C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT4 Hot Cam Kit on '90 L98 - Dumb Or Smart?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 03:18 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: LT4 Hot Cam Kit on '90 L98 - Dumb Or Smart? (Skippy Stone)

I am in the same boat as you. Almost identically actually...so I have been watching this thred.
Seems to me those who have it...love it.
But someone said they were running 13.2s. Not bad...but if you get a cam specialized for your worked over intake/exhaust (doing heads too?).
I think you could quite easily hit the 12s. At least thats what I plan on doing!

But don't you want a cam that has brute force from the bottom end just like the L98 currently has. Just some thoughts...
but I think that something designed for the LTR is a better choice.

I just got my heads and am having them flowbenched. Once that is done I will be calling comp cams/lunati/crane cams to see what they recommend to match it. Might want to try that!

Good luck!
Old 11-05-2003, 03:23 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: LT4 Hot Cam Kit on '90 L98 - Dumb Or Smart? (USAsOnlyWay)

getting work done on my '90 heads or getting other ones is probably out of the question......for anyone's info. this is a very fair question, certainly it changes things considerably, but now we're talking another big chunk of investment, and i really don't think i want to go there.......just too many other things in real life that costs $$ to maintain.

again, a tenth of a second here or there isn't a concern, its the real world impact when going from a stoplight to the highway ramp, then on down the road :D :cheers:

there was an earlier post about installing the LT4 hot cam with 4 degrees advance, apparantly this returns otherwise "lost" low end with this cam in the L98.

you bring up some good points, this is all part of what i'm trying to look into.

thanks to everyone for all this imput, this is really great :thumbs: :cheers:

P.S: yes, the more brute force that begins on the low end the better....for as long thru the RPM range as possible :thumbs:

[Modified by bradvette, 3:32 PM 11/5/2003]
Old 11-05-2003, 04:44 PM
War Machine
Le Mans Master

Location: Airport Cruise-in 1 Veteran Airport Cruise-in 2 Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: LT4 Hot Cam Kit on '90 L98 - Dumb Or Smart? (bradvette)

bradvette,

I think this cam will work well for your application. I have about 7k miles on my Hotcam Kit and have been doing quite a bit of tuning or de-tuning as of late for the emission test. I have a ported/siamesed plenum, base and runners. Also I have unported/unpolished heads, headers and 3.54 gears. Yes, there is some low end loss but a lot of that comes back when it's advanced to 10 degrees.

You have 3.33 so the loss won't be as significant as some one who has lower gears. This cam is designed to breath up in the mid 6k rpm range. You won't get there with the LTR set-up but it still pulls hard up to where the LTR stops making power. TPIS claims to have a cam that pulls to 6300 rpm's w/ a stock TPI and air foil. If I can figure out how they did that one, maybe my auto won't allow this, then there should be no problem using any kind of LTR set-up.

I wish I could get this on a dyno soon.

Old 11-05-2003, 06:41 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Default Re: LT4 Hot Cam Kit on '90 L98 - Dumb Or Smart? (Skippy Stone)

Gees Brad. Take a look at the posts. Guys like me, who actually had and still have the cam on modified L98s love it. People who don't have one keep saying bs about them.

I wish I still had my big mouth set-up just to smoke all those who don't think it works in an L98 with runners. If yas talk the talk, etc. :bs
I re-read the posts. I fail to see any bs mentioned. Nearly all said the HOT Cam is not optimized for the L98 that the original poster would like to install it in. Another offered suitable alternative specs to consider. Will the HOT Cam work/will it help? You bet. Could the person install a more suitable cam and pick up hp plus more low end for an extra couple hundred bucks? Yes.

I have the HOT Cam in my GS. The hp peak is at 6400 rpm and the motor spins to 6800 rpm An L98 engine will not realize the full potential of the cam, hence the suggestions to consider a different one optimized to his engine.

What the original poster has to decide is how much additional hp & low end tq is needed to justify the added expense of an aftermarket cam.

