C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

One Last Question!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 03:51 AM
Soulja_350
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One Last Question!

Ok, Ok,
After reading and thinking alot about my car and what mods i should and could do, i have come to start thinking that the 600rwhp vette isnt going to happen anytime soon, so im going to start thinking about building wat i can run and afford.

I dont want a BigBlock Or A turbo. So therefore im going 2 a built s.b with Nos and maybe a sc later on.

Ok so let me start with the block:
Chevy Reconditioned Block
350/436

I think this is the best idea 4 short term but also long term :smash:

To Built it up and have it ready 4 n20 and sc i think i will have to spend around $8000 (is this enough or am i looking alittle more)
I will have to add abit more for shipping and other cost. My major problem is that i live in Australia and the Shipping will Kill me, but also that there arnt alot of good installors around so i guess i will have 2 do it myself. I have started to buy tools and other stuff that i will need 4 the installion. Do you have any tips of what i should and shouldnt buy (as in tools)

My Short Term Goal: Good Built Block that can hold a n2o and sc setup
My Med Term Goal: Adding N20
My Long Term Goal: Adding Sc

What do you guys think about that? im pretty sure this is the best opinion for me any input would be nice thanks :cheers:
Old 08-01-2003, 04:28 AM
Ramanstud
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: One Last Question! (Soulja_350)

I would suggest a 400ci small block. it will bolt up exactly the same as the 350 would, but you're leaps and bounds ahead with those extra cubes. All that other work your going to do will have even greater dividens. The weight of shipping and the cost of the block are roughly comparable as well. I would have used one, had I to do it all over again. Also you'll want forged pistons and very strong rods for the n2o or boost... others can help you with that aspect!

As for tools... I'd go with sears (the catalog is much cheaper than the stores). I say that because they're not terribly expensive and reasonably well made. The lifetime warranty on those babies has paid off more than once. :D
As for tools... Your standard SAE and Metric sets... don't forget deep sockets and extensions, universals, and adapters, breaker bar etc. all that standard issue stuff.
a good torque wrench that goes to ~200ft pounds, and a small one (inch pounds or whatever).
I really like the wratcheting wrenches they have out. Personal preference though, you can get by without them.
a MAPP or propane torch for breaking old bolts, etc. I never start a job without one.
hmm... have a hoist, stands, jack? this is the regular assortment, but I don't know what you have.

:lurk:

[Modified by Ramanstud, 4:31 AM 8/1/2003]
Old 08-01-2003, 04:48 AM
Soulja_350
Racer

Default Re: One Last Question! (Ramanstud)

but I don't know what you have.
No tools yet, i was going to go out 2day and see the prices, but i never got around to it, im just too lazy :lol: . Do you know of any Full Kit of tools?

Old 08-01-2003, 05:04 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: One Last Question! (Soulja_350)

You get a good deal if you buy their huge toolsets. Grab that and a rolling toolbox too.

My problem is, I buy the basic toolset, then I keep adding on to it, and this gets really expensive. Had I bought one of the massive sets to begin with, I'd be ahead right now.

They have some good sales, and you get 10% off if you're a Craftsman club member.

Just yesterday I bought a new torque wrench for 45 bucks, and a 73 pc toolset (a wedding gift) for 45 bucks.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:08 AM
Soulja_350
Racer

Default Re: One Last Question! (CentralCoaster)

You get a good deal if you buy their huge toolsets. Grab that and a rolling toolbox too.

My problem is, I buy the basic toolset, then I keep adding on to it, and this gets really expensive. Had I bought one of the massive sets to begin with, I'd be ahead right now.

They have some good sales, and you get 10% off if you're a Craftsman club member.
That is wat i was thinking about getting. I dont really know anything about tool brands which r the best? the only one that comes to mind is Snap-On.

Thanks 4 input :cheers:
Old 08-01-2003, 05:14 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Tools? Hmm...

Torquewrench
metric and sae combination wrench set
SAE and metric shallow and deep sockets, and ratchets
various extensions, 3/8 to 1/2" adapters and other sizes, universal joints
wobbly extension
Full set of Torx drivers or torx adapters for your 3/8" ratchet
breaker bar
full screwdriver set
bottle jack, floor jack, 2 ramps and 2 jackstands
flare nut wrenches (for brake lines and fuel line fittings)
slide hammer, pulley remover set
tap and die set
mini vice grips, channellocks and crescent wrenches of each size

That's a start. My brain is tired, forgive me. :sleep:

You can rent many of the specialty tools for rebuilding your engine... or buy them on an as needed basis.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:17 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

snap on makes great tools, but Craftsman is usually cheaper. The only problem I really have with craftsman is their sh^tty ratchets.

If you have a Sears nearby, Craftsman is the way to go... free and convenient replacement is a must when you break a tool.

Get notified of new replies

To One Last Question!

Quick Reply: One Last Question!