C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Tires, Tires, Tires ?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 02:53 PM
Garys '92 LT1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires, Tires, Tires ?????

Questios:
Does anyone out there have any heartburn with the Dunlop 8000 series tires? I'm due for some new skins, and the price sure seems right on these, but what will I be giving up? I currently have the Goodyear GS's on, and I only got about 22,000 out of them, but I also drive a bit more aggressive... All comments welcomed...

Thanks... :steering:
Old 11-25-2003, 02:59 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Tires, Tires, Tires ????? (Garys '92 LT1)

I have used:
Firestone Firehawks: Great tires! I got 50,000 miles out of a set on my Vette.
BF Goodrich KDWS: Didn't have them on long before replacing the rims on my Vette. They seemed to handle well in the rain.
Fulda Xtremo: Decent tires. Size selection is limited. Had them on the front before replacing the rims. Handled well in the rain, tread wear was good.
Pirelli: Crap. Wore out in less than 15,000 miles.
Toyo Proxies: Have them on now. I like them. If I can get close to the mileage I could get out of Firestones, I will have found a new tire for my Vette.
:cheers:
Old 11-25-2003, 03:07 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the best tire you can afford to replace yearly for performance.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:27 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,423 Likes on 1,030 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I think Firestone SZ50 is the best, but Kumho is best for the $$$
Old 11-25-2003, 04:59 PM
McShagger
Safety Car

I have had on my car:

Yokohama (I cant remember what they were-old model) - good price, not very good grip, kinda hard ride so it was kinda loud. the breakaway is fairly predictable. Tread wear did not last. Overall, Not good. However, I have tested the AVS sport and AVS db... The AVS sports were quite good with handling, performance, ride and breakaway.

Kumho 712 - great price! Very good grip. smooth ride. unpredictable and choppy breakaway. Overall, probably the best value out there.

Falken Ziex 512 - good price. so-so grip. smooth ride. a bit noisy with a hum. Fun breakaway that is very controlable. Tire wear was not that good, but maybe thats because I had my share of fun with them. Overall, not a bad choice at all.

Falken GRB 451 - Just got these to replace my rears cuz I got them for a good price. The look bitchin'. nice ride. very good grip. So far from what I can tell, the breakaway is pretty good, but I still need to go to the track and test em out.

I have tested on other cars:
BFG KD - excellent for the track. Probably not good for street.
BFG KDW - I would recommend to others who are considering this tire.
Yokohama AVS Sport - same as above.
Yokohama AVS db - Not bad. If you can get a deal on them, they may be worth it.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:39 PM
REW89
Pro

Default Re: Tires, Tires, Tires ????? (McShagger)

My 89 had Dunlop 8000's on it when I bought it from the orignal owner. In essence I owned them the last 2 years of their life. I thought they were pretty good, but road noise was a little much. (But not near as loud as Goodyear!!!)

I looked at purchasing a new set when I replaced the tires but I got Bridgestone Potenza's instead since users rated them lower on road noise and price, at the time, was about the same.

Bob
Old 11-25-2003, 07:15 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

It's about time Goodyear made a decent replacement for the GS-C at a better price and the F1 GS-D3 is a great looking tire for the money by comparison (at least at the tirerack) it seems to be a great performer for the money.With the larger outside shoulders you also are less likely to develop the cupping on the outside edge of the tire that our C-4s are so common to produce. :thumbs:

[Modified by 96CollectorSport, 12:18 AM 11/26/2003]
Old 11-25-2003, 08:27 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Gary,

I have the Dunlop 8000s on my Vette. I've had them for a couple of years and they seem really nice. Mine are quiet, as compared to the original Goodyears. I also like the way they corner, although, I don't really put them to their limit, except up on Rt 74A/64 going from Chimney Rock to Ashville where I finally got the ASR to kick in during a couple of good turns. :yesnod: Glad to see you back on the forum :thumbs:
Old 11-25-2003, 08:41 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Tires, Tires, Tires ????? (96CollectorSport)

I'm running the F1-GS-D3s which replaced the GS-C's. I really like them. I had a little problem initially with balancing, but then it was discovered that the rim weights were causing the pressures to drop because of the tires' rim guard. So last Saturday then pulled all the weights and re-balanced them with the stick on weights in the inside center of the wheel.