[Modified by 96GS#007, 5:43 PM 11/5/2003]
Old 11-05-2003, 06:47 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Default Re: LT4 Hot Cam Kit on '90 L98 - Dumb Or Smart? (96GS#007)

I hear ya Bradvette. I just don't want to throw a cam in and know it will never be fully realized you know?
And the only reason I bought new ones was that worked over 113 Ds were cheaper than working my irons.
Let me know what you decide!

And hey....Anyone have DYNO graph of an L98 with Hotcam? That should be a huge help!

Good luck!

[Modified by USAsOnlyWay, 5:48 PM 11/5/2003]
Old 11-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Default Re: LT4 Hot Cam Kit on '90 L98 - Dumb Or Smart? (96GS#007)

96GS#007, you state some outstanding points. I suppose what I've been trying to do all along is find as many reasons I can for getting what is still a very inexpensive roler rockers/cam upgrade kit. I still think the LT4 kit might be the way to go, I have to make more calls and look into the overall expense for this project.

Once again I REALLY APPRECIATE all the help! This forum is loaded with intelligent people who have so much to offer in experience, wisdom, and opinions :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 11-06-2003, 04:06 PM
C10 JDR
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brad, I too considered the hotcam for my '89, but as others above have said, the cam would seem to like more revs than the rest of the motor. I too have a limited budget, and street use only. I have ported and gasket matched the intake runners and heads, and gone with the Crane Powermax 2032, with 1.6 rr.

This cam is 214/220, 452/465 lift, 112LSA. The 1.6 rr will add a couple of degrees or so and put the lift in the 1/2" area. Can't report on the results yet, 'cos I am still work in progress. However I thought I would just make you aware, sounds about right to me.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:17 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Default Re: LT4 Hot Cam Kit on '90 L98 - Dumb Or Smart? (britvette)

John, it does indeed sound like you & I are in the very same boat :D

The more people I talk to - and some who have actually DONE this, the more I'm convinced this is the way to go. Why? For street use, its an incredible deal for price. For performance, yes, the Hotcam has more performance available that would be untapped, another 800 or so RPMs over L98 with full exhaust/intake work (whioch should be about 5,500 RPMs or in that area). No problem! The cost to get and more L98-oriented cam + 1.6rr's (or 1.52 as the case might be) and associated hardware will cost about twice - or a bit more - than the Hotcam kit. Thats in the area of $400-500 more. I think this is a big deal and makes a difference.

I dunno, this thing - by accounts of actual experience - pulls extremely hard from a the low all the way thru the mid 5,000's....and for the total price & value of everything, I'm hard pressed to go any other way at this point. This should really kick some azz. For street use, the whole kit should be durable and last many years to come. Of course, a custom chip will be a given.

The input has been very well received, and I'm fascinated by all the replies.
This is what its all about! :cheers:
Old 11-07-2003, 01:38 PM
qkvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We actually did this swap on my brother's 86. However, we did switch his intake to the SR and trick flow heads. He is running 3.73s and a 2200 stall converter. We never had a chance to dyno his car yet, but according to desktop dyno, it should be making close to 430 hp @5500 and 450ft lbs around 3800-4000 at the flywheel. I don't know how accurate desktop dyno is, but atleast it gives an idea of what the engine can theoretically put out.

Both he and I are running the same cam and we both pass the CA smog test.

Good Luck,

Joel
Old 11-08-2003, 04:45 AM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Default Re: LT4 Hot Cam Kit on '90 L98 - Dumb Or Smart? (scorp508)

Kamarorsss was running a hotcam in his '87. I forget exactly what he had but I think it was still the LTR and was banging out 13.2s or something like that. Maybe he'll chime in.
I am running big tube, big mouth LTR, stock heads, cam, tq converter, 307 rear pulling a 13.1. If I did a cam swap and was running 13.2 I would be severely pizzed. Personally I wouldn't do that cam with the LT. 74211 seems like it is a happy cam with that intake setup.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:20 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Default Re: LT4 Hot Cam Kit on '90 L98 - Dumb Or Smart? (hippy)

Kamarorsss was running a hotcam in his '87. I forget exactly what he had but I think it was still the LTR and was banging out 13.2s or something like that. Maybe he'll chime in.

