C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hey ski_dwn_it, please tell your Shleprock buddy to come home!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 08:10 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Nathan Plemons)

Scorp,

I all seriousness. If your going to get serious about racing, why not just pull the 4+3, and replace it with a good auto tranny? One like I have, Pro_built, built to shift like a manual, dead consistant/instant shifts. You will be miles ahead, especially if your sycros are messed up, which I hope they are not.

Its VERY tough to be consistant with a stick at the track. Not to mention the hammering it puts on rear ends, clutches, syncrs, and the tranny itself, which probably will NOT hold up long under repeated abuse.

You could have a pro_built tranny, setup for the strip, for ~1500 beans. Dana says they are good to low 10s power. Mine works flawlessly.

Just a thought for you, seems that tranny has been giving you a hassle for a while now. :cheers:
Old 09-26-2003, 08:16 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Re: (ski_dwn_it)

I all seriousness. If your going to get serious about racing, why not just pull the 4+3, and replace it with a good auto tranny?
To be honest, I just hate automatics. :) I love the feel of being able to row through the gears and tell the car exactly what I want it to do when I want it to do it. If anything I'd replace it with a ZF6, but they are just so expensive and I have other priorities I need to accomplish first. :) When I am on my game though and the car is doing good I'm usually pretty consistent. When it was stock I used to run within a couple of hundredths every run each visit to the track.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:23 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (scorp508)

Ahhhh scorp, your just bitter because they are hard to beat on the strip :D :jester

Just remember the more power you throw at that tranny, the harder its going to be to (1) shift it consistantly, (2) Keep it alive.

If an auto is setup for manual shifting, you can upshift and downshift just like your stick. I do it all the time. Its NOTHING like the stock auto, that is for sure.

Hope the problem your having is minimal. :cheers:
Old 09-26-2003, 10:07 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Re: (ski_dwn_it)

Ahhhh scorp, your just bitter because they are hard to beat on the strip :D :jester
:lol: Nah. I just have more respect to those who row em to perfection instead of point & shoot or point & click click click. :jester
Old 09-26-2003, 10:36 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: (scorp508)

I agree with you Scorp, it's just not the same. Sure an auto will easily outperform a manual at the track and will be more consistent. The problem is that I only drive my car at the track about 1% of the time.

A friend of mine has a 93 Z-28 that he managed to break his T-56 in. He replaced it with turbo 350 and a fairly low stall converter. His car is essentially set up the same as mine, same cam, etc. Unfortunately though his car is just no fun for driving. He's got a fancy proper NHRA lockout shifter that makes getting it in gear a multi step process. Sure he can upshift quickly but the downshift can be a little more complicated. The car also doesn't even drive worth a damn. Even with his fairly small converter you can feel the engine just revving away and doing nothing while you're sputtering away through town at low RPM's. It's not even a fun car to RIDE in.

Then there's the idea of if you took it down a twisty road. I can go from any gear to any other at a whim and know exactly where I'm going to land. My friend is either having to do it himself, if he wanted to go from high gear to low he would HAVE to go through all points in between. Not to mention that he only has 3 gears, so his gear ratios are far less than optimal. On a road course he might find the need for a gear between 1st and 2nd. The manual tranny has that option, he doesn't. He also can't effectively downshift to assist in braking either, so he's gonna be on his brakes more, which makes them fade faster.

I could go on but you already know all of this anyway. For me the auto is great for the 1/4 mile. If I had a drag only car I would put an auto in it, and I might could still make it streetable enough to drive around town. But for the most driving pleasure under every day conditions I want a manual. I wonder how many road race cars use auto tranny's?
Old 09-26-2003, 11:21 AM
ZylaRace
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click, click, I like the stick. :jester

Just a tid bit,.. don't bother w/ the ungraded lock washers. W/ the heat they weaken quickly. I use grade 8 split washers,.... they have never backed off,... yet. Think they cost me a whole $.50 more. Brass nuts allow me to take the bolts off anytime. Salt exposure or not.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:55 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with you Scorp, it's just not the same. Sure an auto will easily outperform a manual at the track and will be more consistent. The problem is that I only drive my car at the track about 1% of the time.
:iagree:

Friends dont let friends drive automatics! just kidding,,, a little :lolg:

Quick Reply: Hey ski_dwn_it, please tell your Shleprock buddy to come home!