C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

California C4 owners to face tougher Smog Check and other bad stuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 01:42 AM
Third Gear
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: California C4 owners to face tougher Smog Check and other bad stuff (SunCr)

The real casualty of such Orwellian ideas...
You got it, this is 1984 all over again. I swear, as time goes on California pisses me off more and more. Is this what goes through their heads everyday?

Gee... what can we do to f!@# up California today? Oh! Oh! I know... let's give illegals driver licenses! Ya, that'll be real cool... Oh and while I was watching the Flintstones today, I thought it might be a good idea for pollution if we make all the cars have a set of pedals in them instead of those EVIL gas engines... yup that sounds good. :lol:

Damn, I don't even know why I vote sometimes. The odds are against me... but that doesn't me I won't try :D

So guys, who wants to move out of California? I say all us Cali guys start a Corvette relocation group, and start evaluating what would be a cool place to move. :jester

That or let's find a way to hook that remote sensor up to a computer separate from our car's and have it transmit what they want to hear. That'll screw 'em :cheers:
Old 02-09-2004, 02:11 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Re: California C4 owners to face tougher Smog Check and other bad stuff (Hib Halverson)

This looks like a good start... we should edit this a bit to take a little edge off it to stay on topic so those thin skinned ***** can judge the reaction... then forward it to Sacramento from as many different addresses as we can...
Just thinking out loud here...

Old 02-09-2004, 12:13 PM
TM-Z06
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: California C4 owners to face tougher Smog Check and other bad stuff (Hib Halverson)

I personally think this boils down to one thing - $$$$$. This state is in such a financial crisis, that these governmental bodies will do just about anything to gather more capital from the people. Arnold repealed the tripling of the DMV tax (thank God), and vowed not to raise taxes. He has cut so much from the liberals over inflated budgets, that they must do something to keep their ***** "fat". How do they do that - get money from those that you aren't getting money from. Older cars cost very little to register - and they don't have to be smogged, thus the Sate is not getting any money from them. Pure and simple - $$$$$$$
Old 02-09-2004, 01:23 PM
sinc93
Instructor

Default Re: California C4 owners to face tougher Smog Check and other bad stuff (TM-96CE)

I have a 93 Vette with a TPIS chip, SLP headers and Flowmaster exhaust. It passed the enhanced dyno test no problem with a lot of room. I don't see what the problem is. I also had a 69 396-375 hp Camaro 4 years ago with an updated roller cam and proper smog pump. It ran very clean and you could stand behind the pipes and barely smell the exhaust. I'm pretty sure it would have aced smog if it was required. I'm sorry but with the amount of cars out here, you have to have your exhaust clean. It also forces the aftermarket guys to come up with better solutions. Superchargers are legal out here also. I hate it when I'm sitting for 1.5 hours in rush hour traffic only to be gagging on exhaust from some car that obviously has removed his cat's, is out of tune or it's from out of state. It never ceases to amaze me when you can have this many cars on the road out here and still have a blue sky. It's tough to fathom but there are other outdoor hobbies other than cars in California and we best respect that.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:03 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I certainly hope that you guys can muster enough support to stop those intended measures from being enacted.

And I must agree that the liberals will push similar things in other states where their numbers are sufficient. Consider FL or NY where you no longer have the "choice" to smoke even in a bar.

Always remember that, though you may not use a particular freedom (or even agree with it), once you allow the state to take the opotion away it is just one more milestone toward bigger government with more control over your life.

The comment about $$ motive is right on. Consider the cost to the car owner as well as the tax revenue from purchase & installation of such "retrofit" smog devices. If the occasional motorist with poor emissions control is annoying try closely following a city bus or school bus for a while!

The area around NY city, which I once liked very much, is getting a little too far into "left field" these days....sooo...time to move.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:22 PM
wake
Race Director

Default Re: California C4 owners to face tougher Smog Check and other bad stuff (sinc93)