I am running big tube, big mouth LTR, stock heads, cam, tq converter, 307 rear pulling a 13.1. If I did a cam swap and was running 13.2 I would be severely pizzed. Personally I wouldn't do that cam with the LT. 74211 seems like it is a happy cam with that intake setup.
Ok good point, thanks for your input. What would be the difference between installing the LT4 hotcam KIT - cam installed 4 degrees advanced vs. the #74211 cam (and going to the expense of getting other RR's like CC ProMagnums & associated hardware, plus the probability of having to have the heads machined to accomodate the stronger springs needed to handle the totoal lift that now goes to .560, ouch that would all be high $$$)?
Old 11-08-2003, 01:42 PM
hippy
Le Mans Master

I forgot to ask. What is the stall point on a stock L98 head? What lift number? I have it but don't wanna look for it.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:14 PM
Street89vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
If you search the archives you'll see that some have found pretty good success with this cam in an L98
Just finished TPI with Hotcam LT4
Ported intake, enlarged runners, with custom ecm
low end still pulls hard, mid range pulls great now
up to 6000 rpm. What more could you ask for ?
3 roll aluminum radiator with flowKooler pump,
165' degree idle in heavy traffic . I AM VERY IMPRESSED WITH THIS CAM.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:30 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Tornado
Actually I just got myself a stock ported plenum/base matched with AS&M large tube runners. Of course, I've done the K&N/open lid some time ago.
Oh and the intake setup alreadys has an AFPR as well.

As far as advance, thats 10 degrees and I'm wondering if thats too close to pinging and engine problems. I dont have a scan tool.
Advance camshaft 4 degrees not timeing. opps 14 year old thread

Last edited by A Peter C4; 02-09-2017 at 08:36 PM. Reason: opps 14 year old thread
Old 02-09-2017, 10:32 PM
rpoL98
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

even tho 14YO thread, still of interest to me (and perhaps others), that's why i'm subscribed to it.

i'm on the fence about putting the LT4 HOT, vs the ZZ4. along with the Edelbrock C4-L98-specific heads.

so i like to see what others are doing.

91 C4, Edelbrock TPI base, SLP siamesed runners, ported plenum, Stainless Works headers.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:12 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

There is nothing special or unique between those two motors they are both 350ci.
ZZ4 isnt bad but its a teeny cam why waste your time.
Some want to think so thye are the SAME engine size...reverse cooling so fn what. Size is size period
So do some headwork. intake work wont be that much difference.
Way better than stock. If thats all you got stick it in. Its a small cam just gentler ramps. So if it gives up early port...of get a different intake. Its not some monster cam you got to worry about.
Even with long runner intake it will work ok its only 218 @050 a baby cam. That size will work on an LT1, TPI or carb/performer intake/600cfm carb. Its not UNIQUE. dont listen to that nonsense. Folklore NEVER made anybody any power. Just stuff that works even if its not "internet perect" who cares.
Have an "internet grossly mismatched" engine and guarantee it will put about any C7 even with mods to shame.

Last edited by cv67; 02-10-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:49 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rpoL98
even tho 14YO thread, still of interest to me (and perhaps others), that's why i'm subscribed to it.

i'm on the fence about putting the LT4 HOT, vs the ZZ4. along with the Edelbrock C4-L98-specific heads.

so i like to see what others are doing.

91 C4, Edelbrock TPI base, SLP siamesed runners, ported plenum, Stainless Works headers.
Well after all these years, still enjoy my 87 L98
SRam,219Cam,AFR195 Heads, 3200 Vigilante & D44 3.45
0-100 mph under 4.83 segs

Last edited by Calderone; 02-12-2017 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: LT4 Hot Cam Kit on '90 L98 - Dumb Or Smart?