C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

86' EgR Tube Repalcement ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 11:56 AM
black86z51
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86' EgR Tube Repalcement ??

About a week ago I noticed that my Egr tube has a 2 pencil size holes in it. It has always had a pin size hole it, but I thought it was no big deal, but now it seems like its roting pretty quickly not only does it sound awful, its running like crap.

This last week it seems like I lost about 5 Mpg, and the car is just real weak, almost like its running on 7 cylinders, there are other problems too but they are hard to pinpoint basically the car is not running right.

So my question is, could the bigger holes in my egr tube be the cause of my problems, since the was running great until the holes got big, or is it just a coincidence. It seems to me a simple exhaust leak couldn't cause those problems but what the hell do I know.

If that is a Problem, could some one tell me how to replace the Egr tube, and is it hard. I always seem to make thing worse when I try to fix them LOL. I am getting better though.

Thanks Everyone
Old 06-17-2003, 01:04 PM
86VetteBill
Racer

Default Re: 86' EgR Tube Repalcement ?? (black86z51)

If you're talking about the skinny black plastic tubing that goes from the EGR to the switch up front by the thermostat, that's available at Pep Boys - cheap.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:40 PM
1MoorTym
Drifting

Default Re: 86' EgR Tube Repalcement ?? (black86z51)

Should not be that big a job. For your year, I believe the tube is flange fitted on one side and clamped on the other (exhaust manifold). The dealer should have this part, or I think TPIS sells thems as well because its needed with their headers when installing on a later year.

Poor running may be because of this leak. Enough exhaust gas may not be getting to the EGR for it to cool the combustion. Fix the leaky pipe and go from there.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:55 PM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: 86' EgR Tube Repalcement ?? (86VetteBill)

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the tube that goes from the intake to the RH exhaust manifold. You're going to have a difficult time getting the retaining ring cinched without the proper Oetiker pincer tool.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:42 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 86' EgR Tube Repalcement ?? (Ray Quayle)

:iagree:

I changed to a later style exhaust manifold which uses a solid pipe and two torx screws at both ends, not just the end which bolts to the intake manifold. Paid $20 at the junk yard - problem solved.

Get notified of new replies

To 86' EgR Tube Repalcement ??

Quick Reply: 86' EgR Tube Repalcement ??