C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Driving with emergency brake on.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 08:13 PM
Cardshark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving with emergency brake on.

I had to switch cars with my dad this weekend so I could drive my son around (my family car is in the shop). Apparently he forgot to take the emergency brake off and drove for a few miles at 35-40 MPH with it on.
The emergency brake is now shot, but I was wondering if any other damage could have been done to the car, such as my biggest fear, the engine. Thanks for any insight. :seeya
Old 09-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Bilyk
Drifting

Default Re: Driving with emergency brake on. (Cardshark)

you will need new shoes
rotors too
i highly doubt anything else broke
Old 09-27-2003, 08:24 PM
VetteTech81
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously it would put more stress on the drive train.. Assuming this is a C4 the parking brake is integral with the rear caliper which means if the parking brake is in op. it has effected the rear brakes as well.. leaving the parking brake on and cruiseing would cause quite a bit of heat build up depending also on how tight it was set.. probably glazed the heck out of the rear rotors and pads.. aslong as the seals and everything on the calipers are ok and not leaking I would imagine you would need new pads and the rotors cut.. as for other damage it may have decreased the life of your trans a little but that you can only guess at, because there are so many factors involved.. like mileage, service, and use/abuse.. so all I can say is have the rears checked out, and yes it could have put stress on the power train..
-Rick
Old 09-27-2003, 09:23 PM
dwestsr
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Driving with emergency brake on. (VetteTech81)

I agree with the need to replaace the rear pads and turn the rotors alng with a good inspection of the calipers. However, I would quit worrying about drive train stress, or a one time run with the ebrake on causing shorter tranny life. The vette drive train seesmore stress with a wot run through the gears than is possible in your situation. In other words your drive train aint that fragile. Just fix the rear brakes and quit worrying . :cheers:
Old 09-27-2003, 09:48 PM
jcook00
Instructor

Probably No Worries Cardshark, this happened to my car more than a few times with no obvious problems. Let me share a few of them.
1. The last time my wife drove the Vette (nearly 7 yrs ago) she got home and told me the brake light stayed on the whole time and she had to stay in 3rd gear to prevent stalling.
2. The vallet at one of my favourite restaurants brought the vette back to me and casually warned me that my brake light stays on.
3. The guy at the local tire shop that does my tires came into the lobby to tell me he tried everything to get my car to go but he thinks my transmission is gone out. He knew that because he could smell burned clutch like on his brothers camaro.
All this and 7 years plus 69K miles later she still runs like new. The lesson I learned is don't let anyone drive the Vette. Not the wife, not the vallet, not the fixit shops, not from here to there, not anywhere.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:23 PM
Cardshark
Instructor

Default Re: Driving with emergency brake on. (jcook00)

Thanks guys! At least I won't give myself a heart attack worrying if anything could be seriously wrong now. :hurray:
Old 09-28-2003, 08:23 PM
vettek50
Racer

The lesson I learned is don't let anyone drive the Vette. Not the wife, not the vallet, not the fixit shops, not from here to there, not anywhere.

NOW YOU KNOW! fix the brakes and let no one drive your car again!!!! :nono:
Old 09-28-2003, 08:31 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: Driving with emergency brake on. (vettek50)

Like stated above, if an automatic trans, probably created extra heat which may shorten the life, or if a stick, maybe burn the clutch up a bit.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:54 PM
87NassauBlue
Racer

You probably just need rear pads. Your rotors might be warped on the rear, but I wouldn't turn the first. They may be ok. You probably didn't hurt the drive train.

Get notified of new replies

To Driving with emergency brake on.

Quick Reply: Driving with emergency brake on.