All I can say is WOW, what a difference that made. Not only are they very quiet, produce excellent handling characteristics, and handle extremely well on wet roads, but now they are so smooth and vibration free. I definitely recommend using the stick on weights now that I've experienced the difference.

Oh the F1-GS-D3s were 209 each for the fronts out the door and 201 each for the rears. That price included lifetime balancing and flat repair, and taxes/fees. Over all they were about 300 plus cheaper than the GS-Cs were. That was at Discount Tire (highly recommended).

:seeya
Old 11-25-2003, 08:44 PM
johnnyevans
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary, had them on my 89. Got 30k out of them. Best life tire pressure seems to be around 30-32 psi. Much more than that, wear in the center. desent traction, good cold traction, great cornering.

Sumitomos, not good cold.

[Modified by johnnyevans, 8:45 PM 11/25/2003]
Old 11-25-2003, 08:47 PM
rsafier
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Tires, Tires, Tires ????? (Strick)

I had Dunlap 8000s on my car for about 2 years. Got about 15000mile on them before I replaced them, probably could have pushed 20000miles but would have been bald and at the cords by then. Moved to Kumho 712s, feel like that have slightly better dry grip, and awesome wet traction (for a type of this type). They actually feel more stable at 60mph in the rain then my all-seasons on my Saturn. Tire wear is pretty good. Have about 10K on them right now, probably about 50-60% left. I rotate my fronts to rear every 2000 miles or so to even out the wear. On an 85 that is feasable since its 16x9.5" all the way around.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:31 AM
Curveit
Drifting

Gary (cool name) I have the Kumho MXs for about 5K now and I'm very satisfied with good all-around handling (wet/dry), quiet, good ride, and very good price. The tread looks nice, but the side-walls are strange. I would possibly switch to Goodyears next time, if they offer 18s in my size. I've heard a lot of good things about them. Just my $.02.

:chevy
Old 11-26-2003, 06:00 AM
michelc4
Intermediate

hi gary

i have a set of Avon on my 95 Lt1,
they have a good grip but are dangerous on the rain.
the last tires was Pirelli P7000 , they was excellent tires in all conditions.

but if you want the best go to MICHELIN cocoricoo........ :hurray:
Old 11-26-2003, 06:00 AM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Am on my 2nd set of Firehawks, great tires! Stick like glue, certed to 160mph in the rain, and they hold up well to burn-outs! :D
Old 11-26-2003, 09:21 AM
Garys '92 LT1
Intermediate

Hey Guy's... Thank you so much for all the input on the tires question... I'm sure that this is a question that a lot of Vette owners can relate to, and there seems to be a wide range of opinions on the matter... I've been to the Tire Rack and read some of the owner comments... Armed with that information, plus the comments from all the fine folks here on the forum, I should have an easier time of my tire buying... Thanks again guy's..

Gary... :thumbs: :steering:
Old 11-26-2003, 09:35 AM
93aqua
Drifting

Default Re: Tires, Tires, Tires ????? (vader86)

I think Firestone SZ50 is the best, but Kumho is best for the $$$
:iagree:
Old 11-26-2003, 10:54 AM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Tires, Tires, Tires ?????

I like my Kumho's :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Tires, Tires, Tires ?????

Old 11-28-2003, 01:53 PM
McShagger
Safety Car

Default Re: Tires, Tires, Tires ????? (93aqua)

I am curious about that comparison and other comparisons with the Firestones. A whole lot of people here say they are great. But in general, I dont see a lot of those people using them at the track. Anyone have more performance comments on them? I want comments from real racers, not the corvette people I see at a lot of autocross. So many vetters just cruise through the corse... you cant even hear those Nancys go by you.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:05 PM
CarAteMyMoney
Racer

Default Re: Tires, Tires, Tires ?????

A friend of mine has the Kumho's on an '02 Z-28, he's extremely happy with them except in the rain.

I've got the Goodyear GSC's on my vette.. scary in the rain (car changes lanes by itself) and I get no traction off the line.

My Mustang has a set of BFG g-Force KDWS, EXCELLENT all around tires!

My Camaro has Cooper Cobra GTZ's (asymetical tread) and they're also excellent.. just avoid the cheaper Coopers :cheers:
Old 11-29-2003, 06:51 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the good year eagles and am having a hard time hooking up. I am going to give the Kumhos a try and see how that works out.

Quick Reply: Tires, Tires, Tires ?????