C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Starting warm engine with A/C on causes "Check Engine Light"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 07:01 PM
Greg's '88
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting warm engine with A/C on causes "Check Engine Light"?

Now that the A/C in my '88 is working so much better, thanks to the cleaned out evaporator, a new quirk has developed. This problem may have been present for a long time and we just didn't notice because we didn't use the A/C very much.

If the warm engine is started with the A/C set to "Auto" (Electronic Climate Control), the Check Engine Light comes on about 5 to 10 seconds after starting the engine. If I turn the A/C off and then restart the engine, no Check Engine Light. This is very repeatable.

It seems like the A/C compressor is engaged during engine cranking and it prevents the engine from quickly reaching idle speed. Also, the engine is a little harder to start with the A/C set to "Auto".

Has anyone else had this experience? Any suggestions - besides "turn off the A/C before starting the engine"? 8~)

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Greg S. / Canyon Lake, CA.

[Modified by Greg's '88, 4:04 PM 6/16/2003]
Old 06-17-2003, 12:38 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Starting warm engine with A/C on causes "Check Engine Light"? (Greg's '88)

Dash assembly sends a 7 volt signal (electronic air - 12 volt if manual) to the ECM when a/c, bi-level or defrost is requested. ECM then increases IAC counts raising idle to match compressor load. Neither the IAC or the a/c circuit is on the driver circuit that controls the Check Engine Light, so assuming there are no trouble codes, sounds like an ECM fault.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:51 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Starting warm engine with A/C on causes "Check Engine Light"? (SunCr)

Try pulling the codes and see what you get? Not sure how to start troubleshooting this one :confused:
Old 06-17-2003, 02:45 PM
Greg's '88
Instructor

Default Re: Starting warm engine with A/C on causes "Check Engine Light"? (SunCr)

This weekend I will pull the codes to see if any are stored. I will post the results here for anyone else having a similar problem.

Thanks for the feedback.

Greg S. / Canyon Lake, CA.

Get notified of new replies

To Starting warm engine with A/C on causes "Check Engine Light"?

Quick Reply: Starting warm engine with A/C on causes "Check Engine Light"?