I have a 93 Vette with a TPIS chip, SLP headers and Flowmaster exhaust. It passed the enhanced dyno test no problem with a lot of room. I don't see what the problem is. I also had a 69 396-375 hp Camaro 4 years ago with an updated roller cam and proper smog pump. It ran very clean and you could stand behind the pipes and barely smell the exhaust. I'm pretty sure it would have aced smog if it was required. I'm sorry but with the amount of cars out here, you have to have your exhaust clean. It also forces the aftermarket guys to come up with better solutions. Superchargers are legal out here also. I hate it when I'm sitting for 1.5 hours in rush hour traffic only to be gagging on exhaust from some car that obviously has removed his cat's, is out of tune or it's from out of state. It never ceases to amaze me when you can have this many cars on the road out here and still have a blue sky. It's tough to fathom but there are other outdoor hobbies other than cars in California and we best respect that.
Our vehicles are easy targets anymore... The state tightens up regulations on us hobbyists (ie: those who can afford to pay extra and have little voice), and loosens up other industries ability to pollute... Scrappage bills really just take the pollution quantity from the car and sell it to industry, where's the savings there???

Another example is all the landscape businesses working here in So.Cal... Gotta love having to close my windows on a nice spring day because some non-english speaking guy is outside running a gas powered blower next door and stinking up my place with his exhaust and blowing all the dust up in the air... Is that healthier than my exhaust??? :mad The enviornmentalists tried once to outlaw these small gas powered tools but failed when their fair weathered enviornmentalist friends realized that on top of destroying the, "yard boy" industry they'd also be faced with taking care of their own yards, manually...

Industry creates a lot of pollution here, many times much more than vehicles... I work near a lot of chemical type facilities here in the L.A. area and sometimes when I go outside in the middle of the night to get some supposed fresh air all I smell is what appears to be the strong smell of acid or solvents in the air... That crap didn't come from a tailpipe...

One major reason that nobody seems to care about us enthusiasts is there aren't that many of us overall... With most new vehicles leased nowadays, most of them are under warranty while the lessor has them... Not to mention that most new vehicles on the road today are SUVs which don't have to meet the same emissions standard as cars because they are classified differently... At the other end of the spectrum are the, "poor" who won't really have to worry about it... They'll either be given money from us taxpayers to retrofit/bring into compliance their older vehicles, or given a waiver like they currently are... Us, "middlemen" the ones who aren't rich, yet don't qualify for freebies are the only ones that pay...

I'm also tired of having a clean running car yet having to worry about what kinds of non pollution contributing devices I can have on it... CARB has to have their extortion money to certify parts to use here but a lot of times it does no good... I've run into smog idiots who tried to flunk me on the tests although my car runs clean, they don't know what CARB EO is, and only fixate on the fact I have a non-stock item on my vehicle... And even without an EO, it shoudn't matter as long as the vehicle can pass emissions...

If Kalifornia really cared about clean air more than dollars and feel good measures then I'd back them and suffer the inconveniences to do my part... What I'm tired of is doing my part only to have them sell it off to someone else to spew into the air... :mad :cuss

Hopefully 3 more years at the outside and I'll be leaving this state never to return... :cuss
Old 02-09-2004, 03:51 PM
HiRiser
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: California C4 owners to face tougher Smog Check and other bad stuff (wake)

Remember to vote HELL NO on everything on this next ballot. All the spending is for salaries, pensions and consultants. :yesnod:
Old 02-09-2004, 03:54 PM
sinc93
Instructor

Default Re: California C4 owners to face tougher Smog Check and other bad stuff (wake)

Well if you don't think you are helping out with the smog by keeping your car tuned up etc.., just search the internet for some pictures of California smog in the 50's and 60's. A lot less cars and for some reason a heck of a lot more smog?? ( Not to mention 2 stroke engine yard blowers probably didn't exist back then either. ).
Old 02-09-2004, 10:20 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: California C4 owners to face tougher Smog Check and other bad stuff (sinc93)

Well if you don't think you are helping out with the smog by keeping your car tuned up etc.., just search the internet for some pictures of California smog in the 50's and 60's. A lot less cars and for some reason a heck of a lot more smog?? ( Not to mention 2 stroke engine yard blowers probably didn't exist back then either. ).
For a real opener, fly across the US this summer and watch the air turn progressively brown after AZ. Makes you appreciate what's been accomplished out here.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:39 PM
TOO_HOTTVETTE
Burning Brakes

California is over rated. Move to south Florida, No smog *****, or left wing fanatics. Great year round Vette weather.....On second thought...stay there, it's getting crowded down here.... :bb
Old 02-09-2004, 11:28 PM
sinc93
Instructor

Default Re: California C4 owners to face tougher Smog Check and other bad stuff (TOO_HOTTVETTE)

Thanks SunCr. Yes last year I believe it was that L.A. lost the smoggiest city title to Houston. ( No offense intended Houston, I have Friends there. ). That's pretty impressive considering there is a higher average cars per person in California. I'm sure Florida is nice, but it's not trapped in a basin like L.A. with mountains preventing the air from clearing.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: California C4 owners to face tougher Smog Check and other bad stuff (TOO_HOTTVETTE)

There have been many many good points made here, and many :bs ones as well. I don't mind having smog laws enforced either. I want those fat azz SUV's reclassed as cars and then forced to meet low emissions just the same as us.

