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html
Old 06-02-2003, 04:41 PM
curtise
5th Gear

Thanks for the links, they will be very helpful. :)
Old 06-02-2003, 07:58 PM
DocToss
Pro

I just took my steering column down on my 92 and it is not that hard. To get to the turn signal you do not have to go that far. What about the canceling ring behind the lock plate? Could that be bad? Also when you take the column down, go to the dealer and buy a new snap ring for the sir coil (about $2-$3) and a new retaining clip for the lock plate (around $12). I have never been able to reuse mine, I guess they loose their spring after I remove them.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:38 PM
curtise
5th Gear

I am going to take it apart this weekend, I'll check the cancel ring.

thanks for the info.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:41 PM
Kens86
Instructor

Your timing could not have been more perfect! I have an 86 where the steering column started to smoke and the engine died when I made a right turn. I have just bought all new parts for the column and did not know that the buzzer switch was broken until I saw the picture. I had the clip in hand and didn't know where it went. thanks again!!!!

Back to the smoke issue. Can nay one give me a reason why the steering column would smoke? All the parts I removed look good and there are no frayed wires and the column is tight?

I haven't put it back together yet (weekend project)

Am I getting ready to treat the symptom and not the cause? Should I be looking somewhere else? Maybe a loose ground wire? Any help would be appreciated.
The turn signal switch on my 92 won't cancel from the left position. I would like to replace the switch. How difficult is it to replace this switch? Is there any thing I should know about removing the air bag?

Any help would be appreciated
Old 06-02-2003, 09:26 PM
DocToss
Pro

Default Re: 92 turn signal switch replacement. (Kens86)

Curtise, I will be around most of the weekend if I can help. I will check this post and can give you my phone number privately if you need to call for help. It is scarry the first time or so. Tom

Get notified of new replies

To 92 turn signal switch replacement.

Quick Reply: 92 turn signal switch replacement.