C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 HEADLIGHT MOTORS RUNNING

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 04:51 PM
cliff64
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 HEADLIGHT MOTORS RUNNING

OK, I'll buy that the reason that the motors keep running, after the headlights are up or down, is the motor bushings... However, when I only have the parking lights on and then turn them off, the headlight motors run for about 3 or 4 seconds.... Just turning the parking lights on and off should not run the headlight motors.... And, sometimes the headlight motors run just from starting the engine or shuting it off.... That sounds like electrical to me... But what is causing it??

I checked the archives and found some info on a box under the hood infront to the drivers side front tire with the word GUIDE on it but I cannot locate such a box and the service manuals do not disucss running headlight motors...

Help!! And, Save the Wave

:seeya
Old 08-24-2003, 05:36 PM
Kens86
Instructor

Default Re: C4 HEADLIGHT MOTORS RUNNING (cliff64)

Had a similar issue with the headlights on my 86, I had to call Mid America to get this part (head light control module). They have it, but not in the catalog and it cost near $100 + if I remember correctly. Anyway, replacing it did not fix the problem, the resolution was with the bushings that cost around $12. I would recommend you do this first.

Good Luck!
Old 08-25-2003, 01:33 AM
93LT1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep ! Bushing are on it's way out. Let me know if you need bearings. (the plastic sleeves attached to the motor shaft)
Hank
Old 08-25-2003, 07:25 AM
90EXPVette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just the bushings. I also heard the headlight motors running without flipping the lights before I changed mine. Must to part of a system check to ensure they're fully closed or something.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:05 AM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: C4 HEADLIGHT MOTORS RUNNING (90EXPVette)

I just noticed the same thing two days ago - jeez this vette will drive me crazy and I was already half way there without anyhelp.

Do I have to replace the complete car , bit by bit, to get a everything working ?

My symptoms were -I turned the fog lights on and when I turned them off I heard the RH headlight motor run for a few seconds. I turned on the headlights and when I turned them off the RH motor continued running for several seconds after they closed - is this the same thing ?

If so which bushings are they ? my vette is an 88.

TIA

S'nut.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:45 AM
jimmyd
Burning Brakes

Default Re: C4 HEADLIGHT MOTORS RUNNING (Stingraynut)

Do I have to replace the complete car , bit by bit, to get a everything working

Maybe, I fill like I'll probably have to.

My symptoms were -I turned the fog lights on and when I turned them off I heard the RH headlight motor run for a few seconds. I turned on the headlights and when I turned them off the RH motor continued running for several seconds after they closed - is this the same thing ?

YES

If so which bushings are they ? my vette is an 88.
TIA
Get the bushing repair kit from one of the vendors.
good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 HEADLIGHT MOTORS RUNNING

Quick Reply: C4 HEADLIGHT MOTORS RUNNING