My 93 Corvette just passed emissions with flying colors. Yeah, it took two new cats to do it and a new gas cap, but it passed with readings as low as any new car. Why? Because it is properly tuned and all emissions equipment ARE hooked up. I hate following these old azz cars on the road these days because you can tell everytime you are behind one on the highway. All you smell is unburned fuel spewing from it's butthole. Clean it up or get rid of it. Simple as that.

There is no excuse for not having smog equipment on a car/truck now. Why? Take a look at the newer cars today. Zero emissions and putting down over 300HP. Technology exists now to have your cake and eat it too. I think my buttometer will not miss 5-10hp if it helps clear the air somehow.

Low Income People?? If you can't afford to fix your car, then its likely your cheap azz doesn't have insurance either and therefore shouldn't be on the roads to begin with. I have no pity on the lower income people. Get a real job, get the hell out of the welfare line and take public transportation until you get your poopie together. I'm paying most all my way through college (I'm 39) because I spent a lifetime figuring out that without a college education I won't make the money I want for the things I want. I'm doing something about it.

Granted, some things are out of control here. Well, if you don't vote and you don't write and get involved, THEN SHUT THE HELL UP and take what you get. Non activity is why these laws make it. People are lazy and thinking that everybody else will protect them from these laws. Hib is getting the word out. WELL, DO SOMETHING WITH THIS INFO. VOTE!!! Politicians only understand what they are hearing. GET HEARD!!! VOTE OUT EVERY SINGLE POLITICIAN THAT DOESN'T VOTE TO YOUR SATISFACTION. Send a message that we are tired of the corruption, beuracratic crap and stupidity of politics.:mad

One thing I do like about living here in SoCal, besides the gorgeous weather. Not having to breath second hand cigarette smoke in the malls, restaurants and bars. If only 25% of the American people are confirmed smokers why allow them free rein?? What about us 75%ers out here?? Nothing worse then having the smell of good food ruined because of the stench from a cigarette. :U :nopity
Old 02-10-2004, 03:32 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That's pretty impressive considering there is a higher average cars per person in California.
My hippie roommate gets pissed at me because I have two cars. Well, I can only drive one car at a time ********! :rolleyes:

I have no faith in statistics. They're only a means of justifying ignorance.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:38 AM
sinc93
Instructor

Default Re: California C4 owners to face tougher Smog Check and other bad stuff (CentralCoaster)

Well if you own two cars, there is less of a chance that you're going to take mass commute right? Whatever, I think you know what I mean. More cars are on the road per person here than anywhere else. If you don't believe any statistics, then go ahead and disable your airbag since statistically speaking it will save your squash if you rear end someone.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:31 AM
El Guapo
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03

The whole smog **** system is really pissing me off right now. :mad
Old 02-10-2004, 03:03 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you don't believe any statistics, then go ahead and disable your airbag since statistically speaking it will save your squash if you rear end someone.
Now that's more like it! I don't have airbags or ABS or ASR... so lets let statistics worry about that, if they feel the need.... :party:
Old 02-11-2004, 02:23 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

For those of you unfamiliar with Kalifornia's gun laws, the liberal law makers have proven they can seize control of your freedoms without blinking. Now its our cars. And if any of you think for one minute "this can't happen here", think again. They are coming to take your cars!
The ACCC Association of California Car Clubs Inc. has been fighting for our rights as collectors and hobbyists. I joined this past weekend at the Sacramento Autorama after listening to a couple of vendors discussing this very subject. They pointed me to the ACCC booth and suggested I join.
Check out http://www.acccdefender.org and see for yourself.
And for those that think this is only a Calif problem, look again. Your states representitives are always ready to follow the leader...... :nonod:

-JRC-

Quick Reply: California C4 owners to face tougher Smog Check and other bad stuff