C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Smell raw gasoline from the rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 08:53 PM
FussBudget
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Smell raw gasoline from the rear

I smell raw gasoline from the rear of the car. I already replaced the gas cap. When I open the gas cap, I don't hear the customary hiss of a pressurized gas tank. Does anyone know of common leaks from the rear of the car? Thanks.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:59 PM
atotalnincompoop
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Smell raw gasoline from the rear (madmanjim)

pull the rubber lining out of the gas door opening and check your fuel lines, you must have a leak there somewhere :cheers:
Old 07-06-2003, 09:17 PM
FussBudget
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Smell raw gasoline from the rear (atotalnincompoop)

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:41 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Smell raw gasoline from the rear (madmanjim)

That will probably play in with your code 26. Your canister purge isn't functioning and allowing the build up of vapors in the canister. That could be the reason for the gas smell as the canister never gets purged.

[Modified by ittlfly, 6:41 PM 7/6/2003]
Old 07-06-2003, 10:15 PM
goingvet
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Smell raw gasoline from the rear (ittlfly)

Hopefully you won't have this problem, but when all my hoses looked good, but the top of the tank looked like it might be damp, I pulled the rubber off and found that my entire sending unit cover was holding on by a thread of metal. It had rusted nearly all the way around between the hold down bolts and the inner portion of the sending unit metal. As stated earlier most likely problem is hose and/or purge cannister.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:31 PM
gh86E
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Smell raw gasoline from the rear (goingvet)

I had the smell of gasoline at the rear. When I got under to check the state of the spare, I noticed the corners of the tank were pretty well rusted. I ordered a new tank and fuel pump. When the mechanic dropped the tank, everything was rusted to heck - fuel lines coming out of sender were at the breaking-off stage. Water gets up into the top front of the tank, and rusts everything. I had to replace fuel lines, fuel pump, sender unit ($$$), as well as the tank. Fuel lines will be a challenge to find a suitable replacement for, sender unit will cost you dearly. Turns out I probably didn't need a new tank, as I read they have a bladder inside that would have kept the gas from leaking. But everything else was on borrowed time.

If you're lucky, (your profile says you have a '93), it may only be the purge canister or related lines. If your car was driven in rain a lot, then to be safe, you'll probably find you need to spend some $.

Gregg

Get notified of new replies

To Smell raw gasoline from the rear

Quick Reply: Smell raw gasoline from the rear