C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 10:07 PM
95Purple
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problem

Ok here is my problem. Driving home tonight my car just shut down and stopped running. I rolled into a parking lot to restart but it just acted like it was out of gas with a full tank but no fuel pressure on my gauge. So I checked the fuses and the 10amp fuel pump fuse was blown. I had no replacement at the time so I used the 15amp fuse from the horn circuit. It ran and the car started and got me home without blowing again. My question is this a sign from God that the stock fuel pump is on its way out or could there be a problem somewhere else? Im going to put an amp meter on it to see what it drawing for current but that really wont tell me if it spikes every now and then. If it’s the pump are they hard to change and where is a good place to get one? It’s a 95.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:38 PM
FostersPerformance
Melting Slicks

Received 692 Likes on 482 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Re: Electrical Problem (95Purple)

I do this all the time, but yes you could be getting signs that the pump is on its way..Best thing to do is run the motor with a fuel pressure gauge taped to your windshield and go put it through its trials..Watch for major fluctuations in the pressure, then while its hot, let it run and physically listen to the pump as close as you can get..The pumps are almost always noisy when they are on there final passing...But yes fuses can just blow..Ive spent hours looking for reasons a fuse blew to find nothing,and never have it happen again....There is such things as defecs in workmanship with fuses also........
Old 09-08-2003, 08:11 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Electrical Problem (95Purple)

Fuses blow for a reason! You likely have abraded insulation on the wire going to the fuel pump. Check the full length of the wire. When fuel pump motors fail they usually stop drawing current not excessive current. Fuses do fatique, that is, the transient startup current pulse of equipment temperature cycles the fuse element and after a large number of events, the fuse weakens and finally blows on a startup.

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical Problem

Quick Reply: Electrical Problem